Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Quizzes? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30831-quizzes.html)

chrissie 04-03-2012 10:55 AM

Quizzes?

Thank you MoonBird & diego for the entertaining quizzes you've given us recently!

I've seen similar on other sites in the past & always thought I'd like to present one! I had an idea years ago & started to accummulate a few screenshots etc... I've now got something just about together & was thinking of posting it towards the end of the week over Easter? But:

1: I'm aware of 'overkill' so is it too soon and/or is anyone else planning anything soon? (I'll put mine on hold)

2: I don't want to repeat what's been already done & I'm aware of subjects: Wells, Lamps, Inventory & Seating - are there any others that have already been done? (Being new I missed the 'Well' one but know that Tapestries haven't featured yet - no it's not!)

3: I've noticed that the quizzes move quite quickly & responses are recorded on a 'getting in first' basis. I haven't got the time to keep up with this pace -& it does leave people behind that would like to participate but are not in a position to keep looking! So if/when I present something I would like to do it differently.....

4: It's not my original idea by any means, but the proposal is that I present my quiz over a few days & you PM me the answers rather than posting them. I fill in the names who have guessed correctly next to each number corresponding to the games. On ending post the titles of the games & the scores of each participant.

Let me know what ya think? :)

zobraks 04-03-2012 11:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
1. It's too soon (as far as I am concerned, of course). There had been THREE quizzes in last week.
And quite big quizzes too.

2. Here's what the quizzes here covered so far: animals, birds, cats, chairs, concept art, covers, dogs, dragons, dresses, feet, fountains, globes, horses, (Red) Indians, inventories, knights, light fixtures, lighthouses, maps, mice & elephants, monkeys, paintings, people, phones, pianos, roads/paths, robots, scarecrows, ships, skulls, symbols, trains, trees, vampires, toilets/WCs, watches/clocks, wells and windmills.
I'll send you (via PM) the links to all the previous quizzes, so you can check them yourself.

3. I strongly believe quizzes should be announced (at least a couple of days before), so all the people can have a fair chance to get the easy pictures.
In order to not let the quizzes run quickly, the guessing rounds should last more than 15 minutes Attachment 3406 (unlike in the last quiz Attachment 3405). Seriously, rounds should take at least a couple of hours, so that more people, specially from Australia (yes, I mean Skeeter! :)) can have a piece of action too.

4. Great idea. If we PM our answers, everyone will have the same chance to guess as much as (s)he can. That is much more fair than to have an open shooting and a quiz hogged Attachment 3407 by anyone (even myself :P).
We'll lose some of the guessing dynamics then :frown:, but you can't have it all.

P.S. Whatever you choose to do - do it, make the rules as you like and impose them - don't let anyone run the show for you once you're a quizmistress (quizmaster).

millenia 04-03-2012 11:11 AM

I personally find the cropped pictures of one item very hard to recognise. If the item should be a character in the game then it's okay, but indeed chairs and lamps are something that every game has and often there's nothing else in the picture to give any kind of hint.

This of course doesn't seem to be an issue for our adventurers with incredible observation skills and memory but I really only recognised anything from the inventory quiz and I've still played my share of those games.

diego 04-03-2012 11:27 AM

1. I see no reason why one shouldn't post the quiz as soon as the previous one is finished. Of course, you'll have to make your own judgement whether players are "fed up", and whether you should wait or not.

2. Of course, it's usually not a smart move to repeat "themes", but if you think you can say something new on the specific theme there're no restraints. Me myself have often found more pics of the theme i've already done, and wished to do "sequel". After all, ask Trunkyo - his "Trees" quizzes are popular series. :D

3. That's exactly why there's limit of (usually) 2 guesses, and rounds - so everyone, or almost everyone should be given an equal chance to participate. There're also time zones to consider. But everyone is free to make his own rules, and there's always room for improvements.

4. I don't like PMs. It can work of course, but for these type of quizzes i like to follow as the quiz "moves", regardless if i'm seeing only white spoiler lines, or actually reading them, like when i'm almost certain i can't guess it by myself.

