You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #101
Schattenjaeger wannabe

And even if she never makes another GK game, 3 of her 4 major adventure games were pure masterpieces. And Gray Matter had a lot of potential, it was just rough around the edges.

If you're a true fan of her work I think she deserves more faith than this. This is great news no matter what.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
I think you're overreacting, Chicken Little.

I was really really hoping this was GK4 too, but this gives me more hope than I've had in years. If she creates these games and they do well, maybe she'll buy the rights to GK herself. Or at least make some kind of deal with the current owners of the rights to make another game and cut them in on the profits.

I've gotten the impression from interviews that I've read that she really does want to create more GK games, she just hasn't been able to. Maybe the rights are just too expensive for her at this time. But that may not always be the case.

And I think you are being too upbeat, Polyanna. This isn't really about money for buying the rights, otherwise Telltale wouldn't be doing King's Quest. Think they forked a fortune to get the license to do one game in the series? Unlikely. Think they would ask big bucks or play hard-ass about a series they have no plans for(i.e: GK)? Again, unlikely.

If the problem was money, kickstarter would have solved it. Remember, we are not talking about buying the IP... we are talking about licensing the development of a sequel. Telltale did that.

She's boarding up 3 series that will probably go on for many years, what exactly is getting your hopes up for the GK series rising from the grave?
Old 04-03-2012, 06:37 PM   #103

Quote:
If you're a true fan of her work I think she deserves more faith than this. This is great news no matter what.
I didn't say otherwise. Thing is, these great news come with bummer news: We won't be seeing GK4.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 PM   #104
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I didn't say otherwise. Thing is, these great news come with bummer news: We won't be seeing GK4.
I considered this almost an absolute certainty before today. (When I saw the teasers)

So for me the good news far outweighs the bad here.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #105
Senior Automaton

Quote:
I'm thinking maybe she's planning on going more indy. With graphics on par with Gemini Rue.

I'd be thrilled with her going that route. What I care about is gameplay and story. Graphics mean very little to me. And it's probably the same with most of fans, considering we're all die hard GK lovers.

And I'd imagine the cheaper the graphics, the faster she'd be able to turn them out.
I'd lose interest if she was going to make it compatible with every system out there and make the graphics cheap for that reason.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #106
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I just read up on the success the Tim Schafer Kickstarter project has had. (asking for $400k and getting $3.3 million!) Which brings about another possibility.

Something like this very well could happen with Jane Jensen's Kickstarter project. And if she all of a sudden had that much unexpected money coming in, you'd think she'd feel almost obligated to buy the rights to Gabriel Knight back. Cause she has to know that's what the fans really want.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:32 PM   #107
Schattenjäger

^first things first: we've gotta help this kickstarter all we can. Is it impossible somthing like that happens? No, but it wont happen through this kickstarter (future? who knows). First the task at hand
Old 04-03-2012, 09:09 PM   #108
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter
I repeat, I think this news is the last nail on GK's coffin for sure.
More details will be *officially* revealed very soon, and some of the questions that have been raised here (including whether or not Jane's interested in pursuing Gabriel Knight) are going to be addressed. So sit tight, the wait's almost over.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #109

Quote:
I just read up on the success the Tim Schafer Kickstarter project has had. (asking for $400k and getting $3.3 million!) Which brings about another possibility.

Something like this very well could happen with Jane Jensen's Kickstarter project. And if she all of a sudden had that much unexpected money coming in, you'd think she'd feel almost obligated to buy the rights to Gabriel Knight back. Cause she has to know that's what the fans really want.
I'm not so sure. I mean, Jane is a huge name with us adventure gamers but for some reason I've always had the impression that Lucasarts games simply had wider appeal. I'm making pure conjecture here, but Schafer has been more active and had more exposure with Psychonauts, Stacking, and other games in recent years. Jane was unfortunately bogged down in development hell with Gray Matter.

Don't get me wrong, I hope Jane's project is a resounding success. I think she could reach $1 million. But at the same time Cognition "only" raised $32k. Yes, the goal for Cognition was modest ($25k), and Jane is a story and design consultant on that game rather than the lead designer, but I would have imagined her name to bump that funding up even more.

All in all, I want the best for Jane and will support whatever she sees as her future.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #110
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
More details will be *officially* revealed very soon, and some of the questions that have been raised here (including whether or not Jane's interested in pursuing Gabriel Knight) are going to be addressed. So sit tight, the wait's almost over.
intrigue!
Old 04-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #111
Psychonaut

$300k is not a lot of money for a game budget these days.

THe Double Fine game was originally not to have voice work in it's game and only have a couple of staff working on it.

He also said that the budgets for his previous games were about...

DOTT budget was around $600k (1993 dollars)
grim fandango was $3 million in 1998 dollars
He also implies psychonauts budget was close to $12 million
Costume Quest/Stacking/Iron Brigade were $2 million
Full throttle was less than $1.5 million (in dollars back then)
Old 04-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #112
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
So true. And yet, im still quite nervous about whether they'll hit it. Im assuming they would also have to use some of their own funds to make this work, 300k couldnt go too far.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post

THe Double Fine game was originally not to have voice work in it's game and only have a couple of staff working on it.

He also said that the budgets for his previous games were about...

DOTT budget was around $600k (1993 dollars)
grim fandango was $3 million in 1998 dollars
He also implies psychonauts budget was close to $12 million
Costume Quest/Stacking/Iron Brigade were $2 million
Full throttle was less than $1.5 million (in dollars back then)
What about the budget of Gray Matter? You are comparing to different projects that are completely irrelevant since there are so many different variables.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 04-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #114

If Jane is really serious about a new GK, she would have at least figured out how much it will cost to secure the rights for a new sequel.
There are enough ways to find out who the owner of the rights is....it's not like it's some kind of buried secret ;-)

So she could easily add a fourth option to the fans and fairly state how much she would need to both secure the rights and to build the game.

Then it's up to us (the fans) to make sure we come up with the kind of number she needs.

If you can see what Tim Schafer achieved with only the initial promise of a small scope point & click game, then you can only dream how many and much people would pledge for a real sequel to Gabriel Knight (or even Grim Fandango or DOTT)
Old 04-04-2012, 12:03 AM   #115

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan

Anyone else glued to the screen? Counter reached zero....
Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #116

Yeah, but that counter is connected to your pc's clock, which means somewhere in the US, it's still counting down.

Countdown fail
Old 04-04-2012, 12:27 AM   #117
Senior Automaton

Something's coming...

...but you missed it.

Too bad!
Old 04-04-2012, 12:29 AM   #118

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan

Well that sucks. I guess I´ll check later this evening then
Old 04-04-2012, 12:36 AM   #119

Yeah, it's a bit unprofessional.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawa View Post
Yeah, it's a bit unprofessional.
Agreed. Not off to a good start, especially if she is going to have a kickstarter campaign and ask us to chip in...