You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Kickstarter fatigue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2012, 05:47 PM   #21
Codger

When the original project for funding was proposed I was excited. Now they've all become a blur. Really...Can't Al Lowe get his own funding if he really wanted to redo LSL1? It's a feeding frenzy for gullible funds. I no longer think it worthwhile.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #22

I'm just getting into Kickstarter, backed a few projects, and find the whole concept pretty exciting. Maybe I'll feel differently after the newness wears off, but I doubt it.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin View Post
Who cares how many kickstarter projects are coming out. If the phenomenon is such that Jane Jensen can make a new game free from the constraints of a publisher than the movement is completely justified for this gamer. Just think about where we were two months ago. This movement is the best news for the making of and distributing adventure games than we've had in a long long time. Ignore the projects you don't care about, support the ones you do, and thank your lucky stars that your favorite adventure game auteurs have a new means to fund their creative ventures!!
This.

Kickstarter is the catalyst for many of these games that would probably not have the backing of a publisher. I do have fatigue in seeing everyone thinking they have a great idea for a game on Kickstarter, but proven devs? No problem. Bring it on Jane.! I'm still not sure what to make of it all regarding the indie scene. It really depends on the idea and how its presented.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:04 PM   #24
Schattenjäger

I am pretty nervous for jane jensen and tex murphy. We are getting to the point where news sites and blogs are starting to get sick of all the kickstarters. Forget all this remake and re-release stuff... please dont let those 2 fail

However, if janes kickstarter turns out to be a GK remake for tablets... then please just dont let tex fail
Old 04-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #25

As more Kickstarter projects come to life, I hope we can find the more obscure ones more readily than scrolling through hundreds of projects. I feel like there are probably some great ones that get overlooked.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM   #26

i did kinda agree with Kurufinwe on this but i'm having second thoughts.
i think that whoever wants to give money after the game is completed to buy it is still important but for those who want to support in order for a game they want to be made and published is also important.what i feared was a situation where every developer out there joins in and asks for money up front in order to make a game.i don't know it sounds bad in some ways.maybe i shouldn't think of it that way but that's what first came to my mind.anyways i support the first sentence of the paragraph more now so...

but there's still something about this kickstarter fad that may prove good.correct me if i'm wrong but there's been a problem with funding projects and difficult decisions are made in projects simply because a publisher has a problem with something in the game.also the whole genre seems to be losing ground in the publisher area.maybe kickstarter will prove them wrong.maybe it will change the publishers' and the financial backers' idea about adventure gaming.that there's still enough people out there giving their support and that they should give it a second thought in supporting developers in new projects.

i don't know maybe i'm naive but DFA should be a fine example for a publisher to be impressed.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:14 PM   #27

I don't get the talk of fatigue at all. Anyone that can afford to buy games can pre-buy these kickstarter ones cheap. And if you Really like a specific type of game and are willing to spend 10 times the normal amount to see it get made, then it's cool.

OOOH IM SO TIRED, STOP
Old 04-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #28

I'm really glad Brian Fargo started the "Kicking It Forward" program. 5% of profits (not from funding) will be put into other Kickstarter projects. Double Fine and various other efforts are on board.

http://kickingitforward.org/

There's one game on Kickstarter that has other investors but needed a bit more to demonstrate value/potential for their product.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ctical-shooter

Quote:
$200,000 is a lot of money, but doesn't seem enough to fully fund the game.

We have investors (not publishers, but VC folks) who are interested but unsure if there is truly a market for real tac shooters. This seed money will be enough to fund startup and show the investors the market is real.
I know some other big projects have backers outside of Kickstarter, but I just don't want to see companies using Kickstarter to fund games they could fund anyways.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #29

for me, it comes down to who i trust wil:

1: actually make and finish the game
2: provide the quality their reputations are built on.

double fine, have my faith 100% they have a big company, and have done many more ambitious projects that would have required much bigger resources than a P&C, plus you have two of the legends of the genre.

no leisure suit larry, this is stupid, wouldn;t go near it. 500k for a remake...NO, and there is no mention on how many games this budget will cover. that whole page is shifty as hell.

same goes for the 200k military shooter mentioned above. very shift when they are just trying to suck people into helping them pitch an idea.

just be more thoughtful and really ask if you trust your money is truly going to result in something that will meet your expectations
Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM   #30
Schattenjäger

^no doubt about it. Trust and transparency are absolutely vital to having a really successful fundraising. The pitch should sound like a person who is asking for help to make their dreams come true. Not like a company who is selling you somthing (even though thats technically what it is).
Old 04-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #31
Filmfreak

I agree with previous statements that trust and transparency are crucial for the success of a Kickstart campaign.

