You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #161
Schattenjäger

oh neat, just noticed this about moebius (maybe im slow): the reflection of the girl running in the water seems to be dressed from a different time period or somthing.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #162

Kolorabi : No, if the goal is reached all 3 games will be made. If you are just interested in one of them you choose the U$ 16 option and choose the game you want. It also increases the chances of the game you are interested in being the first out. You are paying 16 bucks for a 60 panel game(same lenght as GK 1) and that is fair. Actually, more than fair because it is a Jane Jensen game.

Granted, Anglophile is really not the kind of Jane Jensen game people want(I think). I'm interested in Moebius and GM 2, on that order. Brittish soap operas are not my forte... and Jane Austen? ugh. I guess there will be a female fanbase for that though. No problem.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #163
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
Wow! It's really happening! I can hardly believe it. I am really considering dropping $50 on the Kickstarter project - it's a lot of money for me...
This.

And Gray Matter was brilliant. I worship Gabriel Knight but I really can't understand all the people who seem to dislike anything that is different than the trilogy. And just because someone doesn't like a "goth chick" it hardly means that the game would be bad .
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
She's asking 300K for 3 games. I'm not sure why exactly do you think she will become uncle Scrooge if the goal is reached. Granted, I think she will get more than that but I am sure the money will be used on the games.

We are talking about a serious and proven developer here. A household name. Not some guy in a trenchcoat that tried to sell you a farm on the moon when you passed him by on a dark alley.
What I'm saying is, she can't lose. And because she made a game that was revered back in the 90's, people are willing to give away their money. It's kind of like investing in the stock market, except if the stock goes up you don't really gain anything other than lunch with Jane Jenson. (and that's only if you contribute 10,000 dollars!)

I'm not saying she's not sincere, and I'm not trying to troll here. I also hope folks that contribute get their moneys worth. It's certainly none of my business what people do with their money. I just find it kind of odd that people are so willing to part with their cash so easily on a product that hasn't been proven thus far.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorge View Post
I dunno. This whole thing seems a bit tacky to me. So....We give her company the money to make games....The company throws the fans a bone by tossing in a few "free" games when you "contribute" a wad of hard earned cash.
No. You get to pre-buy the game. And if you really want to support them you can give them extra.

I don't see why this is so hard to grasp.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #166
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Kolorabi : No, if the goal is reached all 3 games will be made. If you are just interested in one of them you choose the U$ 16 option and choose the game you want. It also increases the chances of the game you are interested in being the first out. You are paying 16 bucks for a 60 panel game(same lenght as GK 1) and that is fair. Actually, more than fair because it is a Jane Jensen game.

Granted, Anglophile is really not the kind of Jane Jensen game people want(I think). I'm interested in Moebius and GM 2, on that order. Brittish soap operas are not my forte... and Jane Austen? ugh. I guess there will be a female fanbase for that though. No problem.
There is definitely a female fanbase . And not only female, even though Austen or Gothic romance (which Gray Matter pretty much was as a modernized version) etc. aren't as popular as for example football is among men, there still are plenty who appreciate them. Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Nostradamus are historical too.

I am having hard time choosing from the games, they all seem very interesting.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #167

mgeorge: Like I said, she is a proven developer. And she is not a one-trick pony as you seem to imply, I would say all 4 of her major adventure games are good to me. Hell, I am willing to fork my bucks for GM 2, even with the emo stuff packed in. It is nowhere near as good as GK but I enjoyed it.

I am paying for 3 new Jane Jensen's games, not for a lottery ticket. I paid for Cognition as well. I am *buying* games, not investing on a ponzi scheme. You seem to resent that kickstarter funded games have more chances of succeeding and that developer/investor risk is near zero... I would say that is a very good thing actually. It is always lamentable when a developer does a good game and goes bust because of the market. You know, just like what happened to the Gabriel knight series...
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
There is definitely a female fanbase . And not only female, even though Austen or Gothic romance (which Gray Matter pretty much was as a modernized version) etc. aren't as popular as for example football is among men, there still are plenty who appreciate them. Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot and Nostradamus are historical too.

I am having hard time choosing from the games, they all seem very interesting.
I love Gothic fiction. GK was gothic fiction... what I dislike is overly romantic, overly sentimental, female perspective Gothic Fiction, as I suspect most men do. :wink:

You see, Gray Matter was good but it nearly reached critical mass on teenage angst, sad songs and tormented and scarred male geniuses who frequently pose naked in shower scenes. The Black Mirror series were the only adventure games I enjoyed more than GM in the past decade or so and it was certainly Gothic.

"Anglophile" sounds like a full-blown girly game. If I understand correctly you play a female lead that screws around Brittish high-society... not my thing.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:27 AM   #169

Quote:
Kolorabi : No, if the goal is reached all 3 games will be made. If you are just interested in one of them you choose the U$ 16 option and choose the game you want.
That's not quite how I understand it. The 16$ option is for one of the games they release this season. If they reach $300k they'll make one of the three alternative concepts this season, plus that kids ebook thingie (obviously I don't want that). And if enough people vote for Anglophile (curse you, female fanbase!! :p ), that'll be the only real option this season.

And if there's a delay and it's pushed into the next season, what then? I don't know.

At least that's how I understand it. So on one hand I really hope the Kickstarter is successful, but on the other I'm wary of contributing myself because I don't know what I'm getting. If it is successful, I might as well just wait and see what they make, and buy it if it interests me.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #170
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
I love Gothic fiction. GK was gothic fiction... what I dislike is overly romantic, overly sentimental, female perspective Gothic Fiction, as I suspect most men do. :wink:

You see, Gray Matter was good but it nearly reached critical mass on teenage angst, sad songs and tormented and scarred male geniuses who frequently pose naked in shower scenes. The Black Mirror series were the only adventure games I enjoyed more than GM in the past decade or so and it was certainly Gothic.

"Anglophile" sounds like a full-blown girly game. If I understand correctly you play a female lead that screws around Brittish high-society... not my thing.
To me Gray Matter was more of a homage to Jane Eyre, not so much about teenage angst, but each to their own. I never was into half naked boy bands myself at least and I could snicker a bit to the overly dramatic Dr. Styles. Still I loved him like pretty much everything else in the game. Not everything has to be so serious.

You don't have to like the stuff but don't say that only females do .
Old 04-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #171

I'm 99% sure that Moebius will be the "chosen one", just by looking at feedback on these and other forums. Every GK fan will likely vote for that, and I suspect most supporters will be GK fans. GM will come second. "Anglophile" will not be the choise, rest assured. It just doesn't sound like what we have come to expect from a Jensen game.

I hope someone else clarifies your questions, though. I thought it was clear from the start that 300k was the deal for 3 games, but now I have some questions about it myself. I suppose it is worth supporting the kickstarter just for one game though, be it Moebius or GM 2.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:36 AM   #172
fov
Rattenmonster

To clarify about the funding goals and three games:

* Lola & Lucy (the ebook) is not really part if this, it just happens to be a project that Pinkerton Road developed before they announced their existence. It will not be funded with Kickstarter donations, and although CSG members can opt to get it, it's not really the focus from an adventure fan's perspective (and Jane knows that).

* If the $300k goal is met, Pinkerton Road will make one of the three concepts that have been presented (Moebius, Gray Matter 2, or the Anglophile game). It also has independent funding, so $300k is not the full budget for that game.

* If $600k is raised, Pinkerton Road will make a second of the three adventure games in the running.

Obviously, the campaign has to meet at least $300k for Pinkerton Road to get any of the money, so there is no danger of donating and not getting an adventure game out of it. Right now the studio is focused on an annual CSG cycle, so the timeframe to have these finished would be by June 2013. But any of the games in the running that don't get made in this cycle could still be made later on.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

(Full disclosure: I am helping with Pinkerton Road's PR, so that's how I know these things. )
Old 04-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #173
She Wants Revenge

I got a very weird déjÃ* vu experience from fov's post. Can I have a Jensen game about déjÃ* vu? Thanks for clarifying and I really hope this one gets some deserved attention and we will see all three games soon. At least I am one of those people who completely missed Cognition and would have donated.

And I also think Moebius is the strongest runner and the Anglophilia the weakest, but I wouldn't completely count out GM2, it is actually quite liked even though lots of people seem to want to preach how it didn't sell at all and everyone hated it. I don't have a personal favourite order myself like I already said.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #174

Thanks fov. Are the games planned to be released this year if the funding is met? Will they be developed back to back if 600k or 900k is reached? Just wondering if we are funding an immediate enterprize or games a couple years in the making. I'm sure others are wondering that as well.

Not that I have anything against taking the time to make the best game, it is just that there are variables we don't know(engine, assets, the size of the team) that could make the development cycle short or long with the planned budget.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #175

Hey, I'm a dude and I resent all these statements about "assumed female fans". I will definitely be supporting this project and voting for Anglophile Adventure to be the first game so it's not just a "girly game".

I love me some sex scandals and small town gossip. I was just talking about Pride and Prejudice last night and how much I liked how sassy Elizabeth is. Sassy victorian ladies = I'm sold.

However, the Moebius game does look intriguing, I haven't played Gray Matter and am waiting for a sale so I wouldn't vote for Gray Matter 2 to be the first game.

The only thing left to decide is if I want to support the $16 or $50 pledge!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #176

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Hope that clears up the confusion.
It helps. I have one more question: What happens if the funding goal is reached but the adventure game for some reason gets delayed and isn't released this "cycle"? Will the contributors have to settle for the ebook game or will they still get an adventure?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #177

Quote:
mgeorge: Like I said, she is a proven developer. And she is not a one-trick pony as you seem to imply,
I'm honestly not trying to imply that she is a one trick pony. She obviously has many skills in both writing and gameplay.

What I am implying though is that you're investing in 3 games you know nothing about. No one is sure if this project will even get off the ground. What if it doesn't? Do you think she'll write you a personal check for a refund? I highly doubt that, but it does remain to be seen.

Personally I'm not willing to do that on reputation alone, especially after the reception her last game got around here by many. I played the demo and wasn't very impressed myself, but that's just me.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM   #178
Replicant

Isn't it a bit optimistic to expect $300,000 by May 19th when she's gotten $17,383 to start and you'd expect the most diehard of followers to have donated early on.

I'd love to see Gray Matter 2 though!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #179

"What I am implying though is that you're investing in 3 games you know nothing about."

Why on earth would you think that? Everyone knows Gray Matter and what to expect of a sequel to that game and what we know of "Moebius" is so very GK-esque like that I guess you can go ahead and call it a "spiritual sucessor" if the prospect of GK4 seems too far away. Being fans of her work we know what to expect from her games.

I don't know, it seems the concept of "Anglophile" is so out of place it is getting some people needlessly nervous... I wouln't be nervous about it myself, it is a given that this concept will not get the majority vote.

Get real people, we will get Moebius with an outside chance of Gray Matter 2... and I don't mind paying for any of the two.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #180

I never played GK1 (only read a novel), and also never played GK2. But I played and absolutely adored GK3. To this day, I consider it the best adventure game ever made with it's intriguing mystery, atmosphere, music, and masterful dialogues.

I would actually never pledged the money to Tim Schaffer/Ron Gilbert (unless it's a new Monkey Island) - I'm not convinced in Double Fine's ability to make an beautiful graphic adventure game (their previous games used just run-of-the-mill 3D graphics) and also, they were aimed at the pre-teenage kids demographics.

Al Lowe's Larry just looks plain stupid to me. Only played the 7th game and I didn't like it too much... I guess since this is going to be a remake, the humour will be a bit outdated too.

I played two Tex Murphy games and I liked it, but it's just too much risk to pledge money thinking that someone can make an enjoyable FMV game in this day and age without being ridiculously cheesy and outdated. It worked back then, but now, it can be a disaster.

The only thing I can almost hundred percent be sure of, is Jane Jensen's ability to create intriguing mature adventures, with great visual style and dark atmosphere. You have my money Jane. I will be pledging 50 - 100$ soon.