Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   3D adventure games? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30887-3d-adventure-games.html)

Stargazer 04-11-2012 02:34 PM

3D adventure games?

Hi. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any more modern adventure games that are presented in a 3D environment. All of the old point and click adventure games are great, but I've been really wanting to try something similar but with a more updated, modern setup.

The only real examples I can think of off the top of my head are Dreamfall: The Longest Journey and King's Quest 8. They both involve a full 3D world that you can freely move around in like many of the more action-oriented games out there nowadays, but they focus much more on the "adventure" and exploration elements than the combat. If anyone knows of any please feel free to share, thanks!

kuze 04-11-2012 03:54 PM

Amnesia: The Dark Descent would qualify as such, if you have the stomach for it.

gray pierce 04-11-2012 04:04 PM

Broken Sword 3 qualifies as well I think

diego 04-11-2012 04:12 PM

80 Days, Myst 5, Conspiracies 2, Sherlock Holmes games up from The Awakened... Out of older titles - Normality, Realms of the Haunting if you don't mind a little action, Azrael's Tear and Tex Murphy games.

WitchOfDoubt 04-11-2012 05:38 PM

I think The Awakened was too much of a pixel-hunt. The only thing worse than a pixel-hunt in 2D is a pixel-hunt in 3D. That said, The Pandora Directive is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's as open for exploration as you'd like, though!

Arial Type 04-11-2012 06:20 PM

I'm currently at the end of Anachronox. This is my first playthrough, and my god, it's an extremely good 3D Adventure/RPG by Tom Hall. Made with the Quake2 engine, it is still one of the most stunning, epic and hilarious gaming experiences I've encountered. It mixes two genres much, much better than King's Quest did, with few random RPG elements and a strong focus on quests, puzzles and exploration. If you have a thirst for it, like I did about a month ago, it's just your thing :) And it is only 6 bucks on GOG.

You might also give Simon the Sorcerer 3D a chance. While there is nothing attractive about its visuals, the writing is on par with Anachronox, and the 3D world is open for exploration (not as detailed, of course). And puzzle-wise it's a solid adventure game, just like the previous chapters. Only longer and better)

TimovieMan 04-12-2012 02:59 AM

Let's not forget L.A. Noire and the two Portal games!

Although that usually sparks a debate as to whether or not they are adventure games... :D

Stargazer 04-12-2012 05:37 PM

Awesome, thanks for the replies thus far everyone! It sounds like I'll be occupied for a good while lol.

lobotomy42 04-13-2012 10:31 AM

There are some more "border" adventure games...

Chibi Robo for the Nintendo GameCube
Flower Rain and Sun for Nintendo DS, I think...
Stacking for PC/XBLA/PSN

Gabriel Knight 3 is pretty old now, but its full-3d