You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your first experience with Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Advie.1

i remember back then it was at the early 90's and i was just finished with Sierra's Adventure, So you Wanna be a Hero (Known as Quest for Glory 1),and i just said to myself "ohh!.. so here comes the So You Wanna be a Pirate one"

Old 05-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #22
tsa
Playing character

My first Lucasarts AG was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was nr. 1 on my list of best adventures ever made for a long time, until I played GK3 for the second time.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #23
Miss.I'mTerribleWithNames

The first proper video game I've ever played was The curse of monkey island. When I was 10 and my dad's co-worker's polish husband gave it to me to help me with my English. When I first played it I was just sucked in by the gameplay and graphics. Then I played it again 3 years later with improved English skills, I loved the game even more- this time I actually got the humour, I remember being quite perplexed at the sight of getting 'feathered' at 10.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:27 PM   #24

Like others here, I got the first two Monkey Island games in a Lucasarts collection (though I can't recall which one), and loved them. I then bought Curse of Monkey Island when it was released, and it is STILL my favorite. The animation style just fit so well. Escape From Monkey Island was a HUGE letdown. They succumbed to the lure of "3D modeling" and the result was a game that, IMHO, looked worse than the previous one AND had unnecessarily inflated system requirements, PLUS just wasn't as good of a game.

I've purchased Tales of Monkey Island, and I have high hopes, but I still don't like the 3D animation style. It is great for some games (Grim Fandango, for one), but it just doesn't fit MI as well as the style in "Curse" did, IMHO. The real question is how good the gameplay is, and reviews I've read have given me hope, but I'll just have to judge for myself, I guess, if I ever find the time.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:45 AM   #25
The Quiet One

I was introduced to Monkey Island (and the rest of the LucasArts classics - Grim Fandango, Sam & Max Hit the Road, Full Throttle, Day of the Tentacle - and even Discworld Noir) thanks to a friend at college. Unfortunately, I no longer see or hear from that friend anymore. Shame. But I digress...

The first Monkey Island game I played was The Curse... and I loved it! Even my sister played and enjoyed it, and she isn't much of a gamer. After that it was Escape... and then I decided to check out the originals. I did *ahem* download them, and unfortunately I also ruined my experience with them somewhat by using a walkthrough all the way through. Thankfully after a while, and forgetting the puzzles a bit, I did replay and beat them by myself!

After that, I managed to win the Bounty Pack on eBay, which contains the originals, and added them to my collection properly. And as time went on, I decided to get my hands on all of them in their original big boxes.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #26
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Got The Secret of Monkey Island in the early 90's, and played with my Dad and brother. It took us months as we were stuck on the grog prison puzzle for a long time. My dad was our hero for solving that one! Got each new addition to the series as it came out - we even upgraded our computer just to play Escape.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #27
Chris Barraclough

Must've been 12ish, I was proper skint, but I'd played and loved DOTT and Sam & Max, and was desperate to get MI 1&2 in the White Label double-pack. Somehow I managed to convince my mum that it was an 'educational' title - history or culture or some bollocks - and she stumped up the ÂŁ13 for it.

Moral of the story kiddies: lying will get you what you want...

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-06-2012, 05:25 PM   #28

13 pounds at that time and age? :O
Old 05-07-2012, 04:26 AM   #29
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
Oh yes, the White Labels were usually ÂŁ9.99, ÂŁ12.99 or ÂŁ14.99 depending on how popular the games were - whatever happened to those budget ranges I wonder? I guess the equivalent these days is something like GOG, a cheap way to discover games you missed when they first came out (or replay old classics).

ÂŁ12.99 for two games was bargainous - I still remember forking out ÂŁ35 for Doom, Worms, etc. when they first came out, on those crappy 3.5-inch disks. I even used to pay ÂŁ15-ÂŁ20 for Spectrum games, well back in they day

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #30
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk
Moral of the story kiddies: lying will get you what you want...
Coincidentally, that's just how Guybrush Threepwood operates!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
Games were very expensive in those days. In Norway games pretty much cost the same now as they did in the 90s.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #32

I got an Amiga 600 in the beginning of the 90s, I was probably between 6-7 years old. We had some friends who were hardcore Amiga geeks who had contact with a big worldwide piracy ring so I always had lots of games.
Most were pirated but I also spend most of my allowences and birthday money on Amiga games. Among my favorites were the Police Quest and Larry games and Laura Bow: Colonels Bequest (I Loved that game! It had a great atmosphere) Anyway so I think I got Monkey Island when it was fairly new, pirated of course, it was the first adventure game that I played that I didnt needed to write commandos. Me and my brother played it to death but we never managed to complete it.
Since then with help of Scummv I have made it a tradition to complete it every now and then.
I bought the LucasArt remake when that came out but I was dissapointed, mainly cause of the graphics. They made it too cartoony I think, I miss the seriousness and atmosphere from the original.
But it was quite nice to play the original with the voices on.
Tales of Monkey Island I actually found to be quite good and I really dont understand the hate against Telltale games, they have made some classics, included ToMI.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:53 AM   #33
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Solitude View Post
I miss the seriousness and atmosphere from the original.
This puzzles me...
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
This puzzles me...

Ok see, what I meant was that I dont care much for the "polished" graphics of the remake. The Orginial SoMI had a more serious tone and also an incredible atmosphere, thats missing from the "polished" version.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #35
Filmfreak

No, it's the word "serious" that puzzles me. The Secret of Monkey Island is one of the most laugh-out-loud funny games I've ever played, yet you've called the original "serious" twice now.

Anyway, I think the remakes tried to give it more of a "Curse of Monkey Island" vibe with the graphics. That's exactly the right tone you need for those games (although I still think the remakes' graphics were a bit uninspired).
Old 05-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #36
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
No, it's the word "serious" that puzzles me. The Secret of Monkey Island is one of the most laugh-out-loud funny games I've ever played, yet you've called the original "serious" twice now.

Anyway, I think the remakes tried to give it more of a "Curse of Monkey Island" vibe with the graphics. That's exactly the right tone you need for those games (although I still think the remakes' graphics were a bit uninspired).
Yup, agree. I was actually really chuffed with how Curse's graphics turned out - I think they nailed all the characters, especially Guybrush. He had that gormless look right down. I was surprised that so many people hated it. But then, you fuck with a classic series and you're gonna get your haters.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by seebaruk View Post
Yup, agree. I was actually really chuffed with how Curse's graphics turned out - I think they nailed all the characters, especially Guybrush. He had that gormless look right down. I was surprised that so many people hated it. But then, you fuck with a classic series and you're gonna get your haters.
I, too, thought Curse's graphics were quite simply the PERFECT look for the series. I couldn't believe the next game managed to "improve" the graphics into something that looked worse AND took a more powerful computer to run. Ugh.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #38
Chris Barraclough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I, too, thought Curse's graphics were quite simply the PERFECT look for the series. I couldn't believe the next game managed to "improve" the graphics into something that looked worse AND took a more powerful computer to run. Ugh.
That's evolution for you mate And another reason why it's good to replay the classics.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:04 PM   #39

I still haven't finished the first one so which one of the two is the best one?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #40
Advie.1

they are both actually equal , but the 2nd seems to be better crafted in some bits developers might had thought they rushed in at the 1st, and especially when you play the remakes you would find this matter more obvious ya sadeeky