You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Real Classic Adventures

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
OK guys - pleeeaase STOP!

You're using the word "classic" sometimes for "classic", sometimes for "traditional/old-school" and sometimes for "good".

"Unrecognised classic" is an oxymoron. So is "modern classic" - especially when it comes to video games where we don't distinguish a "modern" period.

I wouldn't bother you all, but it's often difficult to guess what you mean.
I don't think this is true. Look in the dictionary under 'classic' there is nothing to support that, and a lot of definitions of the word as an adjective which fit this thread quite well.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #22
cookie monster

I dont know anymore should I be amused or annoyed by yet another discussion between Advie and the rest. I dont know... maybe there should be a special thread for that.

I kinda like you, Advie. But I agree that u seem hyperactive, or u use too much time in AG. I understand u try to make forum more active, but please try to understand a concept "talking is silver, silence is gold" (before u slash with counterarguments, then yes, i know the social culture in Mediterrain is more like "speak, speak, speak more! faster, louder" to make a mark). Means, maybe people here are intelligent enough to speak up only when they really have something to say. Not writing but only reading is still an activity.

Now, why i took time to write at all (and unfortunately go off topic even further): oh why u had to bring up the religion? Maybe I'm asuming too much, but I believe most of AG users dont care. I sense some paranoia notes indeed. Relax! For what its worth, for me most of AG users seem rather polite and understanding folk and if there are some friction between you and others, it rises from something non-important. U rush to defend yourself even where is no attack. U know a lot about adventures and u have a lot to say, but lets stick to the topics. Without wanting to irritate anyone, I'd suggest that also to others who find themselves confronted with Advie.

Now lets love adventures together.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
Filmfreak

Yikes, who opened the can of worms???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1
you have a point , many to say, but the issue maybe because the only Arab Muslim in these forums, and i feel i kindda being hated just for who i am .(or just paranoid) .
Advie, I have read every single one of your posts on this forum, as well as all responses to them (both the good and the bad), and I can vouch for everyone here that you being an Arab Muslim has NEVER entered the equation.

Really, all the criticism you've gotten on these forums has always been about "opening too many threads", "opening too similar threads" (both of which are directly related to your enormous adventure game enthusiasm) and "a lack of cohesion in some of your posts" (which is mostly due to the language barrier). You being an Arab Muslim has NOTHING to do with that.
The best proof of this is that Wizarbox/feminism thread. While most of us take female rights and gender equality for granted, none of us criticized the fact that you didn't really take it for granted as much. No attacks against you were made, nor against Egypt, nor against the Islam. None.

Because of the way most Arab Muslims have been threated ever since 9/11, I can understand you're probably a bit paranoid about this, but I really think you have nothing to fear on these forums. No-one has it in for you because you're an Arab Muslim.
In fact, the amount of tolerance here is one of the best aspects of these forums. We're all adults who are smart enough not to give in to common clichés and misconceptions.
Of course, there will always be some cultural differences, but learning about them is one of the great things the world wide web has to offer...

Quote:
look i am a very friendly person and i see the most common theme here is the unfriendly one ,lots of mocking and disrespect ... but please dont take that as an excuse but i just felt trying to change that theme and surely it looked for everyone demanding , wanting attention..
The unfriendliness, mocking and disrespect, that's all just a part of the anonimity of the internet.
It may seem harsh if you're not used to it, and it will probably take a while to get used to, but you'll see that everywhere on the net. It's not even something to worry about.

A lot of the mocking can even be labeled "friendly banter" between two posters who've known each other for a while. And if not, you should try to either find humour in the remarks, or simply ignore them. Starting an argument over every little disagreement easily leads to flame wars and nobody wants that.
But I agree that it's often hard to remain friendly on the web. You really need thick skin online. Again, the fact that everyone's basically anonymous doesn't help...

Quote:
i tell you that this will be my last post/thread until god knows how long , i will only finish that Quiz that i am working on as promised because it will be hell damn waste of time after all the progress i reached so far

and like i said and assure that this will be my last thread/post until i can find a way the can be common ,appreciated and liked by other and doesn't have to be liked by me!!
Please don't do this. It's always sad when active users (who have an opinion and voice it) leave the forums. Especially if they're undoubtedly enthusiastic about the forum subject (i.e. adventure games).
Nobody wants to see you leave. Some may want to see you cut back a bit on creating new threads, but that shouldn't stop you from contributing to other threads as well...
Plus, if you'd leave, then who would bring back Fien if she goes missing for a week?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewuz
U know a lot about adventures and u have a lot to say, but lets stick to the topics. Without wanting to irritate anyone, I'd suggest that also to others who find themselves confronted with Advie.

Now lets love adventures together.
^ This.

Now to get back on topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel
OK guys - pleeeaase STOP!

You're using the word "classic" sometimes for "classic", sometimes for "traditional/old-school" and sometimes for "good".
That's because all of those descriptions are correct. The word "classic" is a pretty broad term, but in this thread I thought it was obvious that it was used for great games that have a '90s feel to them (i.e. that would've fit right in if they were released back when adventure games were hot).

Quote:
"Unrecognised classic" is an oxymoron. So is "modern classic" - especially when it comes to video games where we don't distinguish a "modern" period.
I don't agree with this. Unrecognised classics are great games that stood the test of time, but that never got the audience they deserved. No oxymoron there, imo.
And "modern classic" is not an oxymoron either, it just doesn't use the "stand the test of time"-aspect of the meaning of the word 'classic'. Great games (or movies/books/whatever) can easily be called "instant-classics". Those are games of which we suspect they will stand the test of time.
Instant-classics are commonplace in video games, because "standing the test of time" is rarely an option. The video game market is changing too rapidly for that. Most games are completely forgotten a few years after their release. Moreso if the platform they're on enters a new generation.

We're practically in the only niche within video gaming where "old" games still get played. A lot of gamers aren't touching anything that only has PS2-type graphics, let alone 8-bit graphics or - God forbid - text! If we don't immediately call some games classics, then they'll never get that title...

As for titles that I'd call "instant classics":
BoUT, Gemini Rue, To the Moon, Portal 2, Machinarium, 999
And I've only played half of those...

Note that I didn't mention L.A. Noire - that's because that one was all graphical glamour and little else. Once the graphics lose their shine (give it another year or two), it'll lose most of its appeal...
Old 04-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #24
Advie.1

i wish to Elaborated by replying to your post which i really like Movieman

... but will have to go that feeling of being Contented and satisfied with it, i absolutely liked much.

thank you for taking the time and the effort writing such a nice detailed post.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #25
Advie.1

i wanted to add Nightlong and Perry Rhodan to the those real Classic Games and surly made at the last decade , but they just can fit at the golden era of Adventures perfectly

Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #26
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Plus, if you'd leave, then who would bring back Fien if she goes missing for a week?
I only noticed this post today. I know it's a joke and all that. Still, I want to make it aboslutely clear that Advie had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Not with the leaving, not with the coming back.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #27
Advie.1

Thanks Fien ,
and if that what you only noticed and cared about in the thread then you are totally correct ...

but maybe you would try to notice how much disrespect i gained because of making that post asking about you

Old 05-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
Senior *female* member

Advie, in the past I have defended you whenever I felt you were attacked unfairly. But I agree with the very reasonable criticism directed at you, by for instance Timovieman and Adan. No, I don't want to notice how much disrespect you got for posting that thread. Please let it go. God knows I easily take offense myself. But you see disrespect everywhere, even when there is none.

Last edited by Fien; 05-02-2012 at 06:40 AM.