Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Next Quiz :May I have a Match! ...Need Advices/Help while working on IT (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30926-next-quiz-may-i-have-match-need-advices-help-while-working.html)

Adventurere No.1 04-18-2012 06:47 AM

Next Quiz :May I have a Match! ...Need Advices/Help while working on IT

2 Attachment(s)
i would like to get some advices for my upcoming quiz ,

the quiz well be a simple mitch matching idea, but surely the quiz itself not gonna be simple or easy at all .

so this is what i am planning and already working on.
there will be a post 1st with 150 Adventure Box Cover Images that will be followed with another post with 100 images/scene of those Games (Inventory,People,walls,chairs beds,View ....anything i can get my hand on)

covers will be numbered with Prime Ones the , Images (of the games) will be numbered with Composite ones.

The Rules which are that what is troubling me.. this what i think of..so far:
1- the round will end after 50 guesses , surely includes the wrong and the repeated ones.

2- in case of guesses exceed the 50s and still not the correct guesses nad confirmation for the first round posted yet!, eventually will be added to the next round.

3.four guesses per round.

4. results of each round will have the players names,correct answers accompanied with the Cover and the Scene Image numbers a they matched.

5. Not allowed posting anything that directed to other players answers (wrong and right) and stuff like these will all be posted at the end of each round ....if someone guessed/made a wrong match , just make another post with what you think is correct.

6 avoid any comments concerns the quiz flaws or wrongness , that is why i started this thread ... any idea or any advise will be taken into consideration here until the quiz starts.

SO please who had any suggestion , ideas or even a correction that would help me ,
and make this Quiz better. i will be glad to hear it.

here is a sample or who i see the quiz ..... (surely those will will not be included at the QUIZ itself, they are so easy, but they to give the picture)

and zobraks try to not be stingy with me and offer your advices

TerminusEst 04-18-2012 08:29 AM

What is the significance of the prime/composite numbering? Do you plan to make it a math puzzle in part - e.g. the box cover number will divide the corresponding game's screenshots' numbers? That would be hard for you and might also make the puzzle solvable with very little AG knowledge.

Also, you must go quite high to get 150 primes - the 150th prime number is 863.

Adventurere No.1 04-18-2012 08:44 AM

that is a nice notice, and i will have to think of another choice but what do you think, surely i cant use alphabets with numbers as surely the latter will exceed?

i dont really get all what you are pointing at with the quiz being hard, but due to my lame English... i can explain that i thought if the numbers of covers images are the same as the screenshot's as this would make it easy,
but on the other hand e.g. if you have like Riven and Exile and one Game view screenshot's , this will make it intriguing and a bit confusing as both can have the same views somewhere

diego 04-18-2012 08:54 AM

Or you can use 1-150 for covers, and 151-250 for screenshots. Or even use 1-150 and 1-100, white color for covers and some other color for screenshots. Or something like 1 for a cover and 1s for a screenshot, 2 for a cover, 2s for a screenshot...

TerminusEst 04-18-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 (Post 608286)
that is a nice notice, and i will have to think of another choice but what do you think, surely i cant use alphabets with numbers as surely the latter will exceed?

i dont really get all what you are pointing at with the quiz being hard, but due to my lame English... i can explain that i thought if the numbers of covers images are the same as the screenshot's as this would make it easy,
but on the other hand e.g. if you have like Riven and Exile and one Game view screenshot's , this will make it intriguing and a bit confusing as both can have the same views somewhere

Sorry, I meant that it will be hard for you to prepare (I edited my post now).

You can try Roman and Arabic numerals? Or all Arabic numerals with different suffixes - e.g. {1B,2B,3B,...} for the box art, and {1S,2S,3S,...} for the screenshots? Or, for an extra challenge, you can lump them all together with the same numbering scheme and have everyone try to first figure out which the box shots are.

Other than that, I like your idea! I still won't participate since I suck at these things... It is often humbling to see how many games I've played (and liked) and end up not recognizing in these quizzes. :)

Edit: Diego's suggestions would also work, of course :)

chrissie 04-18-2012 09:06 AM

Adventurere, it's an interesting idea but I can't quite work out what you mean?

