You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Quiz: 'don't let the sun go down on me'

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Let's not forget the music!
Since we're posting music, here's another song that fits perfectly with the quiz.

Anyway, this was a lovely quiz, chrissie! Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 152
Size:  2.2 KB Thanks to it, I discoverd some AGs that I have never even heard of, like Fairy Tale about Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya and Rumpelstiltskin's Labyrinth of the Lost. I'll check them out, since I love fairytales
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 04-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #42
Flower bower bird

Chrissie,
Do you remember where you got the box art for Riddle of the Sphinx? I had checked several places but since the ones I looked at had the sun on the other side of the sphinx, so I thought it was another Egyptian game.

I missed Amber, too, Zobraks. I had forgotten about that initial drive up the road.
Spoiler:
(Driving into the water was more memorable.)
Old 04-17-2012, 01:45 PM   #43
Filmfreak

Thanks for a great quiz!

I only got four images, but considering how small they were and how few I'd actually played, I think I did fairly well...
Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #44
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
I missed Amber, too, Zobraks. I had forgotten about that initial drive up the road.
You know what's funny, Lady K? I DID think about AMBER when I saw that tiny picture #43, but I went, "Nah, it couldn't be, it was dark when she (Roxy's friend) drove to that haunted house."
I had played AMBER five years ago and I couldn't remember driving in the daylight in the intro . I still can't.

Quote:
Spoiler:
(Driving into the water was more memorable.)
Name:  mrgreen.gif
Views: 145
Size:  436 Bytes
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #45

That was a very good quiz Chrissie! Quite difficult, but there were enough easier ones also.
That Riddle of the Sphinx pic also confused me until I noticed the installation screen looked like that (see mobygames). Had no problems with Amber though.
My personal blunder was missing Secret Files Tunguska. It's right there on mobygames and I had looked at that page several times (with 130 pics SF1 must be in there I thought) but still failed to see it.

Hey Zobraks, this was a quiz, not a match! Or was it?

So Chrissie (and others), what did you think of the new/different rules? Personally I liked this pm method because I didn't have to check the thread all the time to see what had been guessed.
Anyway, well done!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #46
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsFree View Post
So Chrissie (and others), what did you think of the new/different rules? Personally I liked this pm method because I didn't have to check the thread all the time to see what had been guessed.
Anyway, well done!
I like this method. Allows me to guess the easy ones without having to worry about others getting in before me.
It also makes me not miss the quiz. Last week there was one that was solved entirely before I even knew a quiz was posted...
Old 04-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #47
Advie.1

les chapĂł" Zobraks (the man of the quizzes) ,,,espcially for figuring #94 path of betrayal !!.....

and much thanks chrissie for the obvious dedication for this stunning quiz !!!.. it was surely something different

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #48

Great debut quiz, chrissie! As i said, even the somewhat tinier screenshots contributed to a fresh change to the usual quizzes we've had.

And now - 6 things we learned from this quiz!:

1. There's a sunrise/sunset in EVERY game.

2. EVERYONE played Liath and Bad Day on the Midway.

3. No one played Shivers. Apart from HandsFree and zobraks, of course.

4. Only women play Uru. (Fien and SweetDalilah)

5. Only men play Nancy Drew. (zobraks and Trunkyo)

6. Leave the AGS games to Lady Kestrel.

Also, since "sky" was the motif, i was immediately reminded of Al Emmo, as in it you're able to interact with the sky on nearly every screen. Here's some of it, when you try to "grab" the sky :

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-18-2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #49

Quote:
Chrissie,
Do you remember where you got the box art for Riddle of the Sphinx? I had checked several places but since the ones I looked at had the sun on the other side of the sphinx, so I thought it was another Egyptian game.
Lady Kestrel, I used so many sources on the web I can't remember most of what I got where! Screenshots I'm slowly accummulating I'm coding now! If I do remember or come across it I'll send you a PM!

zobraks - now you know that I post 'diabolical' screenshots you'll have an advantage next time! (Chrissie makes a note to make them harder/more torturous... )

Thanks SweetDalilah for the link to 'The House of the Rising Sun' - I love that version now but the very first time I ever heard it was by a band called Frigid Pink - anyone?

