You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #801
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulan View Post
On the contrary, Tim Curry in GK3 is the best Knight of them all and should be praised.
Fine with me, but I don't think many people will agree with you. He was great in GK1 but out of his depth in GK3.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #802

As for Dean, I'm afraid he looks more like Wolfgang Ritter than Gabriel Knight today... And I also didn't like his performance as Gabe very much.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #803
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Fine with me, but I don't think many people will agree with you. He was great in GK1 but out of his depth in GK3.
I'd say it was the other way around - GK3 was great, but in the first game the voice-overs just didn't work that well. The direction is all over the place in it. Often it's fully audible that Curry didn't understand the context of his lines. Or that consecutive lines were recorded separately. Not that surprising, given how many lines there were to record. The worst is Gabe's outro speech which doesn't even hint at the powerful emotions that Gabe must be feeling at that point.

Last edited by Ascovel; 05-04-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #804

I have to say that I found Gabe the most likeable in GK3 out of all the games. When I think of Gabriel, I hear the accent that Tim Curry did and it just feels and sounds right to me. Only my opinion, of course.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #805
Lovable rogue

Great, now I have two weeks to convince myself to up my pledge to $50, haha.

I suppose, all things considered, £31 for two games and bonus access is a pretty good deal, when ordinarily one regular game would set me back £40 by itself.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 05-04-2012, 05:35 PM   #806
Schattenjäger

Easily preferred Curry's performance in GK1. He sounded a little too cartoony in 3. As for GK2, visually dean was pretty much perfect. His personality wasnt really a perfect fit though and i thought he sounded kindv dry... but he was good enough
Old 05-04-2012, 08:46 PM   #807

$280K with 14 days to go...no way this doesn't happen. I'm still going to keep an eye on it though.

As for remakes, I think GK1 would be relatively cheap to upgrade the graphics in the manner of Monkey Island. Upgrading anything else would be both expensive and would risk tainting the experience.

Remaking or adding to the FMV or soundtrack of GK2 would be really expensive, wouldn't it? How would they even do that? I would prefer to see that money spent elsewhere.

GK3 would benefit from a graphics upgrade. It is my personal favorite AG of all time, despite that I agree with the consensus that the 3D graphics are horrendous and tremendously off-putting. The interface and gameplay mechanics are sound, though, so I would think that any halfway competent computer animator could go through and improve textures and make other tweaks that are relatively easy to accomplish without starting from scratch.

The key element is money. The graphics in GK1 and GK3 could be vastly improved for peanuts, and Jane herself wouldn't need to spend much time on it. The stories, gameplay, and soundtrack could be (and should be) left alone.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #808

Goosebumps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW78q...layer_embedded
Old 05-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #809
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I love both Interpretations of Gabriel. Love the sarcastic commentary and Line delivery of Curry. But Dean added some much needed humanity and vulnerability to the character. Couldn't do without either one.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:50 AM   #810

Remastered Monkey Islands looked "flashy", and while remastered Monkey Island 2 looked better than 1, it still wasn't like the original art which had a unique feel to it. So, if you can improve graphics resolution, but keep, or even improve the art style, then GK1 is worth it.

For a GK2, the only way to improve it is if the original video is available, and to use the non-interlaced mode.

As for GK3, it can benefit from a better 3D models but i don't think it will come to that, only early 90s games are being remastered.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 AM   #811

Quote:
Originally Posted by arseny View Post
-Did you know that GTA4 was made in Scotland, US, Serbia and more?
-Even Simon 3D & Broken Sword have ties to russia!
-Parts of the latest battlefield were made in Sweden
Not so great examples. Rockstar North are Scottish and the GTA-series have always been made in Scotland. Digital Illusions are Swedish and the Battlefield-series have always been made in Sweden. Simon 3D sucks.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #812

Send a message via AIM to valypan Send a message via MSN to valypan Send a message via Yahoo to valypan

What do you think the Mystery X game is? Anything to do with GK? I dare not hope as much, but I am excited to find out what it is! A great reason to up your pledge if you have not done so already. Great value for money
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 AM   #813
Life and times of...

I highly doubt it's anything GK related - first of all, she has said that she's in the discussions to obtain those rights (so she doesn't have them yet), and secondly it would be too good a sell point to hide at this point.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #814

It's obvious they'll reach their goal, so no need to boost the campaign now. If it wasn't GK related, Jane used to say: It's a surprise, but it's not GK related.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 AM   #815
The Quiet One

I made a contribution yesterday...

Also, where the hell is Andrea!? I've not seen any of his posts in a LONG time! What does he have to say about all of this?

And another thing: if Dean knows about this and has pledged towards this Kickstarter, what about Tim Curry!? I wonder if he knows... It would be awesome to hear his thoughts on this!
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-05-2012, 03:32 AM   #816

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
My concern is that we have this trend of upgrading and updating older games to make them more appealing to modern audiences. I think that as this practice becomes more prevalent, it sort of diminishes the value of these older games. We use the term "classic" to represent the game itself and the achievement it is given the era from which it game. When we replace the classic games with newer versions, that historical significance goes a bit unnoticed.
I think remakes keep the classic games alive by introducing them to new audience. Without remakes those old classics would be remembered only by the old players, and slowly they would be forgotten completely.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 AM   #817
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
I think remakes keep the classic games alive by introducing them to new audience. Without remakes those old classics would be remembered only by the old players, and slowly they would be forgotten completely.
That's what gog is for. The games are still very playable in my opinion.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #818
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
It's obvious they'll reach their goal, so no need to boost the campaign now. If it wasn't GK related, Jane used to say: It's a surprise, but it's not GK related.
There's always a reason to boost the campaign. Just in the last video she says that every 10 or 20k over the 300 000 makes Moebius a better game, so it's clear she won't just settle for the minimum amount. And in the beginning I highly got the feeling they were kinda hoping for 600 000.

Besides, she's been hinting about this mystery game since the beginning, and she has been far from sure about getting those GK rights, especially in the beginning.

Also, why would you expect her to say "surprise, but not GK related" when she has already said that to make GK4 she will need to prove first that they can make a quality game, and so she won't be able to make it this year?

And what else would this Gabriel Knight-related game be, aside from GK4? I highly doubt she's ruin the franchise with a spinoff, like "The Mosely Story" or "The Son of the Schattenjäger" or "The New Adventures of Grace Nakimura". Well, the only reasonable spinoffy thing could be about historical Schattenjägers but even that would be quite lame.

So I just can't see this Mystery Game X being in any way related to Gabriel. I think it's important to keep a certain rationality about this. Everything points to something different.

Last edited by UPtimist; 05-05-2012 at 06:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:39 AM   #819
A.A

It ain't Gabriel. Remake or sequel.

"Not this year, guys" I think were her words. I can't see anything happening since the time she typed these words that could have changed anything.

I'm curious to know if it's something OTHER than Grey Matter 2 though. I hope it is GM2, personally, but if it's not, what could it be? She should start putting out hints on her facebook page again like she did pre-kickstarter.

Ahh...this is too damn exciting!
Old 05-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #820
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.A View Post
It ain't Gabriel. Remake or sequel.

"Not this year, guys" I think were her words. I can't see anything happening since the time she typed these words that could have changed anything.
#1. the full quote was "Not GK4, guys, not this year. Nevertheless, I think you will all be pleased" That doesnt rule out a remake at all.
#2. According to interviews somthing has changed since those words: shes had active discussions with activision.