Gabe 04-03-2012 11:28 AM

When closed guessing you'll get lots same guesses in your hand and we wont see when and who send the first right one.

jhetfield21 04-03-2012 11:33 AM

i think it's better to keep them apart and have one quiz in a while to have more to look forward to and also since i don't think the themes that can be used for quizzes are finite they are bound to end at some point if we don't repost quiz themes that we've already encountered.so for the long hall i'd prefer it to be balanced over time.
of course i might be underestimating the tenacity and creativity of the quiz makers of our merry forum but either way i still prefer a some time in between quizzes.

MoonBird 04-03-2012 12:03 PM

I'm with diego and Gabe here.

inm8#2 04-03-2012 12:48 PM

Someone should put together a treasure hunt.

SweetDalilah 04-03-2012 12:53 PM

1. Me and some other quizmasters (like the Quiz Demon Trunkyo) have been planning new quizzes, so would it be a problem for you to wait a bit? Also I think one or two quizzes at most in a month are really enough, because people get tired of constant guessing, or are to busy to guess that much.
I myself have missed Moonbird's quiz, by the time I saw the quiz, 2 rounds have already been closed :crazy:, and I've been to busy to try to guess the pictures I didn't recognise immediately. :frown:
So I think annoncing quizzes at least a week in advance would be a great idea, and rounds should last 6 or 12 hours (depending on the time of the day). That's how we've been doing it (take a look at the previous quizzes, I'm sure zobraks will send you the links)

2. I've done The Road Quiz, and The Dresses Quiz. :) Zobraks has mentioned the others.

3. That's why the round's should last for 4, 6 or 12 hours at least so that everyone could get to the quiz in time, and the quizzes should be announced before posting them. (Adventure game scene is a good place to do so ;), or maybe even this thread :D)

4. I agree with diego here :D

Oh and you can go to the search button on the forum and enter Quiz and search for threads. That way you should find all the quizzes posted on the forums

chrissie 04-03-2012 12:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the response! I'll post the quiz sometime over the weekend or early next week.

Thanks zobraks for the list of items already been done & for your PM with the links.! :) What I have in mind hasn't been done yet but ya'll probably breeze through it in no time - maybe! :P

Gabe - PMs will come in order of who sent first which I will reflect in the same order next to game numbers. I can on ending put the first correct guesses statistically (if you really want me to - oh! okay!) I'm intending to up-date at least once if not more each day (I'm envisaging this going over about 3 days?)

diego - I don't see the way I want to do it as 'improvement' just a more flexible way for me to fit in with other commitments. As for PMs - you just need to click on my name & give me your answers - there's no need to spend time with niceties (unless you want to!) & I would reply on the thread about whether your wrong or right & enter name accordingly. Okay, I see what you mean about following the quiz as it moves but it will give you more time to think, also I will enter details as/when & as often as I can.

EDIT: Just seen your post SweetDalilah - I'm quite happy to wait - just let me know when nothing else has been planned! (NB I see the way the quizzes are run - but I can't see any reason why it can't be different every now & again)

Fien 04-03-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissie (Post 606017)
4: It's not my original idea by any means, but the proposal is that I present my quiz over a few days & you PM me the answers rather than posting them. I fill in the names who have guessed correctly next to each number corresponding to the games. On ending post the titles of the games & the scores of each participant.

That's the way it was done at Just Adventure when Aya was still around. (I liked Aya and his clever quizzes. God, I can feel one of those where-are-they-now waves of nostalgia rising. :\) Yes, it's different, less relaxed, more competition. Not everybody will like that. But there's no shortage of quizmasters/mistresses here, so why not do it your own way and see if it catches on.

chrissie 04-03-2012 01:20 PM

Thanks Fien for your encouragement! - I don't remember Aya's but there were some interesting quizzes from other members which I really enjoyed! :)

TimovieMan 04-03-2012 02:51 PM

I'm mostly with zobraks on this.

1. There's just been three quizzes in less than a week. Maybe a bit of a break would be good. Waiting till after Easter is fine by me.

