You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Leisure Suit Larry and Al Lowe need your help on Kickstarter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM   #81

We have two ongoing major adventure kickstarters(Jane Jensen's and this) and another major one coming next month(Tex Murphy). The kickstarter craze is really not crowded when it comes to adventures. Plus we can't really tell if any other heavyweights are planning a comeback or if there will be another big project announced this year. We know the Willians aren't returning, and that is probably the same for most.

I guess if you are really not that excited about a LSL remake, why not think about the near future? These guys plan to get the rights to the series back and probably plan to do other things Sierra related. And Josho obviously has a bug about bringing about his Legend Entertainment work. I would say supporting this "really matters" if you want to bring more quality to the adventure market and if you are a fan of their work.

Even if I didn't want a LSL special edition(I do), I would support them on the grounds of what they can after this. Their team of Sierra veterans has huge potential. And if your are a fan of LSL, this is really the last ditch attempt to get the series back on track.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
Even if I didn't want a LSL special edition(I do), I would support them on the grounds of what they can after this. Their team of Sierra veterans has huge potential. And if your are a fan of LSL, this is really the last ditch attempt to get the series back on track.
This. Replay Games have reached out to Scott Murphy for a Space Quest game. They're all ex-Sierra employees who want to take off where Sierra left us. They just need a leg up - a kickstart if you will - and this Larry reboot is the answer because then they can go to investors and show they have a successful product... and believe me this will be successful.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #83

I strongly agree with the two previous posts, and hope that the people being negative about this being a remake can look past that.

I REALLY hope both Al and Jane's projects get funded.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #84

Is it me, or is this not looking good? We're at $213.5K as of 10:33 PM eastern on Saturday night. Let's see what we have in 24 hours.

Edit: Obviously they are well ahead of pace, but the vast majority of it came in the first 24-48 hours.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #85

I would say it is doing excelent. Nearly half the funds in less than week isn't bad at all.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:18 PM   #86

As long as it can raise an average of 11-12k a day we'll be fine. There's plenty more updates and PR to do. It's only the beginning. The Jane Jensen concept is doing just as well so we have a lot to look forward to!

Last edited by thejobloshow; 04-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #87

Well it's made $2.5K in the hour and 16 minutes since I wrote that.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 AM   #88
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho View Post
In sum, this means that if I wanted to do another CCS game, it would be strictly between Spider's people and those of us doing the game. Neither Take-Two nor Activision would be involved.
That's great news, no? Or am I missing something?

As for this project: it's good that the latest update explained more about WHY it's a remake. Makes me more interested in this Kickstarter than I was at first...
If a future Sierra-reboot hinges on this, then this is WAY more than "just a Larry remake".

Anyway, I'm glad to see the campaign steadily going up. They'll reach the goal without problems, imo...
Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
If a future Sierra-reboot hinges on this, then this is WAY more than "just a Larry remake".
I wouldn't look that much into the future.

First they have to raise the money on this Kickstarter, then they have to deliver the game on time, then it has to become a hit, then they have to negotiate further rights, then they have to talk other people into doing SQ7, PQ, etc etc...

If everything goes perfectly we may see a new game some year after 2013

I'm getting jittery by their language. First they talked as if they had all rights in the pocket. Later we learn they only have remake rights.

Now the tone is like they are almost ... this close ... to a new SQ, PQ, KQ, and LSL. All thats missing is your backing for this project.

I wish they wouldn't promise the moon. I hope I'm wrong about this, but it just sounds like a cheap tactic to get backing for the remake.

And if everything goes well, they will most probably come back to kickstarter for the new game, and then you'll feel like an idiot for being asked for your money twice.

Back the project if you want to see the Larry remake. Any expectation more than that is setting up for disappointment.

I really want to see this project succeed, and see a Sierra revival, but they are just not being clear and up front with their communication and that is making me stay back.

If you ask me, they should have done the remake with their own funds (or investors or whatever was the original plan).

Then once its done and delivered, come back to Kickstarter around October to do a new game. It will also give fans a break from all these simultaneous Kickstarters.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #90
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
I wouldn't look that much into the future.

First they have to raise the money on this Kickstarter, then they have to deliver the game on time, then it has to become a hit, then they have to negotiate further rights, then they have to talk other people into doing SQ7, PQ, etc etc...

If everything goes perfectly we may see a new game some year after 2013
Never understimate the power of hope. Kickstarter preys on emotion and nostalgia. They've just upped the stakes.

Quote:
If you ask me, they should have done the remake with their own funds (or investors or whatever was the original plan).

Then once its done and delivered, come back to Kickstarter around October to do a new game. It will also give fans a break from all these simultaneous Kickstarters.
I agree, but I don't think the "simultaneous Kickstarters" will stop. There's always going to be new campaigns...
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #91

I hope this one makes it, not really interested in this remake but a "re-imagination" of 2 and 3 would be awesome.