Is the idea that you are going to post box shots minus the titles so you guess those first to get a score?

Then you post the screenshots which I can see that you match to the boxshots. Is it that you can match them to any box shots or just the ones you guessed correctly in the first place? :)

Adventurere No.1 04-18-2012 09:48 AM

ok you brought that earlier ... yes there well be some box shots without their titles but those are not theme but kindda of bounces
.. the theme is in simple words ;match the screen shot with its game boxshot ... you may find it sounds easy to have the boxes already posted when all the previous quizzes ask about the screenshot ,offering it alone,and this seems like a hint sys,

but naaah i will ask you question maybe it will make you catch what i am targeting: if i showed a 2 screenshots of Roger Wilco from the 1 and the 2nd original parts releases would you be able to tell which is which?

that is the catch so far

TerminusEst 04-18-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 (Post 608303)
ok you brought that earlier ... yes there well be some box shots without their titles but those are not theme but kindda of bounces
.. the theme is in simple words ;match the screen shot with its game boxshot ... you may find it sounds easy to have the boxes already posted when all the previous quizzes ask about the screenshot ,offering it alone,and this seems like a hint sys,

but naaah i will ask you question maybe it will make you catch what i am targeting: if i showed a 2 screenshots of Roger Wilco from the 1 and the 2nd original parts releases would you be able to tell which is which?

that is the catch so far

It was my impression that you were going to post fragments of the game box (without the title, of course) so that it's not obvious which box belongs to which game.

chrissie 04-18-2012 09:55 AM

Thanks Adventurere, I see where you are going now! :)

Adventurere No.1 04-18-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminusEst (Post 608304)
It was my impression that you were going to post fragments of the game box (without the title, of course) so that it's not obvious which box belongs to which game.

i see.. but only fragments is not worth the effort and then maybe i should forget about post them at all.
its only the idea of matching it self that is pulling me

TerminusEst 04-18-2012 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 (Post 608308)
i see.. but only fragments is not worth the effort and then maybe i should forget about post them at all.
its only the idea of matching it self that is pulling me

Judging from scattered remarks here and there, it seems that the way the quiz champions (zobraks et al.) play is by first examining the screenshot, forming a conjecture about the game it could be coming from, and then looking over screenshot galleries (here, at mobygames etc.) "refreshing" their memory, looking for the right picture or, at least, for similarities in style.

What you propose would eliminate the second step and make the quiz very easy (for them at least). I guess you can mitigate that by posting only box shot fragments. Alternatively, you can try to find very obscure screenshots (good luck with that!) or take them yourself (too much work).

Man... quizzes here are quite the big deal...

Adventurere No.1 04-18-2012 07:51 PM

TerminusEst you really snatched me out of the edge ... but i am still on with the matching concept though, but differently ...
cheers man

zobraks 04-19-2012 12:54 AM

Don't know why, but I just remembered an ad I had read:
Quote:

I want to make an atom bomb. I have a screwdriver and a good will.

Gabe 04-19-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 608386)
Don't know why, but I just remembered an ad I had read:Quote: I want to make an atom bomb. I have a screwdriver and a good will.

Lol

Adventurere No.1 04-19-2012 02:01 AM

ooh zobrakets , i knew you well figure it out ... but damn i lost my lucky charm

Adventurere No.1 04-19-2012 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 608291)
Or you can use 1-150 for covers, and 151-250 for screenshots. Or even use 1-150 and 1-100,

that is how it is gonna be, as simple as that, thanks Diego

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminusEst (Post 608370)
Judging from scattered remarks here and there, it seems that the way the quiz champions (zobraks et al.) play is by first examining the screenshot, forming a conjecture about the game it could be coming from, and then looking over screenshot galleries (here, at mobygames etc.) "refreshing" their memory, looking for the right picture or, at least, for similarities in style.

Ahh as i told you it would not have those cover images or even fragments ,and thanks to you , that would be far easy for people like Gabe and Zobraks , but the matching will be something more like between shots, Indoors and outdoors , or i would rather stick/say it as the theme i am working on already {(35%) hell of a job,} which i like to call it matching between anything and anywhere ...
screenshots of (inventory, people,chairs, windows tables as anything) to be matched with (Views for Bulidings caves,spaceships ....etc as anywhere)
i am sure it would be hard to find diffrent good locations and views that can be up to a hard Quiz , thanks to chrissie whom push up the quizzes level ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissie (Post 608293)
Adventurere, it's an interesting idea but I can't quite work out what you mean?