2. Zobraks listed them all.

3. Announcing them would be good. Makes us not miss the quizzes when they go by fast.
Given the popularity of them (especially these last three - blitzsolved), maybe restricting everyone to just ONE guess per round could make it last a bit longer still?
But really, however you wish to run your own quiz, do so.

4. Would be the fairest and give everyone an equal shot at it. We don't always see the quiz the second it's posted and doing it via PM might give the weaker players (like myself :D) an equal shot at the low-hanging fruit... :P
Part of the fun is in the guessing, though, but as stated in 3: lead your quiz in whatever way you deem best.

chrissie 04-03-2012 03:39 PM

Thanks TimovieMan for your comments - much appreciated! Okay, taking everyone's comments into account, & to give notice, I'll be posting the quiz on Saturday 14th April & the plan is to run it until Tuesday 17th evening (UK time) I'm going to stick to my own rules where you PM me your answers rather than posting - there's obviously no obligation to take part if you don't agree! It would suit me better & also give a better chance to anyone that would like a fair bash but not in a situation to keep-up. :)

SweetDalilah 04-03-2012 03:52 PM

Thanks for posting it in the weekend chrissie :D I really hope we didn't pic the same theme ;) :P

I know it's done this way (with the PMs) at the Mystery Manor Tournament, but I never actually participated there. :frown:

So do we have to send you all the guesses we know straight away, or can we send them in a few PMs as we remember them until 17th evening? :)

Lady Kestrel 04-03-2012 04:18 PM

I like the PM idea the best. Rushing to get an answer in only to find that somebody else got it moments before can be very frustrating. I've also missed quizzes completely because I was away from the computer for a day. Still, I enjoy playing no matter how they're presented, and I appreciate the time it takes to put a quiz together and run it.

I think the way our quiz makers here have been doing it would be a bit more workable if there were a set time for a round (12 or 24 hours maybe) and the answers per round were limited to 1 or 2, depending on the number of items to be guessed. That way, everyone who wants to participate would get more of a chance.

Trunkyo 04-03-2012 09:05 PM

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8839/trunksie02.png

Time for the Quiz Demon himself to chime in!

1. and 2. As SweetDalilah said above, I have several new quizzes in the works, but because of the recent quiz fever (and other reasons), I won't be posting my next one anytime soon, so I will look forward to chrissie's quiz in the meantime (and those from any other budding quizmasters and quizmistresses! :)) Yes, quiz themes and quiz sizes are limited only by the quizmaker's creativity and resourcefulness, and not necessarily by the size of his/her game collection! The wide range of games usually allows for quiz 'sequels', as mentioned by diego (there were two phone quizzes, three map quizzes and four quizzes from my tree series). So far, no one else has been insane enough to create another superquiz (100+ pics, by my definition). For some weird reason, each time I announced a new superquiz, people would start drooling! :9~

3. and 4. The pros and cons of guessing rounds vs. PMs have already been weighed, so there's not much more that I can add. In my earlier tree quiz series, I offered the PM option to anyone who felt confident they recognized a majority of the pics and didn't want to be limited to the maximum number of guesses per round. Only a handful of people ever chose this option, so I discontinued it. :( However, after looking at the results from last few quizzes, I'm thinking of reinstating the PM option for the "quiz hogs" and "know-it-alls" who want to show off their prodigious adventure game recognition and memory skills :P, and to give more people a chance to participate.

chrissie 04-03-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetDalilah (Post 606094)
Thanks for posting it in the weekend chrissie :D I really hope we didn't pic the same theme ;) :P

I know it's done this way (with the PMs) at the Mystery Manor Tournament, but I never actually participated there. :frown:

So do we have to send you all the guesses we know straight away, or can we send them in a few PMs as we remember them until 17th evening? :)

So the weekend after next it is - might give me time to find some extra pics to bring it upto 100! I'm hoping that we haven't picked the same theme SweetDalilah! Yes, the idea would be to send as many PMs as you remember/find the games!

For anyone that likes the competitiveness of being the first to guess, that would be reflected in the order of names & I'll also post the statistics.

