You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Question about Scorpio Ritual

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2012, 10:40 AM   #1

Default Question about Scorpio Ritual

Hello guys,I just wanted to ask you something.I'm thinking of buying Scorpio Ritual,but I just wanted to know if someone can tell me,without any major spoilers,if the plot will bother me as a Christian.Because I read on the review that it goes kinda like the Da Vinci Code and...well yeah I'm a Christian even though a big sinner and I would like to know if it's like...kind of a mystery/conspiracy thing that is ok and acceptable or can become disturbing and offending to Christians if it goes like...well the Da Vinci code.Because I found the Da Vinci code as very blasphemous and annoying.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Advie.1

would you take an advise from Muslim!!

anyways,.... i see the story hasn't any kind of those claims which would get you offended, nevertheless indirectly ,the matter at Scorpio Ritual from the dialog and the script are far away ,too limited and shallow to be suggest with the Dan Brown's

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-16-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
Hello guys,I just wanted to ask you something.I'm thinking of buying Scorpio Ritual,but I just wanted to know if someone can tell me,without any major spoilers,if the plot will bother me as a Christian.Because I read on the review that it goes kinda like the Da Vinci Code and...well yeah I'm a Christian even though a big sinner and I would like to know if it's like...kind of a mystery/conspiracy thing that is ok and acceptable or can become disturbing and offending to Christians if it goes like...well the Da Vinci code.Because I found the Da Vinci code as very blasphemous and annoying.
It's a game dude. Seriously, pull on your big girl panties and give it a go! If it offends your sensibilities, then stop playing it. I always find this idea of christian morality humerous seeing as the bible is full of death, incest, rape, pestilence from on high, human sacrifice, slavery... (seriously I could go on as nauseum) and most games are not a patch on it. If you are going to get offended by stories such as 'The daVinci Code' then consider not reading or playing anything ever again. I seriously wonder if you're not trolling considering the topic's of a lot of the games...?

Last edited by Stonez; 04-16-2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Rushing before leaving for work.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Chicken with a bite

It would help if you could explain what exactly you found blasphemous and annoying in the Da Vinci Code. Scorpio Ritual does have plenty references to the (Catholic) church, Knights Hospitaller, a temple dedicated to a different deity than "God" and someone impersonating a nun to infiltrate the Vatican, for instance. If that is offensive to you is not something we can judge...
Old 04-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
It would help if you could explain what exactly you found blasphemous and annoying in the Da Vinci Code. Scorpio Ritual does have plenty references to the (Catholic) church, Knights Hospitaller, a temple dedicated to a different deity than "God" and someone impersonating a nun to infiltrate the Vatican, for instance. If that is offensive to you is not something we can judge...
No I mean,things like implying that Christ was not the Lord or things that alianate Christianity,I don't mind some Vatican plotting and Hospitallers or Templars and stuff as long as they don't imply things like in the Da Vinci code,you know what I mean?Because I see that this game looks brilliant.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
Homo Ludens

You probably deserve a straight answer and this is not it (I haven't played the games). In fact, this is wildly off-topic for this forum. But I am very curious. Curious if you will find it blasphemous and alienating if I said that Christ is not the Lord and that the Old Testament is quite the vile little book full of all the stuff that Stonez listed. What if I also said that religions are uniformly false and are the obvious product of primeval fear of death, as well as the desire of the ones in power to have a convenient tool of control?

I suspect you won't be offended because it has been my experience that Christians tend to disregard arguments of this sort. So why would you disregard me - some random heretic on some random forum - but can't disregard the obviously historically-false pastiches that Dan Brown plagiarizes from here and there and then cobbles together and passes them off as a story?

Basically: why are you afraid of books and games challenging your faith? If your faith is strong, you will forgive us - the sinners, and will carry on as if nothing has happened... But, right now, it just seems as if you have never thought about your faith.

Last edited by TerminusEst; 04-16-2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Forgot the concluding sentence...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #7

I am not afraid of them,I just wouldn't wanna spend money on something I would be disappointed at or have something bother me.That's it.

And I am not here to make religious debates or discussions,I am simply asking if Scorpio Ritual goes on to imply stuff about Christianity or simply includes some plots about the Catholic Church and stuff like that.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #8

Just give the game a try. It's a nice game, not something exceptional, but it's worth it. If you like subjects like, Nights Templar, Holy Grail, old legends and religion theories then this game is for you. There is no blasphemy for the Catholic Church, if a different oppinion on certain matters is expressed. And of course the Da Vinci code is an interesting alternative theory about Jesus, Mary Magdalene and the symbolism of the holy grail, which could quite possibly be true. It presents real historic information in form of a novel.A really good and successful idea. I think it's exceptional and fascinating. The Church in general (Catholic, Orthodox etc.) expresses the dogma "beleive but do not search", which had great results in the middle ages, but not any more.

I found both Chronicles of Mystery games to be entertaining and with interesting story. In my opinion "The tree of Life" even better than the "Scorpio Ritual".
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 AM   #9
Failed Birthday Elf

As a Christian myself and a forgiven sinner I understand what you mean. It's not blood and guts but unfounded suggestions like Jesus was married with children and was not the son of God that get me. I don't want to start a religious debate thread here but will be happy to explain this via PM to anyone who is interested.

I have played CoM:Scorpio Ritual and it is much more of a conspiracy type thing than an outright and ill researched attack on christianity a la Mr Brown.

