You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #721

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Jane has said in a couple of interviews that she's pretty confident a second game will receive outside funding. No guarantees yet, but we can keep our fingers crossed anyway.
300K is a pretty low budget for a large game like Moebius. I think she should keep the outside funding around in case the game goes over budget or to handle unexpected problems (and these will happen). While I'd love to get two games, I'd rather have one good game than two low budget ones.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #722

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddhi View Post
300K is a pretty low budget for a large game like Moebius. I think she should keep the outside funding around in case the game goes over budget or to handle unexpected problems (and these will happen). While I'd love to get two games, I'd rather have one good game than two low budget ones.
I agree. Although Jane have discussed about this and explained it (Moebius will get funding from other sources in addition to Kickstarter, the team will work for rev share etc), I still think that 2 games in a year for brand new game studio is very ambitious and optimistic goal. Jane seems to be very confident about Signus Labs, but Moebius will be their first adventure game, so there is a lot to learn. I think she should concentrate to one game this first season, and see how it goes. If everything goes well, then produce two games next season.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
She should probably put out a new video/pitch discussing Moebius in more depth. IDK I think it will make the goal regardless
I think she'll do that when the first Moebius scene art is ready (next weekend).
Old 04-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #724
A.A

At this point, I think a reddit thingymajig would be a good idea. Seemed to help the other projects somewhat.

Getting frustratingly slow, though.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:24 AM   #725
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
Jane seems to be very confident about Signus Labs, but Moebius will be their first adventure game, so there is a lot to learn.
She has worked with them on several occasions in the past and built up a pretty good rapport with them. Those two video updates she made to the page about her cooperation with Signus Labs is proof of that, imo.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:10 AM   #726

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
She has worked with them on several occasions in the past and built up a pretty good rapport with them. Those two video updates she made to the page about her cooperation with Signus Labs is proof of that, imo.
Yeah I know that, and I am not doubting that their cooperation wouldn't work. However, as the Signus Labs person says on the video, it is their first adventure game. I don't know how well they are prepared for it, but I guess adventure games are more difficult to develop than casual games Signus Labs have done with Jane in the past.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 AM   #727
Filmfreak

Quote:
Yeah I know that, and I am not doubting that their cooperation wouldn't work. However, as the Signus Labs person says on the video, it is their first adventure game. I don't know how well they are prepared for it, but I guess adventure games are more difficult to develop than casual games Signus Labs have done with Jane in the past.
My guess would be that one adventure game equals about three casual games.

I'm sure they'll handle that just fine... It's not THAT different, it's just a lot more work...
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #728

At the end of the podcast at this site: http://www.gamesradar.com/soundradar-episode-13-gabriel-knight-creator-jane-jensen-and-composer-robert-holmes/
Jane mentions that she has been in discussions with Activision about possible remakes of the Gabriel Knight games! This is the first I’ve heard of such a thing. I hope to hear more, much more, about it soon.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:44 AM   #729
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
At the end of the podcast at this site: http://www.gamesradar.com/soundradar...robert-holmes/
Jane mentions that she has been in discussions with Activision about possible remakes of the Gabriel Knight games! This is the first I’ve heard of such a thing. I hope to hear more, much more, about it soon.
Well, it seems like you didn't read the Adventure-Treff guest column from Jane Jensen that I posted here a short time ago. http://www.adventure-treff.de/artike...?id=3&lang=eng

In that guest column Jane made the following statement:
Quote:
You are doing an original adventure game this season. Will you consider doing Gabriel Knight in the future?
Yes, I hope that we will be able to do a Gabriel Knight game soon. I’ve been in talks with Activision about it. But as a new studio, we need to first show that we can develop and ship a great adventure game. So I hope you will support our first year and help us achieve that.
Favorite games: Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Tex Murphy series, The Last Express, King's Quest 6 Phantasmagoria 1 and 2, The Lost Crown, Tender Loving Care, Blade Runner, Quest for Glory 4, Overclocked, The Dig, Dreamfall...
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #730

Around 17:57, the interviewer asks, “So, can we ever hope to see a Gabriel Knight remake?”

Remake? That's the first I've heard of this, anywhere.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:48 AM   #731

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Around 17:57, the interviewer asks, “So, can we ever hope to see a Gabriel Knight remake?”