TimovieMan - I really appreciated you joining in! I was very disappointed myself that the pics turned up so small but I really haven't posted a quiz before so it has been a learning curve for me & know better now so you'll have enormous pics next time!

On the subject of the PM method HandsFree it's the only way I would consider to do a quiz. For anyone else posting a quiz here I think it's down to them to make the rules. I think doing it by PM is more relaxed as otherwise you've got to be spending hours on-line, also the issue of time-zones came up which PM suits better! But there are a lot of players who like the immediacy of posting & don't like the PM method but there is room for different ways I think!

Anyway I just want to say an enormous Thank You to everyone for your words of appreciation & your support - I've really enjoyed doing the quiz but your response has made it all the more worthwhile!

Just added seeing your response diego! - there are some games I just couldn't find a sunset/sunrise in but I didn't think they would be too hard to see in the ones that had them - wrong!!!!

I was surpised that so many people had played Liath, as for Bad Day on the MIdway - 'Midway' was in the pic (as a PMer pointed out to me!) - er... I'm not going to comment about anything else! - I'll leave that for someone else!

Love the screenshots!

Last edited by chrissie; 04-17-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #50
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

(Yeah, I have Liath too, but I still haven't tried installing it on my old Win98 machine yet.)

Wow chrissie, the selection of older and obscure titles used was absolutely staggering! I only wish I had more time to look over the pics... I can't believe how many "easy" ones I missed! *kicks self as promised*

You've now raised the bar for superquizzes too! The Quiz Demon thanks you for all your time and effort overseeing this ambitious quiz!

(This isn't really the right place to be mentioning this, as I don't want to steal chrissie's thunder, but now I feel like putting the finishing touches on my next superquiz (the same one I mentioned at the end of the well quiz). Maybe I'll christen the new forums with it, unless it starts suffering from... "inadequacy" issues. )
Old 04-17-2012, 11:54 PM   #51

I'm looking forward to your next superquiz Trunkyo!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:00 AM   #52

Quote:
Chrissie,
OOPS! Sorry about the confusion (I confused myself!) - the clip was from the installation screenshot from Moby games as mentioned by HandsFree & not box art at all!
Old 04-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #53
UnseenUniversity Graduate

1 point! That's gotta be my worst score ever... or is it my average score? I forget...

Quote:
Great debut quiz, chrissie! As i said, even the somewhat tinier screenshots contributed to a fresh change to the usual quizzes we've had.

I play Nancy Drew! I just suck at quiz's...
Old 04-18-2012, 01:58 AM   #54
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
That was a very good quiz Chrissie! Quite difficult, but there were enough easier ones also.
Sure. The difficult ones were those that were so new that hardly anyone had a chance to play (Yesterday, To the Moon, The Next BIG Thing, Alpha Polaris) and then there were the old easy ones that everyone have played (Ben There, Dan That!, Nancy Drew 2: Stay Tuned for Danger, Fairy Tale about Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya, Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat, Mirage, Time Gentlemen, Please!, Rumpelstiltskin's Labyrinth of the Lost, Passage: Path of Betrayal).

To top it all there was (my favo(u)rite) Lillica Frankenstein Jessica Plunkenstein: The Dusseldorf Conspiracy. Christ.
Compared to 'Jessica Plunkenstein', 'Guybrush Threepwood' sounds so drab.
Quote:
Hey Zobraks, this was a quiz, not a match! Or was it?
Quiz or match or poker or a game of tennis - I just HATE to lose.
See you at the MM Fall Tournament!
Quote:
Me too, no single-person hogging (who said 'Gabriel Knight on pogo stick'?) here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
I like this method. Allows me to guess the easy ones without having to worry about others getting in before me.
It also makes me not miss the quiz. Last week there was one that was solved entirely before I even knew a quiz was posted...
We may just hope that ALL the future quizzes will be announced in advance and that there will be no double/triple quizzes going on simultaneously.

