You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 01:43 AM   #41
Life and times of...

I hope it doesn't come down to kickstarter. I'll have to donate, of course, but it's awkward if it'll depend on that then. I'd rather see a quality adventure with a solid premeditated () funding. Kickstarter does have major benefits, naturally, and it might be a good choice (and I'm sure she'll deliver regardless) but... I don't know, I just have a feeling that I base on absolutely nothing

You know, I should hope that, whatever this all is, if it's a new JJ game it has a decent budget and I dunno how far you can go in Kickstarter. I mean, I have no idea what a normal budget would be, and I trust JJ's name is well-known enough that she'd gather a nice amount of money, but nevertheless, I'd rather a solid budget even with the risks that a publisher brings.

But as long as we'll get a new full-length Jane Jensen game, I'm happy.

Last edited by UPtimist; 04-03-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 AM   #42
Schattenjäger

i love jane, but if this turns out to be a kickstarter for "bring GK1-3 and gray matter to iphones" I will turn on her so fast.
Its not a good idea. I wish developers would stop using this for ports and things they were going to do anyway.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
You know, I should hope that, whatever this all is, if it's a new JJ game it has a decent budget and I dunno how far you can go in Kickstarter. I mean, I have no idea what a normal budget would be, and I trust JJ's name is well-known enough that she'd gather a nice amount of money, but nevertheless, I'd rather a solid budget even with the risks that a publisher brings.
Well look at what a travesty the production of Gray Matter was. Her name didn't mean squat. I'd rather see a smaller budgeted game honestly.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 AM   #44
Life and times of...

To me Jane Jensen says quality, not just in budget but also production. A comical game from Tim Schafer can easily have simple 2D graphics because in a comical project it works, but if a JJ game is supposed to feel serious, mature, and while it's certainly possible with hand-drawn 2D graphics, it's going to take a lot more to work well than if it's not-so-serious.

Like I said, I don't know regular budget values and I don't know how much they could raise via Kickstarter. So... *shrug*
Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #45
She Wants Revenge

Less than 15 hours!

Yes, I'm kinda excited.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Less than 15 hours!
I was surprised by your post, since the counter says 1 day and 40 minutes here. And then I looked at the source of the page, and it turns out that the stupid counter counts down to April 4th, 10 AM based on your computer's local date and time instead of the server's.

There's gonna be a few disappointed people in Europe when the thing reaches 0 for them and nothing happens... I'm guessing the correct time is 10 AM in Pennsylvania, since that's where the company's supposed to be located. Which means there's still about 21 hours and 30 minutes to go.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #47
She Wants Revenge

Aaawww... well thanks for this, less disappointed this way .
Old 04-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #48

No idea who this person is or where they got their information, but a commenter named Pascal on the LSL Kickstarter said this just now:

Quote:
First Tim, now Al and Jane Jensen starts in a few days with a $300.000 goal for a new adventure (one to choose out of three, GM2 is on the list besides two new titles)...

Great for the genre!
(..but I hope it´s not too much in a short time.)
Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #49
Senior *female* member

He got it from pinkertonroad.com.

It's up to the fans. Three games to choose from: Gray Matter 2, Anglophile Adventure, and Moebius.

EDIT: Weird. I now get just the countdown thingie at pinkertonroad.com. But at http://pinkertonroad.com/games/ you can see everything.

Last edited by Fien; 04-03-2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:14 PM   #50

How terribly dissapointing....no new Gebriel Knight!
That would have really been a great success at Kickstarter.

It's kind of underwhelming to have to settle for gray matter 2 or even something else.....just the dissapointment itself could prove to be fatal for any crowdfunding campaign.

People asked for a new Gabriel Knight. Gray Matter barely sold anything.....it doesn't generate enough interest.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #51
Schattenjäger

^she doesnt own the rights to GK plain and simple. If there are fans of jane like i think they are, she'l have no problem getting 300k to make gray matter 2 (or even another).
Pinkertonroad is still a timer for me, is it really dishing out info based on a computers clock? What are the other details, what format will the voting use?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #52

Try

Www.pinkertonroad.com/news

Or

Www.pinkertonroad.com/home

How much could these rights cost? The current owner (whoever that may be) surely doesn't do anything with them.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #53
Life and times of...

The current owner, if they even know they own the rights (they were in Sierra, and that (and the companies that bought it) have been sold over and over again so that the rights are buried deeeeep), is a massive gaming corporation (I don't know which one, Activision or something). They don't care that they don't do anything with the rights. It's also going to take a pretty big offer that the sum they recieve makes a difference for them (and so that they'd care). In the meanwhile, they have a right that theoretically could make money, but at least it's not making money for someone else (which would only be acceptable if they also got a big share from that). I mean, there have been inquiries about movies a few times, but they've never done anything (Jane has said that she has passed such requests along).

And there's even the smaller theoretical chance that one day they might do something about it in the future, so they don't want to give up the theoretical chance of making money off it. But I really wouldn't be surprised if the powers-that-be about GK rights had no idea they had such rights or that they've never heard of such a thing as GK.

So, yeah, I don't find it underwhelming to settle for GM when there honestly never was a chance for GK4 in the first place... Unfortunately, but that's business for you.

300k sounds like very little, I have to say... I wonder how big a budget Gray Matter had. It'd be odd if suddenly the second part like all 2D or something...

The first game does sound interesting, but it's hard to go by with such little information. I hope they end up doing all of them.

Last edited by UPtimist; 04-03-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #54
Schattenjäger

i got to see pinkertonroad.com/games just in time. Its now down. But its true, theyr only asking for 300,000 (and they plan to make all 3 games the vote will be for which ones first)
I am so so happy this is about new games and not porting old ones.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #55

... And the site's hidden pages are gone again. Oh well, I had time to look at most of it anyway. But I guess we can wait until the big opening tomorrow to start discussing things.

Also, I see fov is the propaganda priestess PR consultant on this, so we know who to try to pry information from.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 04-03-2012, 01:40 PM   #56
Headbanger

This is incredibly good news. Although it would be really fun to see new stories about Gabriel and Grace, the fact that Jensen is going to keep making games is more then great.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 PM   #57
Senior *female* member

The idea of letting gamers decide what the next game is going to be, is bound to appeal to many people, but I'm afraid I really don't want a CSG subscription model. I'm not going to support Jane's Kickstarter project, she will raise her 300,000, no problem. And if wizarbox is involved in the development in any way, I won't buy the game.

Last edited by Fien; 04-03-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #58
Schattenjäger

Hmmm, im not familiar with this CSG stuff, it does sound odd. Are there other game companies that already use this method?
EDIT: upon reading the press release carefully... i guess it just means you get whatever games they make in the year subscription?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #59

I'm getting less enthusiastic by the minute.
First no Gabriel Knight, despite the nasty teaser behind the link. Why use a Gabriel Knight video if there is no intention of actually making the game. It's not as if we haven't been dissapointed before?!? This most likely is just to create a shock effect and toying with our feelings :-)

Secondly, 300k...not a very ambitious goal....if you think that Gray Matters animation was unimpresssive, wait until we get to see this...
At least Tim Schafer did not know what he could expect with such a camaign, but now in hindsight they could at east raise the bar a bit....

And lastly, indeed, let stay clear of Wizarbox!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #60
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbi View Post

And lastly, indeed, let stay clear of Wizarbox!
they make it clear on the press release that pinkerton road is an independent studio that will have no publisher. And they are modelling themselves after independent farms.
Also, you cant blame them for having a modest goal, that is ridiculous.

Last edited by zane; 04-03-2012 at 02:01 PM.