You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Miskatonic - impressions?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #1

Default Miskatonic - impressions?

Stumbled over information about a point & click game called Miskatonic. Seems to be an indie game based on the work of HP Lovecraft. Never heard about it before until today and I was wondering if anyone of you played it and if you have any positive or negative comments on it.

http://www.miskatonicgame.com/

Have a great weekend Y'all!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #2

AGs didn't like it.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-11-2012, 01:26 AM   #3

Hmmm....quite sad.. Oh well, I guess I will have to continue to wait for a new Lovecraft adventure game. Thx for the link!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 AM   #4
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
AGs has been wrong before.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
AGs has been wrong before.
Just not with this game.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #6
Advie.1

there is no wrong and right in receiving and appreciating Art..

"Ozzy is the Greatest Metal Singer of all time"
"Naaah ..Ozzy Sucks , Dio Rules"

and the People here in AG trying to follow some sort of Judging standards, i Guess not necessarily based on the past (as comparing to the golden age) or the current nowadays scene (where hardness and difficulty became a con).

but someone had to do that evaluating job ,

i remember i suggested a reader ratings that would follows the AG's within a month of the game AG's review and rating would appears as poll (maybe) for those players who tried the game out within that month.

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 05-11-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #7
She Wants Revenge

Ratings aren't everything. I read reviews and look at the scores and will definitely try out the games that are praised to heavens. But when it's bad reviews I don't necessarily let them stop me, especially if there are some serious fans.

For example Next Life also got 2 stars but loads of people find it very enjoyable adventure - me included.

I have no idea about this title but if I were a huge Lovecraft fan I definitely would give it a chance anyway. I might try this out one day myself.
Old 05-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Just not with this game.
You've played it, have you?

Thought not.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #9

Quote:
You've played it, have you?

Thought not.
Except I did. If this is the response I get, then no further explanation is needed.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #10

I think the reviewer was quite harsh, and though not incorrect about many aspects, should have approached it a bit more as a first game by an indie developer. From that perspective I found it quite enjoyable, and it was nice to see that the developer succeeded in some scenes/episodes, but was struggling in other ones. It would have been wiser perhaps when the developer had waited to release this episode in order to polish some of the scenes, for the flaws in some scenes were avoided in other ones. Though the game uses as may be expected some stereotypical environments (of course many will remember Keepsake, and an asylum isn't unexpected as well), a big pro I think was that the game managed to create – I know it is quite vague – atmosphere. But it certainly made me curious about the next episode, not only in terms of game play, but also to see improvements.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart View Post
I think the reviewer was quite harsh, and though not incorrect about many aspects, should have approached it a bit more as a first game by an indie developer.

Adventure Gamers never reviews games from that perspective and that is why I value their reviews more than those from other AG specific sites, which very often come across as puff pieces. If you're charging money for your game then it is a commerical release and should be judged as such. Even the price of the game (ie it may be cheap) can't really be factored into a review because that is an ephermal factor and the reviews will stay for years.

I feel that a review I read on this site is the author's honest opinion about a game, and not a favour for a friend to help them sell it to me.

I haven't played this game but I might at some point. I like Lovecraft and horror games, although this looks to have a slightly cartooney tone, which I generally don't care for. But I would rather wait and see how future chapters get reviewed; if the series seems to progress I will get it and play from start to finish, which I prefer to do anyhow.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #12
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Except I did. If this is the response I get, then no further explanation is needed.
My apologies then.

At the very least, it should have got a higher score than a silly, childish game like Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle. Miskatonic isn't great but it at least assumes of its audience an intelligence slightly higher than that of a donkey
Old 05-13-2012, 02:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Adventure Gamers never reviews games from that perspective and that is why I value their reviews more than those from other AG specific sites, which very often come across as puff pieces. If you're charging money for your game then it is a commerical release and should be judged as such. Even the price of the game (ie it may be cheap) can't really be factored into a review because that is an ephermal factor and the reviews will stay for years.
Of course one can defend that every (commercial) game should be judged in the same way. But "being a commercial game" isn’t a good measure per se, though it can be one of more measures. In professional reviews of - for instance - cars one will judge a car that cost $10000 differently from a car that cost $100000, and different standards will be used. And there are more parameters that are of interest in this example (one developer vs 60 developers; first vs 10th game, available funds, software etc.). I think at least some attention should be paid to the circumstances.

Last edited by mart; 05-13-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #14
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
I haven't played this game but I might at some point. I like Lovecraft and horror games, although this looks to have a slightly cartooney tone, which I generally don't care for. But I would rather wait and see how future chapters get reviewed; if the series seems to progress I will get it and play from start to finish, which I prefer to do anyhow.
This. With chapter games it's easy to just wait for another and see if the series improves or just sucks more.
I prefer to start games anyway after there is already several chapters to play, often the chapters are so short you pretty much just get angry .
Old 05-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #15

Quote:
My apologies then.

At the very least, it should have got a higher score than a silly, childish game like Captain Morgane and the Golden Turtle. Miskatonic isn't great but it at least assumes of its audience an intelligence slightly higher than that of a donkey
I haven't played Captain Morgane yet, so I'll have to wait on judgement. :/ I understand though.