Some household names (like Schafer) get that trust based on their reputation alone. New developers will need to give a decent amount of "in development footage" so that we can see for ourselves whether they can deliver and whether it'll be to our liking. Enough to donate, at least.
And they need to be honest about why they want the funds. I'm still not liking Al Lowe's Larry remake idea...

Anyway, I don't think we can speak of a Kickstarter fatigue. If there's fatigue, new Kickstarters won't reach their goals, it's as simple as that.
Everyone is jumping on the Kickstarter wagon right now it seems, but give it some time. It'll reach an equilibrium at some point. Just don't expect any more Schafer-like numbers soon.

And as long as Kickstarter allows developers to fund more adventure games, I'm up for it! Bring them on!
Old 04-04-2012, 02:55 AM   #32
Senior *female* member

It seems to me many people are discovering Kickstarter when I'm already on my way out. Goods not being delivered, no reply to public/private questions, etcetera. I've been burned enough. Not just financially. Yeah, it's all about trust and I'm looking at you too, Andrew Plotkin, with your three dollar iPhone game that is showing no progress whatsoever. I never thought twice about supporting you. After all, you're well-known in the IF community. But someone who after 16 months has the bloody arrogant nerve to post in public: Let's assume that if I had a release date to announce, I'd announce it, okay? (I wish I didn't have to explain that every time.) doesn't deserve the $30,000 he got from his backers.

And then Double Fine came along... I loved the hype, I pledged a lot of money, and I have no doubt they will deliver, they can't afford not to. But it hasn't changed anything for me. I will support a new Tex Murphy game, and that's it. No more Kickstarter for me.* I just hope that people will not only donate to the Big Names, the sequels and remakes.

*Unless Jordan Mechner makes an appearance. I would sell my jewellery for a sequel to The Last Express. That's not going to happen, I know...
Old 04-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #33
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
*Unless Jordan Mechner makes an appearance. I would sell my jewellery for a sequel to The Last Express. That's not going to happen, I know...
But he might do a kickstarter to fund his next "The making of" book, this time on TLE. I'd totally back that as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 AM   #34

Adventure game fans have been waiting years, years, and more years for something like this. I think it is fantastic. I suppose they should be a bit careful about exhausting peoples funds but, I can't help but be excited anyways.

I didn't donate to DFA, but that is only because by the time I heard about it, it was already over 3 million. At this point, I'll just buy the game when it actually comes out. I did donate to LSL though. Even though I don't necessarily need another remake, I am an old school Sierra fan and back in the day I would have been shelling out $50+ for a retail copy; $15 is nothing compared to that. I also plan on fully support Tex and Jane Jenson's game as much as I can if it will indeed be kickstarter. It looks like the Tex guys are going for broke and setting their sights on FMV (I don't think the fans would like it any other way actually) so I have a feeling their initial goal might be quite high. (maybe that's why they gave people a months notice; so fans could set some money aside)
Old 04-04-2012, 04:28 AM   #35
recovering AG addict

Jane Jensen is now also officially launching a kickstarter campaign...

Max: Right! We'll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That's spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #36
The Quiet One

I think Kickstarter is a great idea! As others have said, it's ideal for independent developers to get their ideas/projects funded without a publisher around their necks. I'm surprised there are adventure fans complaining about it when the genre has been struggling the way it has! I would have thought that if some form of help or solution comes along, it would be embraced?

I also like the idea of devs getting their fans involved and asking what THEY want. Sure, artists should make what THEY want, but I'd rather devs get their fans involved, and care what they have to say, as apposed to some greedy devs giving gamers what they think they want.

Also, YOU can choose what to fund. You don't have to fund every new project that appears, just the ones that interest YOU.

So far I've only backed the Double Fine Adventure, but I'll be lending a hand with the Tex Murphy one, too.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-04-2012, 05:49 AM   #37
A.A

Tsk tsk...

People are so cynical these days.

Kickstarter could be responsible for having games by Al Lowe, Tim Schafer/Ron Gilbert and Jane Jensen all being made at once...as if it was 20 years ago!

How does that not excite people?

Yeah, no, I'm loving this Kickstarting business.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I just hope that people will not only donate to the Big Names, the sequels and remakes.
Isn't that what you did?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:51 AM   #39

(It's kind of amusing how the crowd's demands -- reputation, track record, proof of concept, proof of progress, transparency, creative (co-)control -- actually aren't very different from what publisher executives frequently demand from developers. )
Old 04-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #40
Detective

Tex Murphy will be the last game i'll be backing but i'll make a HUGE exception if there's a Planescape 2 or another Obsidian rpg project. Hell if it's Planescape 2 i'll sell my crappy dusty ps3XD.