You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I want to be very specific

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

Default I want to be very specific

I am looking for a very specific type of drama/mystery games, as dark as they can be. I have played Still Life 2 and I've enjoyed it the most. It was less about puzzles and the searching of items to carry and more about the deduction from clues and information you gather. I would like to play such games (plus if they can have a dark plot like still life I'll be very happy).

Please if any one can recommend games that are in that spirit I'll be thankful. I am trying to play some but they mostly revolve around "the item you missed picking up behind the coach since it's really dark, small and camouflaged" sort-of-thing which is not my cup of tea.

Thank you
Old 05-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened - Remastered Edition and The Last Express

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM   #3
Advie.1

try sanitarium and midnight Nowhere
they as dark as it gets

Old 05-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Grue Master

If its a dark story you are after the first one that comes to mind to me is John Saul's Blackstone Chronicles: An Adventure in Terror
Old 05-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Chris Barraclough

Sanitarium and Blackstone Chronicles are excellent, def agree with those. Last Express is a good detective mystery game too - that and Sanitarium are both available on GOG.

I'm playing Gemini Rue at the moment which is a dark noir/sci-fi mystery, so far very good, and meets your requirements. It's pretty cheap on Steam.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #6

In case you didn't know, the original Still Life is considered to be significantly better than Still Life 2 so that would be the most natural place to start. And also, Still Life is a sequel/spin-off of Post Mortem. They are more traditional than part 2 so not exactly what you want, but if you liked part 2 so much you would probably enjoy them just for the characters and stories. Both are available on Steam.

Last edited by strandiam; 05-12-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandiam View Post
Both are available on GoG.
Fixed.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #8
The Quiet One

The Gabriel Knight trilogy sound like they fit your description perfectly, especially the first two!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-14-2012, 12:54 AM   #9

Default Thank you all

Thanks for all the reccomendations.
I've obviously finished post mortem, still life 1 and even the somewhat related Art of Murder series. I've just finished sherlock holmes 2: the case of the silver earring and what a wonderful game (though I am sad that I didn't answer the final optional Quiz correctly )
I am off to play SH3: The Awakened

2 more Qs:

1. I know of 6 SH games accroding to the Sherlockholmesgame.com website. Are there any others?

2. Anyone familiar with The Chronicles of Mystery series? If so, any opinions?
Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkctm View Post
1. I know of 6 SH games accroding to the Sherlockholmesgame.com website. Are there any others?
Yes, but not by Frogwares, and they're older but I consider them in some aspects even better than the newer ones.

- Case of the Serrated Scalpel - plays like a typical Sierra/LucasArts game, rich story, many London locales...

- Case of the Rose Tattoo - with FMV actors, even more detailed, plenty of things to expect and READ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmkctm View Post
2. Anyone familiar with The Chronicles of Mystery series? If so, any opinions?
It's like an offspring to Art of Murder - they're virtually the same, but CoM acts more like a conspiracy/mystery in the vein of Broken Sword.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:15 AM   #11

Default I might add

Games of first person view gives me a headache
I checked out videos regarding the blackstone and though it's first person view, you are not moving the camera with your mouse so it a "Still scene" screen so it's fine.
I really liked the deductive characteristic of SH2, with the quizzes and all.
Are the 2 you recommended first-person view? (The first SH of frogwares - the mystery of the mummy was terrible IMO)