Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Leisure Suit Larry and Al Lowe need your help on Kickstarter (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30825-leisure-suit-larry-al-lowe-need-your-help-kickstarter.html)

thejobloshow 04-25-2012 07:14 AM

BOOM! We just hit 500k! Sierra is back!!!!!!! Sierra is back!!!!!!

Jatsie 04-25-2012 07:58 AM

I'm ecstatic that they've made their goal, and with a week to spare. I wonder how much past the target they'll achieve once it finishes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 609094)
Speaking of which, a guy over at the Replay Games forum has proposed his version of Larry:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...le-d4x52qb.jpg

While i'm not sure this is what i would like Larry to look like, it is obvious that more details, shades... are needed, and I agree that the original sprite is flat and out of place in this background.

I have to say, the guy has done a pretty nice job there; before the cartoon-styling of Love for Sail, the VGA characters had a more painted look, and he's captured that quite faithfully. The face needs a fair bit of tweaking though; Larry looks like he's had a stroke recently.

thejobloshow 04-25-2012 06:43 PM

This is what it's all about people.

http://kotaku.com/5905227/leisure-su...+million-bucks

MrOslo 04-26-2012 07:06 AM

Now let's get to 750K! Not sure if I think that will happen, but it's doing good right now.

I'm just glad we're actually getting the Larry-remake! Can't wait to revisit Lost Wages!

Jatsie 04-26-2012 11:04 AM

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I find some of the discussions on the Replay Games forum to be quite bemusing.

In so many of the threads where people are discussing what they'd like to see in the game, it seems to boil down to: more babes, more boobs, and more nudity.

I've always loved Larry, but I loved it in spite of those things, not because of them. To me LSL games were good because the writing was amusing, and because the puzzles were enjoyable. This is what made me keep going back and playing them again, and playing the sequels.

The cartoon women in their various stages of undress were always something which I paid no attention to, because aside from being of no interest to me they always seemed like background elements, and not an integral part of what made Larry so much fun to play. I know that I'm not exactly the target audience for the LSL games, but it still surprises me how much importance people seem to place on this aspect.

inm8#2 04-26-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jatsie (Post 609313)
In so many of the threads where people are discussing what they'd like to see in the game, it seems to boil down to: more babes, more boobs, and more nudity.

Would it be wrong of me to suggest that, without the notion of increased sexual content, the LSL kickstarter would not have been funded so well?

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. 10000 people for a remake of a remake. 3000 for an original game that has been detailed with some story and illustrative concepts (you all know which project). Doesn't make sense.

Jatsie 04-26-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 609314)
Would it be wrong of me to suggest that, without the notion of increased sexual content, the LSL kickstarter would not have been funded so well?

Probably not.

Had you asked me before, then I would have liked to have answered by saying that I thought adventure game fans were above that sort of thing, and had more depth to them. Now, I'm not so sure. :frown:

zane 04-26-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 609314)
Would it be wrong of me to suggest that, without the notion of increased sexual content, the LSL kickstarter would not have been funded so well?

Id say its correct. Can you imagine a kickstarter to remake kingsquest 1? Where they say "okay we'l update the art and add voices for 500k... if we get more maybe we'll add some eastereggs and other content" I imagine such a scheme getitng blasted from all sides.

Or how about a considerably longer game: quest for glory 1. If the coles wanted to do a remake of a remake of QFG1 would they get anywhere near 500k???
I sincerely doubt it.

rtrooney 04-26-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 609314)
Would it be wrong of me to suggest that, without the notion of increased sexual content, the LSL kickstarter would not have been funded so well?

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. 10000 people for a remake of a remake. 3000 for an original game that has been detailed with some story and illustrative concepts (you all know which project). Doesn't make sense.

Well, Josh Mandel, who is part of the "team" sent me this link.

While nobody knows what will be in the final version, it appears that increased sexual content is far down on the list of priorities.

And. fwiw. I was not a contributor to the third remake. It is still a waste of money as far as I'm concerned.

JuntMonkey 04-26-2012 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 609314)
Would it be wrong of me to suggest that, without the notion of increased sexual content, the LSL kickstarter would not have been funded so well?

If I sound bitter, it's because I am. 10000 people for a remake of a remake. 3000 for an original game that has been detailed with some story and illustrative concepts (you all know which project). Doesn't make sense.

Leisure Suit Larry is a popular license, far more so than Gabriel Knight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 609322)
Id say its correct. Can you imagine a kickstarter to remake kingsquest 1? Where they say "okay we'l update the art and add voices for 500k... if we get more maybe we'll add some eastereggs and other content" I imagine such a scheme getitng blasted from all sides.

Or how about a considerably longer game: quest for glory 1. If the coles wanted to do a remake of a remake of QFG1 would they get anywhere near 500k???
I sincerely doubt it.

King's Quest definitely would get funded. QFG I'm not sure.

zane 04-26-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuntMonkey (Post 609372)
King's Quest definitely would get funded. QFG I'm not sure.

Kings quest 1? Have you played it? The game was extremely short and already has pollished fan remakes.
As a general brand yeah it would pick up alot of attention. But for just remaking a 2 hour game that already has remakes theyd be under alot more scrutiny from adventure fans, and not benefit from the "sex" boost.

Jatsie 04-27-2012 07:17 PM

Tomorrow one of the backers is doing a 14-hour gameplay marathon, through all six original Leisure Suit Larry games, as a fundraiser. 50% of the proceeds will be going to the Kickstarter project, and the other 50% to the "It Gets Better" charity.