Quote:
the somewhat tinier screenshots
How sweet . That's our Diego - The Master of Euphemisms and the King of Politeness/Good Behavio(u)r.
Now let me tell you something - those screenshots were microscopical (bre!). Thank God it (obviously) was the equal problem for all of us.
I'm really amazed that people guessed the likes of pic #61. I mean there were only three lines on a bland yellow sky, for Christ's sake!
I'm proud of guessing that one.
Just for teasing Fien (Name:  mom.gif
Views: 109
Size:  1.8 KB): did I mention I had played only 15 of these 130 games?

Quote:
I've learned one more thing (although I should have known better): never expect to win anything if HandsFree is around.

Quote:
2. EVERYONE played Liath and Bad Day on the Midway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissie View Post
I was surpised that so many people had played Liath
Not really, but those two shots were so charasteristic that only someone who never heard of those two games wouldn't have guessed them.

Quote:
3. No one played Shivers. Apart from HandsFree and zobraks, of course.
You don't want to know how many sites I had to visit to figure that one out.

Quote:
4. Only women play Uru. (Fien and SweetDalilah)
No. That translates to "Only women BUY boxed games".

Quote:
Sure. Those Nancy-Fancy games agree with my feminine side. Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 105
Size:  959 Bytes

Quote:
Chrissie makes a note to make them harder/more torturous... )
I think you might consider making those screenshots smaller (if possible).
Name:  opanachke.gif
Views: 105
Size:  959 Bytes

Now THAT would be a challenge.

Quote:
On the subject of the PM method... there is room for different ways I think!
Of course, let there be a variety by all means.
Although I did somewhat better in those "first come, first serve" quizzes.

Quote:
Anyway I just want to say an enormous Thank You to everyone for your words of appreciation & your support
You're very WELCOME!

Quote:
I've really enjoyed doing the quiz but your response has made it all the more worthwhile!
Well, at least SOMEONE enjoyed all of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I HATE myself for not getting Zork GI.
Come on, Fien - that was only a colo(u)rful speck. I'm surprised anyone got it.
I have played Grim Fandango four or five times and yet almost failed to recognise it here or (even worse) at last years MMFT (that stupid coffin with stickers on).

Quote:
I hate myself even more for not guessing my beloved Isabelle.
Now that was a flop of yours, really.

Quote:
I don't want to spend that much time and effort on a quiz, so this quizmisstress will stick to her usual format.
Keep up the good work, you quizzes are among the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
I feel like putting the finishing touches on my next superquiz (the same one I mentioned at the end of the well quiz). Maybe I'll christen the new forums with it
Whatever you do just DON'T post it before the big cataclysm!!!!!Name:  paranoia.gif
Views: 122
Size:  1.0 KB
Speaking of cataclysm: there are only 176 working days until The End of the World, folks.

P.S. The effort I put in this single note might've put me through making a quiz of my own.

Last edited by zobraks; 04-18-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #55
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
No. That translates to "Only women BUY boxed games".
HA! Let me tell you how I got Uru right...
I was staring at #45 and vaguely remembered a desert and a car at the very beginning of Uru. No windmill though, so I checked the Uru pics at mobygames... nah, got it wrong again... and just as I was about to leave I noticed the box cover... hey! haven't I seen a similar pic in the quiz?
Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 AM   #56

And let me tell you a story - so, i'm sending a message to chrissie, guessing among other things that #66 is Fenimore Fillmore's Revenge.

chrissie replies to me, confirms what my right guesses were, and also says that #66 is wrong but, like a good sport, hints to me that i'm "very close".

"Hehe, an easy point for me now", i thought, and here i'm preparing to send my next round of guesses to chrissie. However, in the haze, i make a mistake and THINKING of #66 i'm instead writing #65, saying that it's, obviously as it seems - Wanted: A Wild Western Adventure.

However, chrissie's reply comes in - "#65 is not right, but you're "very close". "WHAT THE F...?! And now, having no idea about the mistake i made and with the #66 in my mind, i think to myself - "It's NOT Fenimore Fillmore's Revenge, and it's not Westerner?! Either chrissie is toying with me, or 3 Skulls of the Toltecs somehow miraculously transformed into 3D game" And then it was when i double-checked my PM messages

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!

Last edited by diego; 04-18-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #57
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Cheater!