It's not the greatest game in the world, but I enjoyed it, defo worth a try!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
As a Christian myself and a forgiven sinner I understand what you mean. It's not blood and guts but unfounded suggestions like Jesus was married with children and was not the son of God that get me. I don't want to start a religious debate thread here but will be happy to explain this via PM to anyone who is interested.

I have played CoM:Scorpio Ritual and it is much more of a conspiracy type thing than an outright and ill researched attack on christianity a la Mr Brown.

It's not the greatest game in the world, but I enjoyed it, defo worth a try!

Thank you,I think you understand what I meant
I just finished Secret Files Tunguska and I loved it and that's why I was kind of looking for something at thiiiis style,to not fall into comedy adventures fast again,although I did start Monkey Island a few days ago after all.But...I also have the last two Broken Sword games...Angel of Death and the other one,I don't remember the name.Maybe they'll do instead?You can PM me freely to tell me about Scorpio Ritual if u want!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
As a Christian myself and a forgiven sinner I understand what you mean. It's not blood and guts but unfounded suggestions like Jesus was married with children and was not the son of God that get me.
So it's easier to go with a supernatural entity knocked up a human female who gave birth to a child while she was engaged to some poor clod who just accepted it at face value. Furthermore, this kid grew up to the ripe old age of thirty something single in a culture where getting out your teenage years without being married was a social aberration and having no children was basically unheard of. I also like how god acts outside of his own tenants. According to my knowledge of the bible, Mary and Joseph were betrothed, so both god and Mary become adulterers by conceiving this child outside of her wedlock to Joseph which in turn means she should have been stoned to death for breaking one of the ten commandments. Correct me if I have any of this wrong, but I did quickly glance through the source material...

Jus' sayin'...

PS I might just pick up this game now. Thanks to the OP Foinikas for bringing it to my attention.

Last edited by Stonez; 04-17-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonez View Post
So it's easier to go with a supernatural entity knocked up a human female and gave birth to a child while she was engaged to some poor clod who just accepted it at face value.
Delicately put!

Essentially to believe that the all powerful creator God can do what he says he would do? Yes.

Quote:
Furthermore, this kid grew up to the ripe old age of thirty something single in a culture where getting out your teenage years without being married was a social aberration and having no children was basically unheard of.
Interesting. Marriage certainly seems to have been the norm for most people - although not all - but having no children unheard of? No way.

Quote:
I also like how god acts outside of his own tenants. According to my knowledge of the bible, Mary and Joseph were betrothed, so both god and Mary become adulterers by conceiving this child outside of her wedlock to Joseph which in turn means she should have been stoned to death for breaking one of the ten commandments.
Hardly adultery when there was no sexual contact of any kind and the conception was acheived by the spirit.

Quote:
PS I might just pick up this game now. Thanks to the OP Foinikas for bringing it to my attention.
Yeah, it's definitely worth a look, particularly if you enjoyed Secret Files type games.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Hardly adultery when there was no sexual contact of any kind and the conception was acheived by the spirit.
It's the thought that counts, right? Right?

Wow I hope this game is decent...

lol
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonez View Post
It's the thought that counts, right? Right?
Absolutely correct!

Anyway, sorry to Foinikas for de-railing the thread!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #15

Stonez I don't know if you are some kind of troll or something,I don't come to this forum often,but I am asking you to please stop leaving such remarks or trying to debate religion here.Game stuff only please.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foinikas View Post
Stonez I don't know if you are some kind of troll or something,I don't come to this forum often,but I am asking you to please stop leaving such remarks or trying to debate religion here.Game stuff only please.
You brought up the religion aspect, not me. You asked us to think for you and decide whether something would affect your sensibilities, not me. How on Earth are we supposed to know what will offend an anonymous poster on the internet? If I'm not christian, why would I know what you will find offensive? There is a thing called free speech and this is it pal. I'm sick and tired of people using religion as an excuse to not think. I'm fed up of having to pander to people of 'faith' when I have no respect for what you believe. You of course have the right to believe in what you want, and I will not interfere with that right, but I do not and will not respect it. I feel sorry that you get upset that your imaginary friend is offended by the scribbling's of a hack writer like Dan Brown but that's all on you.

Last edited by Stonez; 04-17-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: rant errors
Old 04-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #17

You kind of...went over the edge.That's why I am asking you for both of us to not take any part on the thread if it's not about specific stuff on the game.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Homo Ludens

This thread has been completely derailed. It will probably be moved to Chit Chat or locked. But before the mods get to that, I just wanted to point out the irony in a religious debate, where, for once, the anti-religion barricade is manned by an American (from the Bible Belt to boot), while the Christians are represented by a Londoner and another non-American (an assumption based on Foinikas' English).

Also Stonez seems like totally my kind of guy - the kind to have a beer with. We can talk about religion (and how it poisons everything) and H.P. Lovecraft.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #19

Right...anyway,anything about THE GAME?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
This thread has been completely derailed. It will probably be moved to Chit Chat or locked. But before the mods get to that, I just wanted to point out the irony in a religious debate, where, for once, the anti-religion barricade is manned by an American (from the Bible Belt to boot), while the Christians are represented by a Londoner and another non-American (an assumption based on Foinikas' English).

Also Stonez seems like totally my kind of guy - the kind to have a beer with. We can talk about religion (and how it poisons everything) and H.P. Lovecraft.
Hate to burst your bubble T, but moved to Atlanta from Edinburgh back in '04 , but other than not being southern, I love beer and would happily sit down for a pint with anyone at any time to discuss any and all things Lovecraft.