He made a video explaining it: http://youtu.be/_Ot_BxS--QM

You can tune in to watch here starting at 14:00 UTC, or the equivalent where you are. There's also a link on that page for anyone interested in donating.

Fien 04-27-2012 10:16 PM

Of course the Larry games appeal to a much wider group than Jane Jensen's games. And yes, sex and sexual jokes are, and always were, a key element. Who are you kidding?

I'd pledged $15 (nostalgia) but this thread has finally convinced me I should cancel my pledge. They don't need my money anyway.

EDIT: Something else bothering me about all those kickstarter projects... it's like crowd funding has now turned into donating to charity. I don't care about marathons, concerts, whathaveyounot, and if the tremendous effort to publicize JJ's games doesn't pay off, maybe, just maybe!, people should acknowledge the fact that she has an extremely devoted fan base which happens to be extremely small.

thejobloshow 04-28-2012 12:08 AM

For those of you keeping score at home, Fien still doesn't like Kickstarter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 609314)
If I sound bitter, it's because I am. 10000 people for a remake of a remake. 3000 for an original game that has been detailed with some story and illustrative concepts (you all know which project). Doesn't make sense.

You mean 3,000 people for a game that feels pretty damn close to Gabriel Knight, right? Those 3,000 people had a choice and they chose familiarity over originality.

Anyway, there are plenty of factors at play here. The larger base, more exposure in the media and just bad timing.

orient 04-28-2012 01:31 AM

I'm not necessarily sure it's originality vs. familiarity in regards to gaming Kickstarter campaigns as a whole. I think people A) want to know exactly what type of game they're paying for and B) be 100% confident that the team can pull it off.

Cyrus 04-28-2012 02:40 AM

They've successfully reached the 500000 level some days ago. And a new update:

"So, here's the easier one: at the $550,000 level, we will be maxing out the game responses along the lines I suggested in my video update. Tons more jokes, tons more responses for clicking on screen features, dialogue trees, inventory-on-inventory messages, and more story! We’ll load every existing nook and cranny with extra content because, as Al pointed out to us, the original was “kinda thin” on that.

Now, here's the big one: at the $650,000 level, we're doing something that will change the face of Larry forever (if only!): we're adding a new location, new puzzles, and a new girl with her own storyline! Is this the infamous female character that Al was forced to cut from the original 1987 version of Leisure Suit Larry 1? Or am I just making that up entirely to add a sense of mystery? Your guess is as good as mine!"

Now how's that, guys? ;)

TimovieMan 04-28-2012 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 609545)
I'm not necessarily sure it's originality vs. familiarity in regards to gaming Kickstarter campaigns as a whole. I think people A) want to know exactly what type of game they're paying for and B) be 100% confident that the team can pull it off.

Then why isn't Jensen's campaign doing better?

Fien 04-28-2012 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 609556)
Then why isn't Jensen's campaign doing better?

Exactly. And I am sorry her campaign isn't doing any better.

thejobloshow:
Quote:

For those of you keeping score at home, Fien still doesn't like Kickstarter.
What's eating you? I am not allowed to post criticism? I do like crowd funding in general. I have funded 7 kickstarter projects, which is probably more than most people here are funding.

harald 04-28-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fien (Post 609528)
I'd pledged $15 (nostalgia) but this thread has finally convinced me I should cancel my pledge. They don't need my money anyway.

But why? If you're interested in the product, why not pledge? The more money they get, and the more backers they have, the better the game will be. If too many people reasoned like you, they wouldn't have reached their goal.

Naturally, you and everyone else are free to decide which projects you want to back and it's not my place to try to convince anyone what they should do with their money. I just don't get the way some people are thinking about this. "$500k for a remake, what a scam. They're probably trying to rip you off." Seriously? They're legendary old-timers of Sierra's glory days. Also, have you seen any of Paul Trowe's video updates? He looks like he's about to start crying any second. How anyone can believe this is the face of a scammer is beyond me. :P

At first, I just pledged to support the former Sierra folks. Now, I've upped my minimal pledge and am really excited to see what extra content they will add.

zane 04-28-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus (Post 609552)
"So, here's the easier one: at the $550,000 level, we will be maxing out the game responses along the lines I suggested in my video update. Tons more jokes, tons more responses for clicking on screen features, dialogue trees, inventory-on-inventory messages, and more story! We’ll load every existing nook and cranny with extra content because, as Al pointed out to us, the original was “kinda thin” on that.

Now, here's the big one: at the $650,000 level, we're doing something that will change the face of Larry forever (if only!): we're adding a new location, new puzzles, and a new girl with her own storyline! Is this the infamous female character that Al was forced to cut from the original 1987 version of Leisure Suit Larry 1? Or am I just making that up entirely to add a sense of mystery? Your guess is as good as mine!"

Is it just me? I find that whole quote so insulting. You cant put a price on having good response design. I know, more lines means more $ for voiceacting, but LSL1 was a short game. Its like theyr saying "if we dont get more than 500k, were just going to do a straight boring port of this 2 hour game with no new content, guess we shouldv told you that from the beginning!"

I despise these projects that put a $ value on things like: creating items, quests, cosmetic bonuses, basic functions.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Design & Logo Copyright ©1998 - 2017, Adventure Gamers®.
All posts by users and Adventure Gamers staff members are property of their original author and don't necessarily represent the opinion or editorial stance of Adventure Gamers.