Is the idea that you are going to post box shots minus the titles so you guess those first to get a score?

i am glad you mentioned that also which surly made forget me about box shots, with titles or without.. all the same

Adventurere No.1 04-20-2012 08:01 AM

Statues so far,
i am long way through it already quiz, and without any mean for giving credits to myself , it looks very very promising
(the atom bomb is about to blow. I have now more tools than just a that screwdriver) :D
thanks zobraks (though i know whatever i say you doesn't matter, which is why i ought to just let it be )but i had put my hands on many tools now and yet more trying to ..

so far that the Quiz theme/style is going to be like that:
2 posts each with 100 screenshots
one indoors/things will content mainly screenshots (People ,ncps, heroes ,inventories,Walls,Chairs,tables .....etc), the other Locations/Views will content of (Buildings,entrances,airports,skies,deserts ....etc)

i am working very hard on this quiz from searching,images careful selection , to editing , to make it such a unique one as i wish it to be and i all that i hope that i would not get it screwed (as the previous) due some silly thing/rule that i do or miss .
i see really some active posters here aware and good at these quizzes matters like,
Gabe, chrissie , sweetDalilah, Diego , MoonBird, Oscar ,Movieman , Hands free ,Trunkyo. ... whom their post and comments count for me.
anyways
i will be posting this thread/Quiz (if god wills) Next Friday 27th, hope it would be worthy after all.

chrissie 04-20-2012 08:26 AM

You've got a hammer & a chisel too?

Seriously, Adventurere I look forward to your quiz - everyone that's posted one, I'm sure, appreciates the amount of work needed to present one! The only thing you did wrong in the last one was changing the rules - twice! I say just post your rules & stick to them!
A mistake on screenshot titles is not such a big deal as it can be easily sorted out! :)

HandsFree 04-20-2012 10:23 AM

Matching inside with outside sounds like a nice idea (if I understand it correctly).
Be aware though that everyone can see the names of the files you use. Make sure you call it inside1.jpg or something like that and not nightlong.jpg, like in your previous quiz.;)
Good luck with it!

Adventurere No.1 04-20-2012 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissie (Post 608563)
changing the rules - twice! I say just post your rules & stick to them!
A mistake on screenshot titles is not such a big deal as it can be easily sorted out! :)

actually i admire the way you made yours which puts me in a position where i can not complain as it was the 1st for you as it for me.... but i sucked. big time.. but let me try to give you not a reason but and excuse ;

when i started the quiz with only one rule to use Spoilers Tags i thought i didn't need the same cliched mentioned rules that supposedly known for everyone who will play and when Gabe advised to contain the results in the 1st post, he had a point ,but when he asked about the number of guesses and rounds .....this when all started to going wrong
i edited the quiz with No Rounds 1st ,and not more than 10 guesses later on,and as strange as it is ,that Gabe was the only one guiding me through my inexperienced quiz making he posted more than 25 guesses in 2 posts!!!! as if want to put the blame of Fien and Diego's departing totally over me cuz of my late and odd rules posted!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandsFree (Post 608574)
Matching inside with outside sounds like a nice idea (if I understand it correctly).

Good luck with it!

yeaa as you said this is what i meant and you do understand correctly but then it would limit the quiz and eventfully much easy, which is not an option when everyone judges quizzes here/now by its difficulty,
but i didnt walk so far really from the idea as much it would be impossible to get indoors and outdoors Screenshots that can make this whole matching idea worthy , i kindda got on with it by choosing two similar criterias to match between
Something and Somewhere .... those would give a huge rage for selecting the screen shots ,( from Inventory, objects to locations and views) ...

i am 50 % through the selection so far .... but there is only one other theme that i added to the quiz which i think would make it more challenging and better (imo) ,that is the quiz will be playing in the Adventure's Classic Era (80's and 90's) games only :D