You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Great Titles that Left Behind (a confession)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default Great Titles that Left Behind (a confession)

Nothing Big actually , but i was wondering how many Games there of the Best that i had always Skipped / Neglected / Left Behind ..

its strange , i hear a title repeated Thousands of Times and it could be one the best Adventure of all time , recommended by all adventurer but still somehow i turn my back on it.
maybe it became outdated for me, maybe i just stubborn or i just feel like i dont want to look back when i have much other new releases in front of me!

Here is a handful of Titles that i never touched.

Gabriel Knight II the beast within : i played the 1st and the 3rd and i loved the cartoony Themes with both but when i tried it (GK2) after all that praising i heard about, i found out that i was a kinda disappointed due to me figuring i am not at ALL an FMV fan at ALL.

Sam & Max Hit The road : i was always a Sierra man,and at those blooming times of Lucas-Sierra , i for sure played All MI's- Loom- DotT .....etc ,but when it always comes to hearing the title Sam and Max i felt it like (i m not sure) its gonna be a so childish game something similar to Sierra's Ecoquest ... though i played the telltale's Episodic releases but never had the guts to look back at it.

Tex Murphy's Game i was used to that sierra theme and outlook and when i tried the 1st Part '93 i was feeling so differently so i kept my hand off it all the way.

Gobliins : though i loved Woodruff so much and due to the 90's shortage of publicity , INTERNET , Adventuring community i thought it was too late to go through it as i knew about it/them very late (maybe after Sierra Shutdown) and also especially that i don't like to play games with many Parts and not start from the 1st and that i couldn't get my hands on the 1st Gobliiins at the Time so i stayed away of the whole series all the same.

Discworld Trilogy and Simon the 1st three parts when i knew about them there were better/new things that got me attached to like tLJ and Syberia and i felt they would not be worthy or compared to ...

i am sure that this a common thing due to the evolution of Adventure Gaming in the last 30 years and , also about what was your age when you got hooked with them(Adventure Games)

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 05-06-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Myst, Syberia... I just can't get into them.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_93 View Post
Myst, Syberia... I just can't get into them.
myst i can understand, but Syberia! woow...you need to get into it ,somehow

Old 05-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
Gobliiins : though i loved Woodruff so much and due to the 90's shortage of publicity , INTERNET , Adventuring community i thought it was too late to go through it as i knew about it/them very late (maybe after Sierra Shutdown) and also especially that i i dont like to play games with many Parts and not start from the 1st and that i couldn't get my my hands on the 1st Gobliiins at the Time so i stayed away of the whole serious all the same.
The only link between the first three Gobliiins games is the character of the King, who appears in the intro. Other than that (and the graphical style, of course) the games have nothing in common. You can easily start with any of them. Or at least play Goblins 3, it is priceless

As for the games I didn't play... I left Syberia 2 early, because I was bored with the series by that moment.
Although I did finish the first Myst and a bit of Riven, I never felt like playing through the whole series, as well as many other Myst-like games. It's just not my cup of tea.
I missed some well-known FMV games, since I'm also not a fan of this kind of technology.

Last edited by Arial Type; 05-06-2012 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:28 AM   #5
Senior Automaton

If you left them behind, how do you know they're great?
Old 05-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #6

You just listed some of the best adventure games! You do not deserve the name of "Adventurere No.1" !!!
Old 05-06-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
if you left them behind, how do you know they're great? :d
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurere no.1 View Post
its strange , i hear a title repeated thousands of times and could be it one the best adventure of all time , recommended by all adventurer

Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Filmfreak

I've got none.

I either didn't know about them, or couldn't find them, and they're now on my infamous "list of games to play", so I'll get around to them eventually.

And if not, then they don't interest me in the slightest (like Myst and all its clones, or early Sierra text parser titles) because it's not my thing and never will be...
Old 05-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #9

i was mainly into adventure games in the mid 90's when i had an Amiga so i only played the games for that, like Monkey Island 1/2, Fate of Atlantis, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry 1-5 etc. I missed out on the Zork games, The Myst Games, all the FMV games like 7th Guest because they were only available on PC plus i'm sure many others because i just didn't have access to many games in those days as shops didn't really stock Amiga games much around my town.

I've not played the Gabriel Knight games, or many of the kings quest games, none of the space quest games, or lots of the one off lucasarts games like Loom or Full Throttle.

Sometimes i think about going back and playing the others, but if it's not a talkie now i'm not interested as there's no atmosphere, and if the graphics are bad then i just won't be able to get into it as i play everything on a 60" plasma. Tried Gabriel Knight the other week but gave up on it as every screen was just a mess of pixels.

So i'm hoping more games get remade. I played the remake of Kings Quest recently and that was alright, but i don't want to play any others as i didn't like the setting, and the remakes of Monkey Island 1 and 2 were superb. Leisure Suit Larry's being remade for a 2nd time, which i can't really be bothered with, but perhaps one day some of the other old games will be remade too.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Codger

I've missed every Myst game since the original, and don't feel bad about it in the least.

I've also never played a Quest for Glory game, a King's Quest game after the first, nor nor a Police Story game from the golden age of Sierra. But I have played all the SQ games, Laura Bow, FPFP and others.

