You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 AM   #701
fov
Rattenmonster

SoundRadar podcast interview with Jane and Robert: http://www.gamesradar.com/soundradar...robert-holmes/

This was recorded this week and GamesRadar just posted it, I haven't listened to it yet...
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM   #702
Filmfreak

The campaign advances far too slow, it's really disheartening...
Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #703
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
The campaign advances far too slow, it's really disheartening...
Its going to get worse before it gets better... but i really do think we'll find a way to cross 300k before this ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireNaomi View Post
I kind of fear Tex Murphy will be in the same situation once his time comes.
Im really worried for tex, because i do think its a similar situation. Theyr adventure games that are loved by the community but not real known outside of it (considerably less known than jane im sure). Hopefully they have a great pitch. I also suggested this on their site and i hope they consider it: if they could give away the pandora directive as a download for a week or even just a weekend to go along with the announcement, theyd probably get alot more attention and people trying the series out. The #1 obstacle for tex is that not enough people have played the games. The people who have, generally love them (outdated interface aside). A gesture of free tex would also create general good will, and people might back without even playing because they approve of the vision and kindness of the giveaway.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #704

The allure of an FMV game I think will be the main draw for the Tex project. I think they'll be funded just fine.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 PM   #705

It is going very slowly indeed...It's definitively not a press issue and I think we all agree that Jane is doing rather well on the marketing department. I guess that the most obvious reason is that people are not that interested. We only have double fine and LSL as a mean of comparison and these two sort of make sense to get more money than Jane.
Old 04-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #706

Double Fine got big publicity and was one of the first to start the Kickstarter Adventure game trend.

Leisure Suit Larry is an established name series.

It's depressing, but ultimately if Jane could do Gabriel Knight 4 instead of Moebius or if hers had been one of the earlier Kickstarter projects, I have no doubt her Kickstarter would have far surpassed it's goal by now. However, as it stands things still look decent for reaching 300k, and as I'm confident Moebius will be excellent, that should help build things for future projects.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 AM   #707

We shouldn't underestimate just how extremely popular the Larry-games, especially the first ones, were. The original Larry is in the same league, popularity wise, as Monkey Island, King's Quest and very few others. Gabriel Knight is nowhere near that. I think Tex Murphy is a fair bit more popular than GG, but on the other hand if their goal is a lot higher (which I suspect it'll be), that might turn into even more of an uphill battle than the Jane Jensen kickstarter.

I'm hoping the Tex Murphy guys can get some help from GOG. That could be a big deal and I think it would gain GOG as well.

As for JJ, she can't afford many more days like yesterday. Unfortunately today looks even worse so far. And to be safe she should have at least 310k, in case the 10k-backer or one of the 5k backers, well, backs out.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:22 AM   #708
Lovable rogue

I went ahead and pledged; I was going to wait until nearer the end, but as momentum seems to be stalling I figured it would be more helpful to do it now.

Sometimes I wonder if she's getting less support because she's not funny. When you think of Tim Schafer or Al Lowe you think of humorous, joke-filled, games, whereas with Jane you know it's going to be a more serious affair. I love the richness and depth of her stories, but perhaps a lot of people are just looking for some comic relief with their dose of nostalgia.

It's strange how even her forums are relatively dead; there just doesn't seem to be a buzz around what she's doing.

I don't think the whole thing would be over if she didn't meet the target, as she'd just roll the publicity into getting the existing backers to sign up through her website directly, but it would be an unfortunate setback and undoubtedly delay production.

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #709

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jatsie View Post
It's strange how even her forums are relatively dead; there just doesn't seem to be a buzz around what she's doing.
I'm not sure this means anything. Take me as an example. I've been massively excited about this every single day since the campaign started. I threw in a lot more money in there than I did to Double Fine. Yet I haven't even been arsed to post in this thread yet. DF had 80,000+ backers and was already a well-known company; not that strange that their place is full of buzz.

I realise that people really want this to succeed, but really, we've had only two days where the pledged amount dipped below the required minimum. I too think it will pick up speed in the last days. Who knows, maybe they'll even be able to offer more copies of the $1,500 tier, which sold out in a day or something.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #710
Replicant

Don't know if this has been asked but does it really have to be $300,000 exactly? I mean it's on $239,333 right now, say it gets to $275,000, is the missing $25,000 going to kill it altogether? Surely they could get that over time in extra investment?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Don't know if this has been asked but does it really have to be $300,000 exactly? I mean it's on $239,333 right now, say it gets to $275,000, is the missing $25,000 going to kill it altogether?
That's how Kickstarter works. If they don't get $300,000 in pledges, they lose everything. It's a great way to protect the backers (you don't end up giving money to a project that doesn't have enough money to fulfil its promises), but it can be infuriating if the thing fails very close to its goal. Then, I don't think that happens often; if it looks like a project is just about to reach its goal, there'll be people among the current backers who'll be willing to up their pledges a bit.

In any case, there's really no reason to panic. The thing still has three weeks to go (I find that hard to believe; it feels it's already been going on for ages; far too long in any case). Also, it's the end of the month: people are poor. Things might be a bit different once they get paid. (I know the money is only taken from your account once the Kickstarter ends, but I'm sure most people don't understand that. If I ever had to do a Kickstarter, I'd make sure to have it both start and end on the first week of a month.)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-28-2012, 09:16 AM   #712
Schattenjäger

An important dinstinction however: if a project reaches the goal, but then cards are declined to the point where it goes under the goal, that is the only circumstance the project can accept less (to my understanding)
(im not going to forget that 10k backer who didnt pick a reward tier )
Old 04-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #713
never stops believin'

I think she'll make it, but it's going to be far closer than any of us would like. I'm probably going to double my pledge - the csg is simply too great a concept to fail.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #714

Yeah, it looks like it's going to come down to the die-hard fans in the last week. I'm prepared to double-up as well, and I'm betting that's what it is going to take to get this one over the line. I don't see much potential for a lot of new backers coming in late.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:31 AM   #715
She Wants Revenge

I wish I could double my pledge but honestly I can just try to squeeze in a couple more dollars. I still believe we will break 300k quite nicely but initially I was really hoping for that 600k, which isn't going to happen...
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #716
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I still believe we will break 300k quite nicely but initially I was really hoping for that 600k, which isn't going to happen...
Jane has said in a couple of interviews that she's pretty confident a second game will receive outside funding. No guarantees yet, but we can keep our fingers crossed anyway.

New podcast interview: http://justpressstart.net/?p=8828 (I'm still listening to it, but from what I've heard so far, there's a lot of Sierra reminiscing...)
Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #717
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Jane has said in a couple of interviews that she's pretty confident a second game will receive outside funding. No guarantees yet, but we can keep our fingers crossed anyway.

New podcast interview: http://justpressstart.net/?p=8828 (I'm still listening to it, but from what I've heard so far, there's a lot of Sierra reminiscing...)
Yes, I'm still hopeful about the second game, but I think it's a shame we can't double the quite low goal of 300k.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #718
never stops believin'

I don't want to sound any alarms but there's becoming an increasingly real chance of missing $300k. With 19 days to go, we need $3k/day to reach the $57K needed.

We haven't had a lot of $3 days recently.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #719
Filmfreak

Still 19 days to go, though, no need to panic yet...
Old 04-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #720
I needed a dare

She should probably put out a new video/pitch discussing Moebius in more depth. IDK I think it will make the goal regardless