You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2012, 07:14 PM   #861

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladroid View Post
^ I more or less agree with your take on how voice acting doesn't usually benefit adventure games, but I somewhat disagree on the time: I think modern adventure games have more meh performances than the oldies. Of course that could have something to do with the fact that back then adventure games were pretty much the only genre featuring voice acting to that extent so it all sounded kind of exciting while nowadays action/FPSs with huge budgets can afford AA actors and outshine AGs with ease (although good casting, I find, isn't always associated with money).

But beyond that, the classics from the 90s, especially the ones by LucasArts, consistently featured quality voice work. I still can't believe you didn't mention Grim Fandango in the list of games with impressive voice talent throughout; to me it remains one of its most distinctive characteristics - it really helped elevate the experience to a whole new level. I don't remember being at all that impressed with GK 1, even though I love this game as well.
I agree with you that the '90s were likely better on average for voice acting than today. In addition to game budgets, it's possible that B+ list actors in the '90s were more willing to do voice work for a day for a low fee, whereas now their voice talents are more in demand and therefore more expensive. This is just speculation of course.

It's been a while since I played Grim Fandango so I don't know. I enjoyed the game a lot when I played it, but it hasn't stuck with me all that much. I'm a Sierra guy and those are the games that tend to stick with me.

"Famous" voice talent is of course not a necessity in theory, but in practice it helps immensely.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #862
A.A

Well, I find it exceedingly difficult to play adventure games without voices nowadays. Half the reason I enjoyed the Blackwell games as much as I did was due to the voice acting, which I wouldn't say was exactly spectacular or anything; but it just adds that extra something.

I think adventure games benefit from voice over enormously.

That said, I did play and enjoy Stacking an awful lot.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 AM   #863
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.A View Post
I think adventure games benefit from voice over enormously.
Except when they're called Machinarium or Botanicula.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:55 AM   #864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Except when they're called Machinarium or Botanicula.
...benefit when the only alternative was Text. Those games don't use text for dialogue or gameplay.

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 AM   #865

Wonderful article at The Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/5/7/2999183/jane-jensen-the-return-of-Gabriel-Knight

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-07-2012, 09:32 AM   #866
fov
Rattenmonster

That is really nice article. I love how well it explains the CSG and the "family" that Jane and Robert want to build with Pinkerton Road.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #867
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
Those games don't use text for dialogue or gameplay.
That's right, you got it in one!

PS: The ancient adventure Dogday doesn't have any dialogues/text either, but I wish it had.

Last edited by Fien; 05-07-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #868

Concept art for Moebius from Andy Hoyos, legendary Sierra artist.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #869
Schattenjäger

^suuuper cool art, i love the ancient ruins juxtaposed against the modern city.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #870
fov
Rattenmonster

It's not what I was expecting, but I like it! To me it looks like the "hand-painted" style of Sierra art he worked on, but evolved.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #871
Senior *female* member

That looks good! I might up my pledge.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #872

The art looks amazing. Really excited about this project
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #873

I think that hand-painted look gives the picture lots of personality. I like the art very much, but I'm not sure about the symbol in the sky... it looks like a watermark or something, too separate from the other elements.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:00 AM   #874
A.A

I DID like that Verge article, but I'm not sure I cared for the reference to Gray Matter. ("the almost-return-to-form...").

And, yes, the artwork is awesome.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #875
Senior Automaton

I don't really like that art. But that doesn't matter, because I didn't like the Gray Matter pre-release art and ended up enjoying it a lot.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #876

I hope that they'll use hand painted backgrounds in Moebius instead that awful 3D rendered ones... I am just always angry when I look at any games' cool hand-painted concept art backgrounds and then see the awful render of it used in the actual game.... Why, oh why can't they use the concept art for the final background instead?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #877
Ace Attorney

Send a message via AIM to shezcrafti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhurgoyf View Post
I hope that they'll use hand painted backgrounds in Moebius instead that awful 3D rendered ones... I am just always angry when I look at any games' cool hand-painted concept art backgrounds and then see the awful render of it used in the actual game.... Why, oh why can't they use the concept art for the final background instead?
So you want to play a game where the background is literally a static piece of 2D concept art? Do you not know what "concept" means?

Do you want Jane Jensen to make more amazing adventure games like Gabriel Knight and Gray Matter? Then PLEASE support her new studio Pinkerton Road on KickStarter!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM   #878
She Wants Revenge

I reeaaally want us to beat 350k
Quote:
If we get to $350K: We’ll add an additional area (3 screens) and puzzle set I have in mind for Venice that would look awesome and extend gameplay.
I want my epic Venice questline!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #879

@ shezcrafti I guess your referral to the word concept is some kind of a joke, for otherwise it would be silly.

@ Lhurgoyf
I agree. Fortunately there are quite some developers – see some recent and some announced games - who realize that there are gamers who prefer “2D games”, at least games with 2D backgrounds.

There's not a big problem of course when 3D software is used to create the backgrounds, for they can come close to the concept art. I think 3D games with pre-rendered backgrounds also look better than full 3D adventure games. I only know a few real-time 3D adventure games that look better than the usual ones, but they never come close to the 2D ones (imho).

But this has been the subject of many threads. Let's hope Moebius will a great success! Warn some of you friends for the last time (so they become backer).

Last edited by mart; 05-09-2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #880
fov
Rattenmonster

More details about this weekend's playthrough:

Quote:
One of our CSG members, Laura, is hosting a 24-hour GK play marathon. She'll be playing GK1, GK2 and GK3, live, starting FRIDAY MAY 11 at 3pm EST. Here's the link:

http://www.twitch.tv/laurakat07

You'll be able to watch the playthrough and join chat. The playthrough will be raising money that will be split between this kickstarter project and the charity of our choice, ASPCA.

Robert and I will be joining in for the first hour or so and checking in periodically throughout. I hope you'll tune in to cheer on this monumental display of will power and sheer physical strength as Laura submerges herself non-stop in GK land for 24 hours, and all without food, sleep or potty breaks. OK, she will have food and potty breaks, but it's still impressive!
It also looks like GK will be the Double Fine playthrough for this week, it won the poll by a large margin!