You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 05:19 AM   #761
Schattenjäger

^what drives me completely crazy about it is they come out and say "we've totally learned from the mistakes of using a long distance development team with gray matter" and then immediately theyv seemed to set themselves up for a similar situation.
Im putting my faith in them making this work, and we obviously dont see the whole picture. But i dont expect the game to be out in 1 year at all... unless the product really is a casual game. Signus's motto afterall is "we develop casual games" (not even kidding, right on their website)

But enough about that, the last 24 hours have been our best in over 2 weeks! We shouuuld hit 300k somewhere in the last week.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:45 AM   #762

Many modern hidden object games are not that far away from adventure games, since they have puzzles, dialog systems and inventory systems. And Jane has stated that the team has experience in that regard and an engine that can handle adventure games (my guess is that it need to be upgraded though).

Jane has also stated that the development setup is different from the Gray Matter development. I'm guessing she gave the GM team a design document and some general directions once in a while, probably due to time restrains or something similar. The Moebius setup sounds much more hands on. Anyway, personally I'm not worried
Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 AM   #763
A.A

Jensen will have final say on the production. If she's not happy with the progress, she'll be on top of it. Simple as that.

Not sure what people are worried about.

Let's just get this past 300,000 for the minute before worrying about anything else, eh?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 AM   #764

OK, I'm not worried I just know those Russians
Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 AM   #765

Arial Type, could you elaborate on how the game industry Russia is in a "bad state", and how that would influence Pinkerton Road's project? And no, no, I'm not worried either, just curious.

Also, nice to see that the plug from the LSL team had such an impact!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #766
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane
^what drives me completely crazy about it is they come out and say "we've totally learned from the mistakes of using a long distance development team with gray matter" and then immediately theyv seemed to set themselves up for a similar situation.
No - she learned her lesson from *handing off her design* to another team and not being involved in the production process. That's what happened with Gray Matter. With Moebius, she will be involved on a daily basis (as she has been for Lola & Lucy, and for all of the games she's worked on with Oberon).

Jane's been using this process for the past 8 or so years to make casual games, and many of her recent games have been developed by Signus. She clearly likes working with them and vice versa. And she obviously knows the difference between a casual game and an adventure game, and has an understanding of Signus's strengths. I think she would know better than any of us whether the team is up to the task.

Anyway! This article went up today on the German site Krawall.de: http://www.krawall.de/web/Moebius/special/id,61857/

Maybe someone who can read it can say if it's a good one.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
I just watched this video and got a little worried. It turns out Jane is outsourcing her games in Russia? Not very promising, since the Russian gaming business is in a bad state today. Even more, the developers from Signus Labs specialize on casual and flash games in social networks exclusively. How on earth are they planning to make a fully functional adventure game?
With Jane at the helm there's nothing to be worried about.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #768

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
Arial Type, could you elaborate on how the game industry Russia is in a "bad state", and how that would influence Pinkerton Road's project? And no, no, I'm not worried either, just curious.
Today many dev. houses are either closed or switching to social networks and outsourcing. It is great if Signus have guts to pull such a serious project though. I will be really proud of it. And when Warcraft Adventures will finally get freedom, I will be even more proud

Last edited by Arial Type; 05-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #769

Wow, I really need new glasses. Read your name as "Anal Type" before I moved my head closer to the monitor.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaata View Post
Wow, I really need new glasses. Read your name as "Anal Type" before I moved my head closer to the monitor.
That's an adventure game I could get behind.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #771

The world just need more puzzles!
Old 05-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
that's an adventure game i could get behind.
:d:d:d
Old 05-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
I just watched this video and got a little worried. It turns out Jane is outsourcing her games in Russia? Not very promising, since the Russian gaming business is in a bad state today. Even more, the developers from Signus Labs specialize on casual and flash games in social networks exclusively. How on earth are they planning to make a fully functional adventure game?
I have to admit I got a bit hesitant, too, when I saw this.
On the other hand she'd hardly be able to make a game with that kind of money at all, if she had to pay a western development team, which could screw up, too. Especially if she had to go with an inexperienced one.
Those guys at least have some projects under their belt and probably are eager to prove what they can do.
I also like the fact that Jane plays with open cards in this regard and doesn't try to hide them away, like other people would have done.

But still it's a risk and a completely different situation than with Double Fine, where I have an almost blind faith in the development team. Blind indeed, because at the end of the day I don't know that much about them. But they have the money, a track record, and Tim Schafer has actually been the head of a real company for quite some time now.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #774
Schattenjäger

dean erickson (who plays gabriel in GK2) just posted a youtube video in support of jane
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #775
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
dean erickson (who plays gabriel in GK2) just posted a youtube video in support of jane
Gabe!
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Anyway! This article went up today on the German site Krawall.de: http://www.krawall.de/web/Moebius/special/id,61857/

Maybe someone who can read it can say if it's a good one.
Apart from the fact that this article is in dire need of some proof reading (many missing words, some inappropriate ones...) it's a well written and cautious outlook on the whole Kickstarter affair. It specifically addresses the reasons why Jane might not be doing as well (though probably well enough) as the big hitters (Wasteland 2, DFA), but also mentions positive aspects, like the unusual high generosity of her fans. Not exactly the most enthusiastic perspective, but a fair one.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:40 AM   #777
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo
I was hoping he'd say, "Canis...LUPIS LUPIS!!!"
Lmao XD! Cool vid, glad he's making the time to support Jane.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #778

Jane Jensen uploaded a new video on her KS-page, confirming that she will be making TWO games this year. First game is Moebius, second game is Mystery Game X.

I don't think it's GK4, but I'm still excited. Hope this gives the campaign a great Last Push!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #779

I usually tend not to trust ladies with glowing red eyes, but for Jane I'll make an exception. Upped my pledge to $50 after today's video update.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #780

What's with the weird red-eyes Jane segment at the end of the video? Is it some kind of reference to one of her past games?