Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   dtp entertainment goes bust (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30984-dtp-entertainment-goes-bust.html)

Lucien21 04-30-2012 10:58 AM

dtp entertainment goes bust

Another adventure game publisher goes under. :frown::frown:

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2012/04/...ing-bankruptcy

dtp Entertainment has filed for bankrupy.

They published quite a few adventure games her in Europe.

Black Mirror 1-3
So Blonde
Memento Mori 1-2
Grey Matter
15 days
Ghost Pirates
Mata Hari

Bollocks :frown::frown:

dekaneas297 04-30-2012 11:05 AM

Too bad. Most of their games were good

SamuelGordon 04-30-2012 11:10 AM

Oh man 15 days:frusty::frusty: the worst adventure game i've ever played (def in the worst top five). I enjoyed the mirror series and grey matter.

Rest In Peace.

MoP 04-30-2012 11:13 AM

Damn, didn't see this one coming. Bollocks indeed.

TimovieMan 04-30-2012 11:14 AM

Always sad to see more adventure game publishers go under. :frown:

Kinda proves all too rashly that the genre is still struggling...

Goldeneye 04-30-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 609942)
Always sad to see more adventure game publishers go under. :frown:

Kinda proves all too rashly that the genre is still struggling...

In this case it's not so much the adventure genre per se but the consequence of several business decisions of a publisher hugley spreading it's portfolio (from PC and console games to Mobile Games, Free2Play titles, Socialgames, Blu-Ray & DVDs movies). Financing the production of games like the multiplattform The Cursed Crusade or the current Tad Williams's Otherland MMO project have been very expensive. Maybe too expensive for a publisher whos biggest titles' sales in the last years have been average at best.

jhetfield21 04-30-2012 12:30 PM

damn shame.....no matter how average their games were they were publishers and they provided us with AGs.and let's not forget that the average part is subjective.others probably consider them great and i'm not talking about sales.

Fien 04-30-2012 01:23 PM

Sad news. Daedalic is struggling too. Apparently, Germany is not enough of a market to make a profit and they're not doing very well internationally, at least not without access to Steam. Pretty soon it will boil down to popular indies who don't need a publisher, like Amanita, and crowdfunding projects.

inm8#2 04-30-2012 01:33 PM

Sad to hear. I liked many of the titles they published.

Gonchi 04-30-2012 01:38 PM

Damn, I think my copies of So Blonde and Mata Hari were published by them. :frown:

zane 04-30-2012 01:56 PM

isnt it surreal? This year the genre is making more headlines and getting more attention than it has in maybe a decade+... But meanwhile these companies are struggling to stay afloat. Pretty sad.

MoonBird 04-30-2012 01:57 PM

Unbelivable. When are we going to get some good news concerning our lovely genre? It's just been all downhill for the last two years.

MoonBird 04-30-2012 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldeneye (Post 609949)
Financing the production of games like the multiplattform The Cursed Crusade or the current Tad Williams's Otherland MMO project have been very expensive.

MultiMediaOnline. There's no stronger cursing word in the universe.

lewuz 04-30-2012 02:28 PM

Daedalic has problems, Fien? Thats a small surprise. They have so many projects on hand all of the time so i was wondering how come they can afford that.

About dtp - maybe a bit sad, but i dont feel much of a loss. They lacked the focus and the vision. They've made questionable decissions and... ok, i have couple of more complaints but maybe too subjective.
Im sad about games what had to be published by dtp and might now be stuck in limbo, though. Regarding adventures - Memento Mori 2, Lost Chronicles of Zerzura, Haunted. I dont know what was the deal with game's dev and dtp (is dtp owner who partners other publishers like Lace Mamba, or did tm belongs to dev and they can find a new publ) but point of worry. Especially in case of Zerzura, which is dtps own.
Other thing im worried about is the future digital availability of their back catalogue. Like House of Tales' Overclocked and Moment of Silence. Lighthouse went bankrupt and Gamersgate dont sell their products anymore (luckily they left users games they already had obtain, Overclocked in my case. Im not sure how Adveture shop call still sell Lighthouse stuff though). Moment of Silence publishers are all bankrupt although i hope the Nordic Games, The Adventure Company label new holder would fix the availability question soon.

diego 04-30-2012 02:43 PM

Google Translate

Oscar 04-30-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dekaneas297 (Post 609936)
Too bad. Most of their games were good

Most?
Black Mirror 1-3 good
So Blonde terrible
Memento Mori 1-2 average
Grey Matter good
15 days average
Ghost Pirates pretty awful
Mata Hari not good

Still, I applaud them for taking on more experimental titles like 15 days. Wasn't a great game but I liked its freshness.

fov 04-30-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 609970)

Can someone who speaks German explain this better than Google Translate did? I can't tell if they're saying they're going to sell off their licenses, or keep them. :crazy:

Have they announced bankruptcy as in "we're going out of business"? Or bankruptcy as in "we're filing for court protection so we don't have to go out of business"?

PolloDiablo 04-30-2012 08:44 PM

They seem to be confident they can work something out and continue their business.

gray pierce 05-01-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 609959)
Sad news. Daedalic is struggling too. Apparently, Germany is not enough of a market to make a profit and they're not doing very well internationally, at least not without access to Steam.

That's sad news as well. Hopefully they'll be able to finish "The Dark Eye" in time. I really wanna play that game! By the by why don't they have access to Steam? I thought anyone could have access to Steam. Pray tell

Fien 05-01-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray pierce (Post 610008)
That's sad news as well. Hopefully they'll be able to finish "The Dark Eye" in time. I really wanna play that game! By the by why don't they have access to Steam? I thought anyone could have access to Steam. Pray tell

They're struggling, but certainly not dead. See this thread/post.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...899#post600899