No pledges of $2500 or more, no rich people fan of Larry!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
That's great news, no? Or am I missing something?
I think it most certainly is. I don't think Josho can put the cart before the horse here and talk about his plans for after this project, but knowing that he is interested in continuing his work is great. I loved CCS and Freddy Pharkas.

They have made it clear from the start that they plan to make adventures and the LLS remake is their start at this. I think it is a good enough reason to support them. I don't get the pessimism though, looking at the team they put together I have no doubt that the new Larry will be great. It can't be not great. Why not support it if you enjoy the LSL games?
Old 04-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #93

Hey Josho, I noticed you were just online. If you are reading this thread, could you please comment on this?

Quote:
"I’ve tried that [to get access to the IP] a number of times over the years. I have several pretty developed pitches that I’d taken to them at one time or another. Sometimes it just depends who is actually sitting in the licensor chair at any given moment and I’ve never caught that right moment, when it’s the right person sitting in the chair. So I think from my most recent discussions with them... they’re going to want to see we’re established and we’ve shipped a product. So I think there’s a good chance of that happening maybe next year."
This is from Jane Jensen concerning Gabriel Knight 4. It seems like pretty much the same situation you and Al Lowe had when trying to get the license for a new Larry. Can you please elaborate on what is the rationale behind these executives being so uptight?

I don't know how to put it better, but it sounds really "bizarro world like" and "monty pythonesque" to ask that you guys prove yourselves before getting your hands on the licenses. Don't these suits know that you were the people that made these games they are sitting on in the first place? I mean, seriously.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #94

I don't really care for Leisure Suit Larry, but I pledged to support the genre.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #95
never stops believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
I don't really care for Leisure Suit Larry, but I pledged to support the genre.
That makes me happy - I did the same for Pinkerton Studios, though I've never played GK.

There's something about supporting the community even if not every idea is up your alley.

I supported LSL, too - I'm now including a Kickstarter portion of my monthly finances. I hope it makes it. It's going so sloooow!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #96
Third Guy from Andromeda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I don't know how to put it better, but it sounds really "bizarro world like" and "monty pythonesque" to ask that you guys prove yourselves before getting your hands on the licenses. Don't these suits know that you were the people that made these games they are sitting on in the first place? I mean, seriously.
Hi, Banter,

I agree; it seems very odd. But perhaps it's a little less odd if you factor in the knowledge that the adventure game genre strikes fear in to the hearts of publishers. I would venture to say that the more successful and experienced a designer is at creating adventure games, the more the publisher will be concerned that the designer's games are only going to appeal to a niche market. Remember that, as opposed to the heyday of adventure games (when sales of 100-200K were considered successes), games are now expected to sell vastly greater numbers than that, and anything that doesn't rise to that level is considered a failure.

Having said that, I think that the success of Kickstarter adventures may be what we need to demonstrate to publishers that the desire is out there, in sufficiently viable numbers to warrant more real adventure game development.

Fingers crossed, anyway.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 PM   #97
Codger

Well, we are no longer in the "heyday". Sales of an indie such as To The Moon, which may have sold in single digit thousands, is considered a success.

Sales of a "major" such as Gray Matter didn't come close to the numbers you project.

I don't have access to the data, but I would guess that the last (most recent) adventure game selling in triple digits was probable Still Life.

To me, Kickstarter is a ""fans", who want to see their favorite designer, be it Al Lowe, or whomever, put another game on the street." It doesn't seem to matter whether it's a new game or a retread.

Me, and it has been discussed here before, I'm not a fan who wants to do this for fun. I want a return on my investment. Kickstarter doesn't give that, and I will not participate.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #98

I guess the fact that the Larry franchise has been used recently in "modernizations" also factors in. It gets really bizarre when we talk about series that have been cast aside for over a decade, though(i.e: most other Sierra ips).

If I were an executive I would see value in licensing a sequel instead of letting company property rot and be forgotten. Specially if said licensing involves the original developer and has fan appeal. Usually a franchise falls into the limbo after either flopping commercially or critically. What could possibly be their concerns for licensing a sequel?

Last edited by Banter; 04-10-2012 at 01:47 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #99
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
I don't have access to the data, but I would guess that the last (most recent) adventure game selling in triple digits was probable Still Life.
HA! Ever heard of Machinarium?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Me, and it has been discussed here before, I'm not a fan who wants to do this for fun. I want a return on my investment. Kickstarter doesn't give that, and I will not participate.
Why? It is not charity, you are paying for a game. It is even better than that because you are paying for the game you want and you are having a say in that. I can't fathom a better return for your money.

Last edited by Banter; 04-10-2012 at 04:48 AM.