Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gog (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30983-gog.html)

chrissie 04-30-2012 10:43 AM

Gog

I'm sorry if a similar thread has been posted before! I didn't start playing AGs on PC until 2000+ (a few on Playstation before that - no internet!) I have mainly since then just bought & played games as they were produced but there are so many older games I missed that are constantly on players favourite lists.

I've seen some on GOG - DRM Free - great! So curious I have so far got Under a Killing Moon, Zork Grand Inquisitor, The 7th guest & Journeyman Project 3 yet to play.

Were they good choices & what do you think of them?

Also I'd really like to see Callahans Crosstime Saloon turning up on GOG - I've played through some of the You Tube walkthrough & it just seems interesting? What older games would you like to see turning up that can be played on a newer system? :)

TimovieMan 04-30-2012 10:50 AM

Apart from GOG, some old games can be played for free on ScummVM (Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, for instance).
Especially BaSS and FotAQ are considered classics.

As for GOG itself, it'd be interesting if they had the entire AG Top 100 available (as well as all games that nearly made it). Especially the old pre-Steam games can be hard to find these days, so if they're somewhat centralized, we'd all benefit, imo...

Arial Type 04-30-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissie (Post 609930)
So curious I have so far got Under a Killing Moon, Zork Grand Inquisitor, The 7th guest & Journeyman Project 3 yet to play.

Were they good choices & what do you think of them?

Great choices, if you ask me. Zork Grand Inquisitor is one of my all time favourites. The atmosphere and humour are really top-notch. I played Legacy of Time about 15 years ago, but I have very good memories about it. There was also a hilarious sidekick somewhat similar to the one in Zork. And all three Tex Murphy games are ageless classics, although Pandora Directive is better in terms of story and characters. Haven't played The 7th Guest yet :shifty:

TimovieMan 04-30-2012 11:20 AM

7th Guest was revolutionary in 1993 in terms of graphics, but as a game it's not all that good, imo. Don't get me wrong, in 1993 it was fantastic, but the graphics were more or less all it had going for it, and time destroyed that...

inm8#2 04-30-2012 12:24 PM

GOG is amazing. I hope they'll continue to expand their classic adventure catalog. They already offer many classic Sierra titles.

DRM-free, downloadable bonus content. They do it right.

jhetfield21 04-30-2012 12:41 PM

BaSS and FotAQ are also free in the repositories of ubuntu.....as is SCUMMVM,for anyone who prefers linux.

I also agree with Tim for a centralized place for AGs.Even though I prefer hard copies some of the old ones would be difficult to find in hard copies and especially CD/DVD since i don't have any of the old consoles/amiga/commodore and the like and digital distribution is easier to finance.

chrissie 05-01-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 609932)
Apart from GOG, some old games can be played for free on ScummVM (Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, for instance).
Especially BaSS and FotAQ are considered classics.

As for GOG itself, it'd be interesting if they had the entire AG Top 100 available (as well as all games that nearly made it). Especially the old pre-Steam games can be hard to find these days, so if they're somewhat centralized, we'd all benefit, imo...

I haven't yet tried ScummVM TimovieMan - I think I've got a couple of the games you mentioned on disc (from Ebay) but have never been able to play!

I'm hoping that GOG will gradually add a lot more older games that I missed the first time round & agree that we'd all benefit from them being centralised! :)

Thanks for the comments on the other games I mentioned! :)

harald 05-02-2012 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 609943)
7th Guest was revolutionary in 1993 in terms of graphics, but as a game it's not all that good, imo. Don't get me wrong, in 1993 it was fantastic, but the graphics were more or less all it had going for it, and time destroyed that...

And the music. The soundtrack is awesome. Not ruined by time. It's almost worth playing for its soundtrack alone... :P

Agustin 05-02-2012 04:47 AM

The chances of seeing any Legend titles being re-released are slim. Most of them would have to be relicensed (remember they're based on already existing IPs) and that's both expensive and complicated, meaning the payoff is probably not worth the effort.

A shame indeed.

Ascovel 05-02-2012 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agustin (Post 610148)
The chances of seeing any Legend titles being re-released are slim. Most of them would have to be relicensed (remember they're based on already existing IPs)

Is that because they were out of print for so long, or simply because Legend ceased to exist?

I was convinced Epic absorbed all of Legend's properties, so they should have some power to release the games again.

Agustin 05-02-2012 05:11 AM

According to Bob Bates, many assets were sold to GT Interactive, now owned by Atari. I'd say their interests in reselling those games are near zero. So whoever wants to tackle this must first get the rights from them.

The second part is worse: all the original licenses have expired (Gateway, Shannara, Death Gate, Callahan's, etc) so the interested party should reacquire those as well. And original IPs from Legend were never sound hits, perhaps with the exception of Spellcasting.

This comes from an exchange I had with Bates. He's tried to get them alright but it's too much of a hassle.

Arial Type 05-02-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agustin (Post 610150)
This comes from an exchange I had with Bates. He's tried to get them alright but it's too much of a hassle.

What about Eric the Unready? I thought it was one of the better known Legend titles, and the IP shouldn't belong to anyone, so he might even come up with a sequel...

Agustin 05-02-2012 08:52 AM

I couldn't tell... It's one of the best Legend titles for sure but probably not one of the better known. I think securing the license for just one game is out of the question.

Perhaps the whole Spellcasting series, Eric and Time Quest would be more enticing. But remember: those were by no means the most successful ones.

Arial Type 05-02-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agustin (Post 610193)
I couldn't tell... It's one of the best Legend titles for sure but probably not one of the better known. I think securing the license for just one game is out of the question.

Perhaps the whole Spellcasting series, Eric and Time Quest would be more enticing. But remember: those were by no means the most successful ones.

Agreed. I doubt adding Spellcasting and TimeQuest to the pack will help the sales much. All of them are too dated. I'm not even sure if any of the GOG releases or Kickstarter sequels will work if Bob decides to resurrect Legend - well, maybe with the exception of Blackstone Chronicles that still looks good and that was supposed to be a series of games anyway. That's a trap.

Ah, I really wish to see Bates, Dahlgren and Verdu back to adventure business :frown:

dave_minall 05-03-2012 05:24 AM

I'm addicted to GOG also. I have all 3 tex games, GK1 & 2, The Feeble Files, Broken sword 1 (DC) and I will soon purchase Little Big Adventure 2 and the Gobliiins pack.

It does however really need 3 Skulls of The Toltecs.

Schneckchen ^.^ 05-03-2012 05:51 AM

Chrissie - not sure if that was the original question but if you haven't played these yet, the best adventure games you can get on GoG right now are the Gabriel Knight games.

also check out:

The Tex Murphy games
Broken Sword 1 & 2
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2
Syberia
The Last Express
Phantasmagoria
Normality - if you don't mind 1st person... but I loved that game.

CoyoteAG 05-03-2012 09:25 AM

It's funny that I just saw this thread. Last weekend I went over to GOG and just went on a shopping spree of old adventure games. I seriously went beserk.

I hadn't played Phantasmagoria I or II in so many years so I bought those and played them over the weekend. Such fun!

I also bought all of the "Quest" games, literally. All of the Space Quests, Kings Quests, and Police Quests. I also bought Normality, Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2, Little Big Adventure 1 & 2. I couldn't stop myself. Some I've played a long time ago and some I've never played.

I have months of nostalgia ahead and I'm super excited!

chrissie 05-03-2012 09:29 AM

Thanks Schneckchen for the recommendations!

I have played all of the GK games in the past & agree they are the best adventures & recently got GK 1 again from GOG to be able to play on Win 7.

I downloaded The Last Express from Bigfish games which I would have been better off getting from GOG as it is DRM free - I'm almost at the end - I've just got a bit of a timed bit to do which I'm not so good at but was planning on replaying it as I think I missed quite a lot!

I've played the Broken Sword games a few times & also Syberia which I've only got a consol version for - is the GOG version point & click?

I've got Simon the Sorceror 1 & 2 on disc which I've never been able to install! :frusty:

I'll be definitely be taking advantage of the Tex Murphy games & Phantasmagoria on GOG. I hadn't thought about Normality - I have a slight preference for 3rd person but a few of my favourite games have been in
1st so I don't mind!

I looked on ebay to try & get 3 Skulls of the Toltecs dave_minall -there was one available at the time but it was just a ridiculously high price!

There are so many older games that I've either missed out on or have disc versions that just won't install so it would be great if GOG could get a lot more of them!

Panthera 05-03-2012 11:38 AM

Syberia 1 and 2 are pure point-and-click adventure games. Absolutely worth getting, don't know how the console version is, but they play beautifully on the pc.

chrissie 05-03-2012 11:55 AM

Thanks Panthera, the consol versions of the Syberia games are controlled by gamepad so it would be a joy to play them again using point & click!