You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure OK ... jane jensen,Jane Jensen !...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #21
Freeware Co-ordinator

Expressing your thoughts on the forums is, in a way, to be encouraged. It's differing opinions that make for interesting discussion.

However, it is important to not just write something that reads like stream of consciousness. To have a meaningful discussion, other people need to be able to understand what you are writing. This is even more important on an international forum like this one, where English will not be the first language for many posters. It's hard enough to understand a foreign language without the content being scrambled. It's also worth bearing in mind whether something could fit into another thread on the same subject here. See the forum FAQ note on this.

I would remind all members that respect each other is also a fundamental principle of these forums. If you find this difficult with particular members then there is an option to prevent you seeing posts from them. Whilst we will generally issue a warning, abuse will not be tolerated and can lead to temporary or permanent loss of posting rights.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #22
Advie.1

Thanks steve for this post, which i dont say its with me but its fair and shows what for me and whats against.

Yeah i say what i am thinking, i didnt prepare it and that what i meant,i was more like talking to someone or just to myself which was not correct ....."not just write something that reads like stream of consciousness" ,Steve

you want me to apologize , i said i am mistaken .. you want me to go and get some English lessons , i already did that...
but if you want to stop posting just for the sake of it .. i would that too, because i am not really gaining much from my threads, (which i guess most of them are original in a way they never been discussed before) but to get more and more disrespect ,Nahh

i purchase Adventure and play them and this is what matters, to say my opinion in them will not change anything, it will not make Jane do another GK, or it would make Ken relaunch Sierra once again ..

so at last i will enjoy the adventures the way i always do, because i dont enjoy talking about them ...(here)..though i tried much, and that is not because i can not answer back, but because i just came from (Tahrirr) a Revolution in my Country and i am already feel wasted and restless because it failed after all, so i dont want to give attention anymore to some matters which my efforts will turn out be nothing but a drop in the sea.

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 04-07-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #23

Hi Adventurere, one of the things I love about forums is the freedom of expression as long as it's 'intelligent' - you are very expressive, promote debates & I enjoy reading yours & ensuing posts!

It doesn't sound like you disagree with Jane Jensen being considered as one of the best game designers but see your point in that perhaps she's been elevated above others that are on a par with her - oh dear! I think using the word 'overrated' wasn't a good idea but respect your opinion even if I don't agree!

I didn't get to play any of the Gabriel Knight games until mid 2000 by which time I'd played many others. Up until then I played some great games but none matched the very engaging intricate storylines & obvious research invested in them. I haven't played any games produced by Roberta Williams to compare though.

I thought Gray Matter has for the most part been very underrated - it had a great story along with the underlying research to make it work. The characters weren't as immediately likeable as they were with Gabe & Grace but they did grow on me - unfortunately the magic tricks didn't do the game any favours for a lot of players but to me they were just a different type of puzzle!

If I was in a position to help a kickstarter campaign I would most certainly give my money to Jane - I would so like to see a sequel to Gray Matter!

Last edited by chrissie; 04-07-2012 at 05:03 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 AM   #24
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissie View Post
!

oh dear! I think using the word 'overrated' wasn't a good idea but respect your opinion even if I don't agree!
yeaa you are right there, i think this is where i went wrong .. but (i will not give an excuse) what makes something or someone overrated? ...its us.

Jane gave her best when she was just a coo Designer with Roberta and Jim .so what i mean or what i was afraid of that when you love someone and start giving him too much credits he or she (no exceptions) start to get little bit cocky or better to say it decently a bit overwhelmed to an extend that would make s(he) feels that anything will do should get appreciated ...

sometimes somehow you need to be a little harsh with the person you love to keep him on track... but again who am i to address J.J this way, anyways i said what i said just out of love ...

thanks chrissie , you made me feel better actually .

Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #25

I think that any rated designer such as Jane Jensen with such a good track record is not really in a situation to be cocky about their past acclaim - more the opposite! They might attract a lot of interest but have to work that much harder to meet expections in a climate where AGs don't get the same funding as they might have done in the past. I thought JJ did a great job with Gray Matter - I think there's far more about the game than was given credit for but it's also a game that invited far more criticism than if it had been from an unknown developer.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #26
Advie.1

Gray Matter as a story there is no single scratch, but for the game playing with the story being revealed through, there is something (i can not put my hand on how to define) awkward!, or maybe not just melted deeply within,..... though there are a couple of moving moments/parts as this with Styles and that (memory refreshing) machine

Old 04-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #27

Adventurere, I'm interested to know aspects of the game you found awkward? - appreciating that you don't know how to define - it would be great if you could try - I'm intrigued!
Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #28
Advie.1

as you asking me like to review it
but i can hint to some things in the game but will not or can not give much details about, only as some points:

Samantha seems to be having some kind of disturbed background or past which was mentioned through a couple of her comments but nothing more revealed.

Samantha gets used by styles and she also uses students ( manipulated but with pure intentions) but the the story leads to Angela's wicked desires only at the end without pointing to some maybe kind Samantha's guilt for the other students

Angela's sick desires for styles and all that wicked things she did in order to get to him haven't been pointed (sure indirectly) at, but with a comment of her about Styles at almost the start of the game...

styles and his relations with everything the you encounter early with samantha is little not used like all the hotspots that samantha interacts before you play with him doesnt need be shown//described again from styles point of view... it would have been much fun though.

and as surely for the magic tricks they are all repetitive where you only need to get some materials and follow the book, i guess only one was sort of different (the dice one) i cant remember for sure.

as i said above so many things could had been taken much more deeply. but.. that didnt happen.

that what im able to define and remember all the same...
maybe i am greedy when something it good i you it perfect .. on the other side when some game is bad, then what the heck , who bother to think of .. as long as it had killed some time

Old 04-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #29

No Adventurere, I wasn't asking you to review it just to say why you found it awkward! I'm sorry! I just can't glean from your reply what you found awkward?

Okay Sam has a disturbed background which motivates her? I'm not sure I agree about her being used by Styles
Spoiler:
She lied, & took on the job that he was expecting someone else to do, who was whisked away in the opening scene. Styles is an employer & employers use people for the job they want done! Sam needed the money so went along with it.

I did think the game was quite deep but perhaps not your sort of game?
Old 04-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #30
Advie.1

sorry chrissie but i am out of words but lets say if the game mentions that she has a sort of a disturbed background then i expect some act later that presses on that or there would be no reason to mention it ... maybe styles didnt use her in that such fashion way but he made her do things without telling her what is it for,also seemed that no one who knew him would do them or anything for him,got advantage of her needings somehow,

and not forget that he was already waiting for an assistant before she showed up, so what about the real assistant ,what happed to her, or did i mess/forget something!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #31

It's all in the story. The original assistant was:
Spoiler:
disposed of by Angela through her obsession - it becomes apparent towards the end of the game

Both Sam & Styles are very troubled people each for different reasons, some are revealed in the game. Their motivations are different but somehow it all came together in the end for me. Yes, I agree that Sam got roped into doing things that involved
Spoiler:
engaging people to take part in experiments undertaken by a person they wouldn't otherwise have trusted

She was just trying in the first place to
Spoiler:
make enough money to get her motorbike fixed & went on to get more involved

I thought there was such a lot of depth to the characters & the game overall - maybe it was all too subtle?

Last edited by chrissie; 04-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #32

Definitely not subtle. One of the best things about the game was the character depth. Everything about the game and all other Jane games were the feeling of realism and the intensity you get out of something extraordinary.

A lot of games fail at capturing that because they try to create shock way to early in. You have to take your time so the player feels comfortable with the game and characters.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/