I'm sorry Trunkyo I've missed so many of your past quizzes - with so many themes covered it must be harder to think of ideas! - I've got a few but it will take me months to get another quiz together. It looks like the PM option doesn't work so well in conjunction with rounds but I will be doing PM only! As said, I'll find it easier to keep up & as Lady Kestrel said it'll give more people a chance to participate. I'm not btw suggesting the way they're usually done should change!

zobraks 04-03-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissie (Post 606091)
I'll be posting the quiz on Saturday 14th April

You're THE (wo)man, Chrissie! :) Thank you very much for the (very proper) announcement of your quiz.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trunkyo (Post 606130)
Time for the Quiz Demon himself to chime in!

It took you quite a long time to do so! :devil:
Seriously, you're the man whose AGF quizes (beside Fien's) I like the best and one of the most competent people in the field (I wish I had YOUR collection of in-game screenshots! :frown:).

Quote:

Yes, quiz themes and quiz sizes are limited only by the quizmaker's creativity and resourcefulness, and not necessarily by the size of his/her game collection!

And it shows! :D

Quote:

For some weird reason, each time I announced a new superquiz, people would start drooling! :9~

*zobraks drools all over the place* :P:D

Quote:

after looking at the results from last few quizzes, I'm thinking of reinstating the PM option for the "quiz hogs" and "know-it-alls" who want to show off their prodigious adventure game recognition and memory skills :P

Don't let the latest results fool you: we all (or at least those even remotely intelligent among us :P) know that in the last quiz (chairs) all you needed for guessing heaps of stuff was: 1) a list of games (all of them 3rd person!) featured in the previous (light fixtures) quiz - almost all the screenshots in 'chairs quiz' were taken from the games the screenshots in 'light fixtures quiz' were taken from (And the quizmaster told us so at the start of the 'chairs quiz', to boot! :D), 2) Internet connection to Moby (where the screenshots featured) and 3) some spare time.

Regarding this: Chrissie, if you're about to give hints, please don't give any hints about the games in your quiz before it's absolutely necessary. In case you don't want your quiz to go down in flames :P, that is.

chrissie 04-13-2012 11:52 AM

Just to let you know I am planning to post my quiz tomorrow at 8.00 am UK time - please allow until 9.00 am to allow for technical difficulties on my part (it's a first for me!) so keep looking if you're competitive & want to guess the answers first! (That will be a mini competition!) The quiz will run until Tuesday 17th April 7.00 pm UK time unless all participants correctly guess all of the answers before that! :

Answers will be by PM only! :)

HandsFree 04-13-2012 12:22 PM

Cool! I tried to join a few times but I was always too late (for the ones I knew anyway :)).

Adventurere No.1 04-13-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 606019)
1. It's too soon (as far as I am concerned, of course). There had been THREE quizzes in last week.
And quite big quizzes too.

2. Here's what the quizzes here covered so far: animals, birds, cats, chairs, concept art, covers, dogs, dragons, dresses, feet, fountains, globes, horses, (Red) Indians, inventories, knights, light fixtures, lighthouses, maps, mice & elephants, monkeys, paintings, people, phones, pianos, roads/paths, robots, scarecrows, ships, skulls, symbols, trains, trees, vampires, toilets/WCs, watches/clocks, wells and windmills.

was the people quiz about the NPCs ? can you send me the link of that quiz please ...because i am working on that and i just dont want to find out that it was already made

Fien 04-13-2012 01:38 PM

Advie, you can find that quiz quite easily.

- search this forum (adventure)
- advanced search
- keywords: quiz people
- show results as threads
- search now

Scroll down. There it is! FMV quiz: people

Adventurere No.1 04-13-2012 03:41 PM

great, that doesnt interfere with my plan.

thanks my sweet teacher

chrissie 04-14-2012 01:17 AM

I've been trying to post a quiz since 8 o'clock this morning but the picture of the pics keeps coming up too small! :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: How do I get them to fill the screen please?

