You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Real Classic Adventures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default New Real Classic Adventures

After finishing the whispered world as much as it left me satisfied as much it left me also wondering what that really was special about it ... something totally different than most of the game i have been playing at the last decade or especially the last 10-12 years.

TWW felt like a real classic game from the golden age of Adventure

it was never about the gameplaying ,the interface,the HS revealer and 3D or big flashing Great Graphics for me,

and also the same for that Flashy comment (almost always seen) over every new Adventures Cover box this ( a new Classic point and click Adventure Game...from ......etc) , and i find out later that its not even close and can't be called a Classic Adventure in by any means.

anyone also thinks/knows of classic adventures that are not old (newly released) which if it had been released at that Sierra-Lucas era would had just fitted there.. fine!
Attached Images

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-22-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
Schattenjäger

have you played edna and harvey: the breakout?
If you havnt, youre in for a surprise, the game has an astonishing amount of responses for trying combinations or any action you can think of (such as, trying to talk to any object all has individual responses)
It is completely classic and special in its own way.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #3

I wholeheartedly agree - The Whispered World is one of the latest (and i hope not the last) modern adventure with a true power of the genre's origin - thanks in big part to hand-painted 2D graphics, but not only that - the game introduced "epic" approach, followed by animation sequences as you progress as a mean of REWARD to players, and also featured good deal of interesting puzzles which managed to make sense but have the logic of its own as well, just like those in Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle...

I consider Al Emmo the modern classic of indie and AGS scene. Deck13 titles had a nice mixture of "old school-modern" in it, although their latest titles might signal a small decline. Keepsake is a flawed adventure, but i consider it unique for blending Myst-like and 3rd person games. And even though i consider Machinarium a bit overrated, there's no question it was an instant classic.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-21-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
And even though i consider Machinarium a bit overrated, there's no question it was an instant classic.
Machinarium is the game that first comes into my mind as a new classic.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Advie.1

Machinarium is definitely a Classic but it brings a Q to me (of topic) would it have been really appreciated if it was to be released back then, with all the Sierra-Lucas 's dominating era of Adventures ..

Edit: i just remember Games Like Grim fandango and Woddruff wasnt really appreciated but later

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-21-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
Machinarium is definitely a Classic but it brings a Q to me (of topic) would it have been really appreciated if it was to be released back then, with all the Sierra-Lucas 's dominating era of Adventures ..
I'd like to think so even though it doesn't 'look like' the good old games.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Advie.1

yeaa ... and you know Jelena you made me think of how i would like to see/wish that as 2012 for Hollywood is the year of remakes,3Ds and re-releasing of all the old Classics pictures (that the new generations had sadly missed) ......that 2013 would be the same for adventure gaming scene, with more remakes, voicing and those games which were originally released without, and maybe even(why not)remaking / producing all the Text phasers adventures which started the genre back at the late 70's.

Old 04-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
yeaa ... and you know Jelena you made me think of how i would like to see/wish that as 2012 for Hollywood is the year of remakes,3Ds and re-releasing of all the old Classics pictures (that the new generations had sadly missed) .....that 2013 would be the same for adventure gaming scene, with more remakes, voicing and those games which were originally released without, and maybe even(why not)remaking / producing all the Text phasers adventures which started the genre back at the late 70's.
I really hope they won't, both Hollywood and video games. The worst they can come up with are remakes. Watch the originals on Blu-ray and Dosbox!
Old 04-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Senior Automaton

Back when it came out, AGers called Runaway A: Road Adventure an instant classic and I got a similar impression though I need to replay to confirm. Pendulo games are often silly and too eager to please, but Runaway 1 was by far the least irritating, and that's saying a LOT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
I consider Al Emmo the modern classic of indie and AGS scene.
No wonder I'm turned off indie and AGS games. Awful, awful game. It's not often I find it physically painful to play a game but Al Emmo succeeded, and that is no exaggeration.

I agree with Keepsake despite its flaws (all classics have flaws anyway), and I also think Last Half of Darkness: Society of the Serpent Moon feels like a classic in every respect. I think the minimal dialogue and story exposition helped. Shame it isn't more popular.

Another unpopular one is Yoomurjak's Ring, but definitely a classic. Unfortunately it will never be recognised as such because it's in Hungarian. Excellent game with possibly the most satisfying ending to a adventure game ever.

Last edited by Oscar; 04-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Replicant

I agree, The Whispered World was a beautiful game but I think The Book of Unwritten Tales was even better. Both stunning games that brought back memories of times when this genre was at its peak.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #11

If adventure gamers in 20 years look back at this era trying to find a classic game and this happens to be machinarium, then I am probably up for a personal disappointment.

To the matter involving the original poster my vote goes for Gemini rue.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #12
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
Watch the originals on Blu-ray and Dosbox!
Old 04-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #13
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

OK guys - pleeeaase STOP!

You're using the word "classic" sometimes for "classic", sometimes for "traditional/old-school" and sometimes for "good".

"Unrecognised classic" is an oxymoron. So is "modern classic" - especially when it comes to video games where we don't distinguish a "modern" period.

I wouldn't bother you all, but it's often difficult to guess what you mean.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
Advie.1

so we need to define the word classic 1st...
hmmmmm..!

i agree with some of what Ascovel posted , because i see that many people consider any thing old is Classic and that is too far from it , the truth.

someothers refer to any new art song,Movies, games that have anys of the original core or elements of those which had started a genre as classic.

but if we (e.g) would say that Deep Purple are a Classic Rock band of the 70's (and they still active until this day), so does this mean that anything (song/LP) they release is a classic!?....i Guess not

i dont know actually i wont ever say that i do, but i never make those sort of analyzing and mathematics to tell if this Adventure was a classic one, it just seems to me, and that is enough.

P.S: Please Ascovel try to not use that Stop thing, if you disagree about whatever, let us know why, as Posters i think they have the right to write and to express whatever they think of ... or maybe you could just Avoided the thread without giving such as this red traffic stop warning .

Peace
Ascovel

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-22-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #15

I don't think any new or recent game can be considered a 'classic' as it's time that gives a game that hono(u)r. A game that's enduringly popular, representative of it's era (not necessarily reflective of older style games) & fits the category will in my mind need at least 5 -10 years before it can be considered a classic after it's stood the test of time.

I agree with Ascovel in that games are being put forward that are traditional/old-school or 'good' but I think you can only ask what modern games might become classics! A lot of these games might not stand out in the future?

Adventurere, sorry another pan come your way You said yourself posters have the right to write & express whatever they think - you've said what you think & Ascovel wrote what they think so what's the problem? The 'stop' as I understand it is a figure of speech & why should they avoid the thread if they have an opinion? and why do you have to suggest they don't post in such small writing instead of being completely upfront! Also why do you keep putting in links to peoples profiles????
Old 04-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Advie.1

why , why ? .. and why i feel you had been picky with me and my post lately

please chrissie no need criticizing me more , yesterday you did the same with my(joke) post about ghosts spreading into the forums and the people i mentioned i did not say anything wrong about them by anychance
but you just attacked and i replied then and when i found you edited yours (which you might understood my joke by then) , i also edited mine and thanked you without mentioning anything about your harsh previous post you changed and you didnt run it through your mind before posting it ... cuz i respected your value.

about putting in links i just copy and paste with no intention of posting posters links. and as for this Stop thing it just reminded me of parents whom always direct their children with the stop warning instead of starting a logical and a mindful speech

no need reply reply to this Chrissie ... no need to give things more value than it really is.... beside that would that the topic more far off which it is already the case by now

Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #17

My post was mostly on topic Adventurere! & I'm sorry that you have this idea that I am attacking you - not so! I posted a sincere & helpful reply on your quiz thread yesterday & you quoted & altered part of what I said - so yes! I think I had every right to be picky! Thank you, you did change it but it is still out of context BTW! The part that I chose to edit out referred to you blaming everyone but yourself (cruel but fair) as I wasn't happy about you using my quote as an excuse to wang on about something that really doesn't matter anymore!

Today, I'm not being deliberately picky either - I'm just defending other members rights to disagree with you - it's not personal! But your reaction to anything that you don't want to hear seems to be don't bother posting or no need to reply!

To get back on topic it's an interesting one so please stop getting so defensive when someone doesn't agree with you & consider their opinions intead of YOU attacking THEM!
Old 04-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #18
Advie.1

thank you so much, i will never quote u again chrissie as this always make you angry though i always do it with pure intention and i even removed it(quotes of you) twice when i felt it bothering you) but you have every right to be picky if that makes you feel alright,

the only thing that makes me feel sad is what you said that you are defending others(whom i find nothing would stop them if they wanted) but never me.

cheers Chrissie and keep that Adventuring great spirit you have got

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
overall swell guy

Advie, I hope you will not take offense if I give you the following piece of advice:

Grow the fuck up. (Pardon my French).

I know I could have reacted to any particular previous post of yours but please be sure that I've read most of them but just didn't feel like doing so (reacting to the posts, that is).

You come across as someone who craves attention (very much like a very young child) a little more than is healthy and then, when someone finally gives you their time, attention and yes, even affection you go on and spoil everything by misinterpreting or misrepresenting everything they might have said or rather what you might have understood which is quite often nothing like the things the respective posters were trying to convey. (Additionally it is not always easy to find out what you yourself are trying to say (and if I may say so it sometimes seems like you don't know yourself)).

Well, this might still be just a matter of misunderstanding due to a lack of sufficient knowledge of a foreign language for all involved. Still, if there's the slightest suspicion on your part that you might not have understood 100% what the other person was trying to say: please ask and don't go off on one of your rants.

In my personal book of online conduct what you're doing is nothing less than trolling. I could be wrong and I'm sorry if I am and if I have offended you.

I still think you're probably a wonderful human being and we all would have great fun if we met in person. But it's hard to fathom through simple posts on an anonymous website.

It's just that I think you'll have more fun and feel more accepted if you weren't so demanding. (Because you *will* be accepted more openly if you weren't so damn demanding).

(P.S.: Please note that I didn't go the easy way of simply putting you on ignore but if you go on presenting yourself as nothing but a petulant child I will with no further regret do so in a heartbeat).

I hope this wasn't too strong in expression and we still can live as equals if not friends. Have a nice night, cheers, Dan.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #20
Advie.1

you have a point , many to say, but the issue maybe because the only Arab Muslim in these forums, and i feel i kindda being hated just for who i am .(or just paranoid) .

look i am a very friendly person and i see the most common theme here is the unfriendly one ,lots of mocking and disrespect ... but please dont take that as an excuse but i just felt trying to change that theme and surely it looked for everyone demanding , wanting attention..

but believe and i will say it straight Fuck me...i am no better,but these things like sometimes i feel that everyone against me is getting on my nerves big time ..... if i made a song for adventures then i m trying to take attention if i made an artwork as gift (which took me 3 days) i am demanding attention , how would anyone see it else way! i cant blame you or anyone here,

and if tell you i do this all because i see this site with all the members posts here (imo) missing a lot of things (activity)....would sound crazy, because i an new member,... yea maybe i should have acted didnt make so much posts in a such short while, but believe me Dan its just it being me ...

i tell you that this will be my last post/thread until god knows how long , i will only finish that Quiz that i am working on as promised because it will be hell damn waste of time after all the progress i reached so far

and like i said and assure that this will be my last thread/post until i can find a way the can be common ,appreciated and liked by other and doesn't have to be liked by me!!
i never wanted attention here like the little child you suggested maybe it looks this way, but i swear by ALLAH i only did what i felt without any thing more than feeling like filling the missing spots that i see in this great site and of course to express my self too ..

i am a musician and a famous one in Cairo i even have my own studio so claiming attention will not add to me or those childhood manners which are so far away from being me but as you said maybe if we can see each others face to face it would have been something else but here surely it looks nothing but some childhood demanding manners activity for the sake of it.

i know better now though i would like to quite from all that right now but like i told i worked too hard on that quiz that leaving it unfinished and forgetten about then later it would be/feels like nuthin at all .... so thanks dan and hope to catch you maybe later when i really have my mind set up