You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Hardest adventure you've beaten without cheating?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Flower bower bird

I finished the original Safecracker without a hint, and, if you don't count the occasional comment by Arthur, I didn't have to look up anything in Journeyman Project 3. I almost made it through Riven, except for the fire marble puzzle. I had the grid correct but just couldn't figure out why I wasn't making any progress. After two trips around the islands and numerous disk changes, I checked a walkthough only to discover
Spoiler:
the button I missed that was right in front of my nose.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #22

I can't remember for sure. I am fairly certain I played Broken Sword 1 and maybe 2 without hints, but generally I've looked up a hint at least once for most games.

I did finish the Babel Fish puzzle without help. To me that was easy. I think the reputation is just because of the large number of steps, but it's a very logical and simple progression through those steps.

Monkey Island 2 I did on my own except for the very last puzzle involving LeChuck. That was a timed puzzle and I got annoyed. But the rest of the game was all me.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #23

I'm surprised to see Riven in a lot of these answers because I didn't even think that game was possible to beat without cheating it's so dang hard. Impressive.Although it's been a long time since I played it, I just remember it being extremely difficult.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuntMonkey View Post
I can't remember for sure. I am fairly certain I played Broken Sword 1 and maybe 2 without hints, but generally I've looked up a hint at least once for most games.

I did finish the Babel Fish puzzle without help. To me that was easy. I think the reputation is just because of the large number of steps, but it's a very logical and simple progression through those steps.
I did the Babel Fish puzzle without help as well & couldn't understand the fuss, though soon came a cropper with the rest of the idiocy in the game. Used to be good at the old text games, though the main reason was you couldn't get help with them, so just had to get on with it.

I found Broken Sword fairly easy, but unlike yourself couldn't get past that blasted Goat. I did complete the 2nd one without help, though I didn't like it as much as the 1st.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:36 AM   #25
The Quiet One

For me it's probably Broken Sword 1 and Simon the Sorcerer 1. We didn't have the internet then so, no, no walkthroughs.

However, a friend did tell me what to do on the goat puzzle in BS1, which I didn't ask for, so I was never stuck on that. But we did ask that same person what we were supposed to do with the Druid manacled to the rack in Simon 1...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #26

The hardest game without wt was Scratches (dont know how) and Darkness within but half of game with eyes closed
Old 04-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #27

The hardest game I did without any help was Broken Sword 1 - it was the first AG I ever played & at a time, like DustyShinigami, when there was no internet & therefore no help!

It took me nearly a week to fathom out how to get past that goat but I got there in the end! It also took me several attempts to get the wet towel to the dig site before it dried out - it was infuriating at the time but I just loved the game!
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM   #28
Citizen of Bizarro World

A Sam and Max episode. And even then only because of in-game hints.
Under land of no free! Am us home coward-leeee!

~Excerpt from the Bizarro Anthem
Old 04-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
fov
Rattenmonster

Hmm... Myst, I guess. I also beat several Sierra games and 7th Guest without any hints back in the pre-internet days, but Myst stands out as being the hardest.

(Well - I do remember a Sierra operator gave me a small hint when I called up to order a King's Quest game and mentioned that I needed it as a diversion because Myst had me stumped. Does that still count?)

I also remember being very proud to beat a text adventure, Mission: Impossible, all by myself at age 9 or 10. Not a complex game but you died a lot, very punishing. I'm not sure I could do it again today.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #30

Gabriel Knight 2 might not be the hardest, but it was one of the very first games i've played, being still quite inexperienced adventurer I remember it took me a month to finish it.

Timelapse

is notorious for being one of the hardest Myst-clones around. I can't say it for sure since i was stuck right at the beginning

Black Dahlia is also extremely hard. LucasArts titles are generally easier to older Sierra games simply because of the fact that majority of Sierra games utilized interface without "smart cursor", and also featured "dead-ends", deaths, and even "be at the right place at the right time". If you can finish Conquest of the Longbow, you're a true hero.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #31

I think I may have beaten Braid without help which I'd say definitely counts. It's possible I had to look up one hint, I'm not certain.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #32
Stalker of Britain

Usually I "cheat" in most games, since I enjoy the story and characters more than the puzzles. However, the reviews I've written for this site I don't use walkthroughs (so I can give a fair review), and I'd say the hardest I've done by myself is J.U.L.I.A...and it wasn't that hard, except for a deciphering puzzle.

But man, after I finished that puzzle by myself, I felt so proud of myself!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 04-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #33
She Wants Revenge

Normally I play without hints and then possibly crack in a place or two after I get really stuck and want to get forward with the plot. But I quite shamelessly use all the hotspot functions as I really really hate pixel hunting and being stuck forever because of it. To me glowing hotspots are more realistic than not finding essential items when you walk past them 20 times.

I think I at least played Loom and Gray Matter without any hints but I really don't take notice if I check UHS or something once or twice. Most of the earlier Sierra and LucasArts games I played so young that my older brother had played them first and he gave me hints. If it's infernally difficult or sucky game I might use the walkthru quite a lot just to see the ending (if I don't give up completely and just leave the game unplayed).
Old 04-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #34

The walkthrough is not an enemy. It's a friend. It's a tool for the adventure gamer for difficult moments while playing. If you don't know something, if you can't find the solution (this can happen for many reasons), if there is a game bug that you don't know it yet, then the usage of the walkthrough is the answer. Using a walkthrough a couple of times, doesn't mean that you haven't finished the game on your own....
Old 04-23-2012, 04:03 PM   #35

Hmm....the top candidates are Myst 4, Obsidian, Timelapse, and Riddle of the Sphinx. Make it Myst 4, though that had less to do with intelligence and more to do with sheer stubbornness. It was a wonderful game experience, and I was determined not to ruin it by getting help.