I almost forgot the most amazing thing about this quiz.
How do you explain the fact that the screenshot from the most hyped AG EVER (yes, I mean (Holy) Syberia) was recognised by 3 (THREE!!!) people only?
Name:  eek.gif
Views: 119
Size:  1.2 KBName:  blink.gif
Views: 121
Size:  1.0 KB
And everybody around here and all the other AG-related forums keep falling on their noses declaring Syberia is the most important adventure game EVER!?!? (Not me and I recognised it.)
It sure is the game most of the people say they've played, but this "three people guessing it" fact makes you wonder...
Name:  wondering.gif
Views: 120
Size:  1.1 KB
Old 04-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #58
an angel of romance

I must say I'm quite satisfied with my 5th place, and 72 points. Name:  happydance.gif
Views: 112
Size:  4.6 KB I almost beat Trunkyo. Name:  evilgrin.gif
Views: 110
Size:  959 Bytes Name:  tongueout.gif
Views: 110
Size:  698 Bytes ( if I got here in time to guess 93 and another game I probably would )

Oh and while we're talking about the games we didn't guess even though we were supposed to, I'm quite dissapointed I didn't recognise Runaway 2. And I still can't believe I guessed so many games that I haven't even played, but didn't guess a couple of games I actually played. What on earth is going on with me? Name:  blink.gif
Views: 108
Size:  1.1 KB

Quote:
I was staring at #45 and vaguely remembered a desert and a car at the very beginning of Uru. No windmill though, so I checked the Uru pics at mobygames... nah, got it wrong again... and just as I was about to leave I noticed the box cover... hey! haven't I seen a similar pic in the quiz?
Same thing happened to my whith 24. I was looking for one egyptian screenshot, and then while looking at the cover art of Egypt II: The Heliopolis Prophecy, I saw this tiny box, and said "Hey doesn't that look familiar?" I checked the quiz, and voilĂ*, 24 it was.

Quote:
And let me tell you a story - so, i'm sending a message to chrissie, guessing among other things that #66 is Fenimore Fillmore's Revenge.

Either chrissie is toying with me, or 3 Skulls of the Toltecs somehow miraculously transformed into 3D game" And then it was when i double-checked my PM messages
Why you little lucky devil
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 04-18-2012, 06:21 AM   #59
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Quote:
I'm really amazed that people guessed the likes of pic #61. I mean there were only three lines on a bland yellow sky, for Christ's sake!
I recognized that pic because of those lines!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks
I've learned one more thing (although I should have known better): never expect to win anything if HandsFree is around.
Hopefully, HF will stay around long enough to really give Mr. Know-it-all Quiz Hog a run for his money! I might very well try out the PM method for the next superquiz, since he's always saying he can identify many more pics that have already been snapped up using the guessing rounds method. Plus, with my current work schedule, I wouldn't have to keep monitoring the rounds and responses so vigilantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks
The effort I put in this single note might've put me through making a quiz of my own.
Ha! Keep telling us that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
I must say I'm quite satisfied with my 5th place, and 72 points. I almost beat Trunkyo (if I got here in time to guess 93 and another game I probably would )
Then I guess it was good I PMed some final guesses when I was supposed to be working ! (I'm supposed to working now too! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetD
Same thing happened to my with 24. I was looking for one egyptian screenshot, and then while looking at the cover art of Egypt II: The Heliopolis Prophecy, I saw this tiny box, and said "Hey doesn't that look familiar?" I checked the quiz, and voilĂ*, 24 it was.
I was sure 24 was from one of the Egypt games, but the pic didn't look like the art in my copy of the game!

Last edited by Trunkyo; 04-18-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #60
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Quote:
I recognized that pic because of those lines!
The first rope on the left was a dead giveaway, right?

Quote:
Hopefully, HF will stay around long enough to really give Mr. Know-it-all Quiz Hog a run for his money!
Go bite your tongue!

Quote:
I might very well try out the PM method for the next superquiz, since he's always saying he can identify many more pics that have already been snapped up using the guessing rounds method.
Ha! Keep telling us that.
OK, it's a deal.

Quote:
I'm supposed to be working now too!
Serves you right!