Remake? That's the first I've heard of this, anywhere.
Similar questions was asked in norwegian gamer.no Q&A session (english Q&A below norwegian article)
http://www.gamer.no/artikler/109389/gabriel-knight-vil-pavirke-moebius/

I think GK1 still holds up pretty well on Gog, but I also think remakes are not out of the question in the coming years.

If I had a chance to do them over, I think mainly I would like to bring them all to a unified style and gameplay mechanic -- something like really gorgeous 2D retina display art and a basic radial menu icon system. How fun would that be? I'm sure there are small things I would change as well, altering some puzzles or maybe adding more cinematics.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #732

Quote:
Similar questions was asked in norwegian gamer.no Q&A session (english Q&A below norwegian article)
http://www.gamer.no/artikler/109389/gabriel-knight-vil-pavirke-moebius/

I think GK1 still holds up pretty well on Gog, but I also think remakes are not out of the question in the coming years.

If I had a chance to do them over, I think mainly I would like to bring them all to a unified style and gameplay mechanic -- something like really gorgeous 2D retina display art and a basic radial menu icon system. How fun would that be? I'm sure there are small things I would change as well, altering some puzzles or maybe adding more cinematics.
Very nice! Thank you for sharing, there are some great questions and even better answers here.

Am I alone in finding the remake idea to be kind of a big deal? Just as LSL is going through a remake in order to perhaps secure the IP rights to continue to make new games, maybe GK will follow a similar path. Who knows? I know that future GK games are becoming more in the realm of possibility, but I don't believe that remaking the earlier games has been brought up much at all.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #733
fov
Rattenmonster

As much as I love GK2 in FMV, it might be... interesting to have all three games remade in the same style. I know the dated artwork is a turn-off to some new players (can't count the number of comments I've seen, just since this Kickstarter started, from people saying they keep wanting to try the games but can't bring themselves to do it because of the art).

If something like this were to happen, I'd really love to see a GK2 director's cut that included the chapters Jane had to cut due to budget constraints. (There was supposed to be a section where you played as Ludwig, that was condensed instead into a dream sequence...)
Old 04-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #734
Lovable rogue

I've only played GK1, because I love the low-res 2D style of old adventure games, but the FMV of GK2 really turned me off, and I didn't get along well with the badly dated 3D of GK3.

I'd love to see them all remade in an updated and uniform art style.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #735

I would LOVE to see all the GK-games remade in similar style, maybe even with added content. Of course, I would like to see GK4 before that, but maybe all 4 games in similar style?

The Kickstarter-campaign had quite a good day today, too!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #736
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOslo View Post
I would LOVE to see all the GK-games remade in similar style, maybe even with added content. Of course, I would like to see GK4 before that, but maybe all 4 games in similar style?
This makes me think of Sierra's remakes - they used them to promote the newest games of the series. So when they remade KQ1, it looked a lot like KQ4, and they used one to promote the other. Why not do the same for a new GK game...? (Are you listening Activision?!)
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #737
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I would much much rather have Janes time and energy going towards a new story/game than a graphics update on an old game. That is of course unless the latter were a prerequisite for the former.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #738

A GK 2 reloaded would be fantastic ;-)

Think of the old version, but with:
- additional chapter
- high res backgrounds and character models
- higher quality filmed sequences...they must have filmed it in a better quality than eventually compressed into the game
- better quality speech, music and sound effects
- and last but not least: improved werewolves....they were a bit off even by 1996 standards..Those would have to be remade from scratch then, but I guess the rest could be mostly done by using orginal recordings and artworks?

I'd happily pay 40 bucks for such a reloaded version!
Old 04-30-2012, 11:48 PM   #739

No remakes or upgrades. Let each game stand on its own to mark the era from which it came. GK1 w/o the pixel hunting of the background isn't GK1, for example.

I'm guessing Jane threw the remake idea out there to give people something to chew on. She can't get people's hopes up yet about GK4, but she wants people to know that she is talking to Activision.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #740
Headbanger

I also think that the efforts of making a remake should rather go into making a new game even better.

The only game in the trilogy that I think could use a remake is the third one. The graphics almost distracts the player from an otherwise amazing game. The other two games are of course dated from a technical point of view (regarding graphics) but they still fit the games perfectly.