SweetDalilah 04-14-2012 01:22 AM

Don't attach the picture yourself. Post them to some image hosting website like Photobucket, or ImageShack. And then post the image link ( IMG code ) from that site here :)

Fien 04-14-2012 01:24 AM

Diego* should be able to help you. Question: What site did you use for uploading the pic? I use ImageShack for my quizzes. If you do too, select the option "do not resize". Might help.

EDIT: *or SweetD. :)

zobraks 04-14-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrissie (Post 607671)
I've been trying to post a quiz since 8 o'clock this morning but the picture of the pics keeps coming up too small! :frusty: :frusty: :frusty: How do I get them to fill the screen please?

Use PhotoBucket or some other image-storing place, get the link of an uploaded picture there (right click on a picture IN FULL VIEW, Copy Image Location), and then put that link between image tags: [ img]link[ /img], without spaces, "link" as copied at PhotoBucket.

BTW, you can have image thumbnails as well, the competitors will click on them and have a full view of your picture at PhotoBucket (or some other image-storing site).

chrissie 04-14-2012 01:28 AM

Thanks All!, yes I was trying to attach from a file so I'll try either Image shack or Photo Bucket!

zobraks 04-14-2012 01:35 AM

I used both IS and PB and I think the latter is more intuitive (easier to use), but it's your pick.

TimovieMan 04-16-2012 08:01 AM

I tend to just use my personal web space. Saves me the trouble of having to subscribe to a site, and I can leave the files online for as long as I want...

Adventurere No.1 04-16-2012 12:07 PM

i would like to make a matching things/stuff with their games Quiz ..

i imagine it would go this way ;
50 (or more) images of Game's Covers with another 50 Images of things(inventory's,NPCs,doors,views.....whatever stumbling) and surely all the images will numbered ... and the rest is a test .

but since me screwing up with (where did i see those people)'s Quiz :D.. i would want someone willing to be an administrator of the Quiz.

i will/can collect/gather all the photos (with help and suggestions, eventually from admin) , and to edit them as well then ... and there we go.

chrissie 04-18-2012 09:27 AM

Hi Adventurere - are you suggesting that you do the nice bit of getting all the pictures together with someone else's input & then someone else does all the hard work totting up scores etc after you present it? What are you like! :pan:

Adventurere No.1 04-18-2012 04:17 PM

yup! .. because that is the spirit of the adventure player .

HandsFree 04-19-2012 03:10 AM

So... Who's working on a quiz at the moment (or having one ready)?
Trunkyo already announced his and Adventurere No1 and SweetDalilah have mentioned working on one.

I happen to have one that I never got to use so I like to dust it off and present it sometime, but of course I'll move to the end of the queue, that's why I'm asking.
I'm assuming a gap of 3 weeks or so between quizzes is realistic?

zobraks 04-19-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandsFree (Post 608397)
So... Who's working on a quiz at the moment (or having one ready)?

Not me! :D

Quote:

Trunkyo already announced his and Adventurere No1 and SweetDalilah have mentioned working on one.

We're eagerly waiting for Trunks"s super-duper-ultra quiz! :)

Quote:

I happen to have one that I never got to use so I like to dust it off and present it sometime

Great! Finally a quiz I can win! :D
Just don't start it during Roland Garros od (God forbid!) Wimbledon!

Quote:

but of course I'll move to the end of the queue

I guess it's fair to wait for one's turn (unlike some people around here I know :pan:).

Quote:

I'm assuming a gap of 3 weeks or so between quizzes is realistic?

It's more like 3 minutes lately. :(

HandsFree 04-19-2012 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 608399)

When is that then? :D (really, I have no idea)

zobraks 04-19-2012 03:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by zobraks (Post 608399)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandsFree (Post 608403)
When is that then? :D (really, I have no idea)

Attachment 3499
Roland Garros: 21st of May - 3rd of June
Wimbledon: 25th of June - 8th of July

HandsFree 04-19-2012 04:05 AM

Noted. 27th of July is OK then? :)

Fien 04-19-2012 04:08 AM

Are you catering to my needs too? Just asking. :shifty: