You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Two Guys from Andromeda return (and launch Kickstarter campaign)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #21

Have they done anything in terms of game design since Space Quest? I wouldn't know about it. The same goes for Al Lowe.
Jane Jensen and Tim Schafer remained within the game industry since the good old days and have designed many more games, but you can't say this for every oldtimer who's coming back.
Maybe that's not a problem for people who want a mere nostalgia trip, but I would want a little more, to be honest.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Have they done anything in terms of game design since Space Quest? I wouldn't know about it. The same goes for Al Lowe.
Jane Jensen and Tim Schafer remained within the game industry since the good old days and have designed many more games, but you can't say this for every oldtimer who's coming back.
Maybe that's not a problem for people who want a mere nostalgia trip, but I would want a little more, to be honest.
My logic tends to be, based on the name and the nostalgia alone I'll throw $10-$15 their way and hope for the best. I'm happy to risk that amount and not feel too bad if it goes south.

For someone I have more faith in I'll pledge a higher amount, assuming the rewards are worth it to me or I'm super excited about the game premise.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #23

Since GK, Jane Jensen designed GM (which was delayed how many times?) and a lot of casual games. But it's okay, because she's Jane Jensen.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:11 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
The message I'm getting here and in other threads is: You can trust the Big Names because they're Big Names. But if you put your trust in less well-known project creators and they take a loooooong tim to deliver, well that's your own fault for not Goooogling enough and not noticing shortcomings.
Well, that's not my message, is it? What I was saying is nasty quotes people say on the Internet is not the best way judge the quality of a project. Look at that Phil Fish twerp who released Fez this week. He's an unlikable prat but that doesn't negate the wonderful game he made and released (eventually).

I feel like the message I'm getting from you is "stop being positive, because you'll probably get screwed over." In my mind that's a much less refined way to evaluate something than doing SOME searching on Google.

Quote:
I assume you've done your research, so have they? And let's not forget they were employed at the time, not independent developers.
Well, Mark Crowe has been working for an independent developer for a while now so I don't doubt his professionalism. I'll be able to make a better judgement when they talk about what they're actually pitching.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #25

Tex Murphy priority one for me. Then Jane, then these guys and Larry if I have any dough left. Ugh!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #26
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Well, that's not my message, is it? What I was saying is nasty quotes people say on the Internet is not the best way judge the quality of a project.
Those two Andromeda guys have to work together. To create a hopefully humorous game. That interview doesn't inspire trust they can pull it off. If Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert held grudges against each other, I wouldn't want them to work together on a game either.

Quote:
I feel like the message I'm getting from you is "stop being positive, because you'll probably get screwed over."
Please be as positive as you want to be.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:24 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfury View Post
Since GK, Jane Jensen designed GM (which was delayed how many times?) and a lot of casual games. But it's okay, because she's Jane Jensen.
She has designed many casual games, that's right. You may not like them (I don't either, to be honest), but my point is that she continued designing games, remained involved within the game industry and followed its recent developments. She never lost touch, basically.
And the delays of Gray Matter weren't simply her fault. She finished the design many years before Gray Matter shipped.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #28

Default Boom!

BOOM!
Old 04-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #29

It seems to be legit, as it is confirmed on both of their twitter accounts as well: twitter.com/#!/slashvohaul and es.twitter.com/Wilcofever Space Quest has always been my fav adventure game series, so I am excited at the prospect of these two re-teaming. As for earlier comments about bad feelings they may have had for one another in the past, noone here knows either of them for real, and so none of us are qualified to make judgements about whether or not they would get along. Obviously, whatever may have happened is in the past, and if they are re-teaming to make a game, then it's safe to assume that they aren't bothered by it anymore.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 AM   #30
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono-Serge View Post
It seems to be legit, as it is confirmed on both of their twitter accounts as well: twitter.com/#!/slashvohaul and es.twitter.com/Wilcofever Space Quest has always been my fav adventure game series, so I am excited at the prospect of these two re-teaming.
Yes, that's the long and short of it. If people are real excited about a Kickstarter project, they downplay other, possibly negative aspects. It's shut-up-and-take-my-money. Fine with me. But that awful video is simply awful, whatever way you look at it.

Quote:
Obviously, whatever may have happened is in the past, and if they are re-teaming to make a game, then it's safe to assume that they aren't bothered by it anymore.
HA! Life has taught me differently.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Yes, that's the long and short of it. If people are real excited about a Kickstarter project, they downplay other, possibly negative aspects. It's shut-up-and-take-my-money. Fine with me. But that awful video is simply awful, whatever way you look at it.

HA! Life has taught me differently.

I'm not concerned about the video, as they are game developers, and making videos may not be their forte. And despite whatever your life may have taught you, your personal experiences do not necessarily reflect those of everyone else .
Old 04-15-2012, 03:05 AM   #32
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono-Serge View Post
I'm not concerned about the video, as they are game developers, and making videos may not be their forte.
A clear case of downplaying possibly negative aspects. Thank you for proving my point.

Quote:
And despite whatever your life may have taught you, your personal experiences do not necessarily reflect those of everyone else .
So YOU are "qualified to make judgements" on the basis of your personal experiences and I am not. I see...

Anyway... I'm out of here. I do hope their game-to-be will be good and everybody will be happy. But I'm not giving them one cent.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #33

Quote:
A clear case of downplaying possibly negative aspects. Thank you for proving my point.

So YOU are "qualified to make judgements" on the basis of your personal experiences and I am not. I see...

Anyway... I'm out of here. I do hope their game-to-be will be good and everybody will be happy. But I'm not giving them one cent.
I'm not sure what judgements you are referring to on my part. I had an opinion about how the quality of the video may, or may not relate to the potential quality of the game, and that is just my personal opinion. It is a bit cheap to dismiss other peoples opinions as just downplaying negative aspects. I fully acknowledge that the game could suck, but I am excited at the 'potential' for it to be great, and I don't care that the video is crap, because really, all the other promo videos they made for their SQ games were about the same quality .
Old 04-15-2012, 08:32 AM   #34

New video confirms Gary Owens is working on the project as a voice actor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYuKFCgkvro&feature=colike

Owens is a broadcasting legend probably most famously known today for voicing Space Ghost. He also worked on the Space Quest games where he would tell players they've been a real pantload!
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #35
fov
Rattenmonster

Hey all - as I mentioned in the Larry thread, let's please keep this one focused on the new Guys from Andromeda project (which may not even be related to Kickstarter!) and keep discussion of Kickstarter's pros and cons in the Kickstarter fatigue thread. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:27 AM   #36

Anyway, back on topic: I loved Gary Owens narrations, glad he will be the back on board
Old 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #37

Oh my God, Owens is what, 75 now, and it feels) But still very cool! I can't even believe narrators are coming back My favourite is the one from Quest for Glory IV. I hope Coles will also make a glorious return and bring him back with them.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #38

Even if the Coles jumped in, too, I doubt that John Rhys-Davies would want to do it again. I believe he found doing QfG4 a very unpleasant experience.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Even if the Coles jumped in, too, I doubt that John Rhys-Davies would want to do it again. I believe he found doing QfG4 a very unpleasant experience.
Hasn't he found virtually every job he's ever taken to be an unpleasant experience?
Old 04-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collector View Post
Oh, I didn't know it was him Wikipedia states that
Quote:
According to an InterAction magazine article, John Rhys-Davies' part took more than three weeks to record, causing him to refer to the game as the 'CD-ROM from Hell'.
Still his narration was almost perfect.