I've also played very few of the LucasArts games. As good as they might have been, the interfaces were often just too confusing.

There are many games that I might have wanted to play, but the technical requirements exceeded those posessed by my computer.

Then, by the time I upgraded my PC, my computer's techs so far exceeded the requirements of the game that the game became unplayable. Scratches is a perfect example.

I don't own a game console, so those games won't be played.

It's always a toss-up as to which game is worth your time and money. Time is one of the real issues. Or at least it has become so of late. If you work 40+ hours a week, not including transit time. And you come home and have to make dinner. And, making meaningful conversation with your significant other is important. And let's not forget taking the dogs out for a walk.

.......Then finding yourself looking at a game the promises a "good 15 hours of gameplay" is not all that appealing....regardless how great the review might be. I just don't have the time.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #11

I have tried Riven several times and couldn't get into it, so I quit. I did play through Myst, only because it was expensive at the time and I heard so many good things about it, so figured I better get my money's worth. I also bought Myst Exile? is that the name of it? and never even loaded it up. With my bad feelings about riven, I figured that I wouldn't like it, but, I did have to buy it when it was on sale. Also, the last Sherlock Holmes games I haven't enjoyed, so, after playing for about an hour I gave up on them. especially Holmes Nemesis or whatever it is called.

so, finally I figured out that I only like third person games, so I am going to quit buying the first person games. it took me many thousands of dollars and many years to finally come to that decision, but, I think it is for the best for me.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbday630 View Post
so, finally I figured out that I only like third person games, so I am going to quit buying the first person games. it took me many thousands of dollars and many years to finally come to that decision, but, I think it is for the best for me.
Thousands of dollars? You must have played every single 1st-person adventure that was ever made + several shooters.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #13
Advie.1

i am not sure of Thousands, but i know quite well that Sierra's games in the mid 90's especially KQ5 and 6 reached the 100 dollars (each) easily

Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #14

I own a whole bunch of Zork games but i haven't touched any of them yet. Return to Zork is the one I really want to play out of all of them.

I also want a copy of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon but it's impossible to even find a TORRENT! We could use GoG's help on that one.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #15
Advie.1

sshhhhh...... dont say the T word !
but if you believe that abandonwares are legal then you would find it easily

Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #16
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
I also want a copy of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon but it's impossible to even find a TORRENT! We could use GoG's help on that one.
gametz.com

GOG is not going to help us with every ancient adventure, forget it.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
sshhhhh...... dont say the T word !
but if you believe that abandonwares are legal then you would find it easily

Finding it's not so much of a problem as getting it to work on a modern computer.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbman View Post
Finding it's not so much of a problem as getting it to work on a modern computer.
Yeah, that's my problem with a lot of the old adventure games I own (including Callahan's). Sometimes they will SEEM to work for a bit, then hit some point where something fails spectacularly and the game is then unplayable.

I've found methods to make some of the more popular ones work through web searches, but either nobody has bothered trying with some, or they did, but it wasn't possible, or they did, and succeeded, but I never found it through a search.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #19

One game that I never got to play, but wish I had, was Pegasus Prime, the update/remake of the first Journeyman Project game. I loved those games, but the first, though I enjoyed it, was so painfully sluggish (and annoyingly tiny on the screen) that I would REALLY have liked to have had a version more on par with the later games.

Oddly, they only ever released it for Mac, which seemed a bewildering choice for a game series where every previous release was available on PC. There's probably SOME way to make it work on a PC, but I never devoted the time, effort, or funds to try to find a way to play it.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Nothing Big actually , but i was wondering how many Games there of the Best that i had always Skipped / Neglected / Left Behind ..
I think for me the problem is a backlog of games...I do play console games but also portable console games but it was always about convenience and also dealing with frustrations (ie. not enough power on my PC, not a good graphics card, games crashing, etc.).

But as my wife is now hogging the TV, the good news with that is that it makes me play PC games more...lol...

The worst thing thought that has happened to me is that I have so many external harddrives and I keep one harddrive dedicated to PC game installs and my saves. And a lot of the games I were playing but have not completed... it was my fault for possibly leaving the external hard drive on 24/7 for years without really touching it. And then next thing you know, it started making popcorn like noises and died.

So, now...I am more dedicate to focusing on one game and beating it versus playing several games on the PC all at once.

Quote:
i am not sure of Thousands, but i know quite well that Sierra's games in the mid 90's especially KQ5 and 6 reached the 100 dollars (each) easily
I wonder what I should do with all my 5/4 and 3 1/2 Sierra floppies...lol..

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcd2011 View Post
i was mainly into adventure games in the mid 90's when i had an Amiga so i only played the games for that, like Monkey Island 1/2, Fate of Atlantis, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry 1-5 etc. I missed out on the Zork games, The Myst Games, all the FMV games like 7th Guest because they were only available on PC plus i'm sure many others because i just didn't have access to many games in those days as shops didn't really stock Amiga games much around my town.
You can still find the Sierra game sets...Has anyone purchased the Sierra sets at their Big Lots (if they still have them)....I think I have seen the Space Quest sets there still.

Last edited by kndy; 05-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.