You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 2,1,3! (Playing a series out of order)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 02:14 AM   #21
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

Fun thread.
I'm tending to play games chronologically, but I have jumped a little.
Like Kings Quest, I were never fond of the first ones. So I've just played KQ7.

Larry... well, jumped a bit there too. Either got stuck, and moved onto the next one or just didn't figure out what to do for weeks... ><

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 05-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #22

Like most folks, it seems, I played the King's Quest games totally out of order. Basically I started with whatever games came pre-installed on the old computers we'd inherit from my uncle when he upgraded, then whatever games we could find boxed, until eventually the KQ collection came out and I could fill in the gaps:
KQ - 4, 5, 6, 2, 7, 1, 3

I also played DoTT before Maniac Mansion (and in fact, my first time actually playing Maniac Mansion was on Ed's computer <i>in DoTT</i>!)

I played the Zork games out of order, too, starting with the MYST-y graphical "Return to Zork," and "Zork Nemesis" moving on to the graphics + text of "Zork Zero," only eventually getting around to Zorks 1-3 after Activision released them for free around the time Grand Inquisitor came out.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:44 AM   #23

Yes, I did that with the Monkey Island series and King's Quest mostly because we didn't have all the games at the time. Although I haven't played all the King's Quests and I probably never will. Monkey Island I watched my dad play the 1st game, then I went something like 3, 4, 1, 2. King's Quest was something like 7, 6, 8, 5, 1, 2

Now days I try to play the games in order. I'm currently playing the GK series in order, but I watched my dad play the third game first when it came out.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #24

I played Black Mirror in the right order but there was such a long gap until the 2nd & the 3rd (both of which I thought were great!) so I'm not sure the order mattered there except for playing 3 after 2!

I played Gabriel Kinght 3 first, then 2, then 1 in the order of accessibility (a few years inbetween!) I didn't think it mattered too much as the stories are complete in themselves but I did learn better about the background of Gabriel & the relationship between him & Grace when I eventually got to play the earlier games!

The only other series that I can think of playing out of order was Discworld - I played DW Noir 1st followed by DW2 & then a few years later I eventually got my hands on DW 1 - I don't think the order mattered at all - they all seem to be self -contained & I love them all!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #25
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Interesting thread.

I played the Monkey Islands in a screwed up order as well: 3-2-1-4, I believe. Some jokes and references definitely escaped me the first time around so I am glad I later replayed all of them.

I also started with GK2, got to the Chapter where you play as Grace investigating the Wagner museum and then had to quit because the CD was scratched and wouldn't load one of the exhibits Later on, I got hold of a special edition which included GK1 and 2 (as well as some other awesome stuff) so I played them in order from that point on. I think GK 1 is especially important for the other two games to make sense.

Another series I messed up its timeline was the Tex Murphy games. It went: Pandora Directive - UAKM - Overseer - Martian Memorandum. I have yet to play Mean Streets. I didn't really feel like I missed any major backstory, to be honest, the games pretty much stand on their own.

The only other incident I can think of is playing DOTT before Maniac Mansion. I enjoyed DOTT immensely regardless.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 05-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

For me, an unusual playing order was also due to a particular game's availability in my city.

Ever since playing the hilarious Discworld demo way back when, I had always wanted to get my hands on the first game. For some reason, none of the Discworld games were sold here in the 90s and sadly, none of the UK members on the old Discworld BBS boards (!) was able to help me out. I was finally able to snap up Discworld Noir, Discworld 1 and Discworld II on eBay years later, so that was the order in which I played them.

Gabriel Knight 1, 3, 2 - The Beast Within was also impossible to find at the time, even at the local CompuCentre (who remembers CompuCentre?) and EBGames. Some of Gabe's comments in GK3 finally made sense!

Monkey Island: 3,4,(1&2 on the Monkey Island Madness CD) - My cousin played the games in that order too, but he was even more baffled by the intro of MI3.

Space Quest 4 & 5, then 6, 1-3 from the SQ Collection
Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #27
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

MI 2412345 (tales being 5) first time only got half way through and i was very young didnt realise i had played it till i played it again. Recently just played 1 SE
secret files 2 then 1. these a great but you have to play them on the right machine.
KQ 6
Legend of kyrandia (2nd in series) yet to play the others.
Lesuire suit larry 1 then the ps2 version
myst, riven, then uru (i think)
discworld noir, 2, 1 took me ages to get 1 but was worth it (i like dragons)
runaway 213
DOTT then MM again didn't know it was a sequel.

when i saw this i thought i hadnt played many out of order but thats not a bad list.
i agree if it does not matter then fair enough but its always nice to play them in order. i like seeing things from the previous games like the handy piece of coal (you know what i mean).
black mirror how they aged the castle and town was great.

Big point a bit off topic, don't you miss big boxes.

Marise-Chiko