You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #541

I voted for GM2. I think the location sounds very interesting and fun to explore, and I'd like to see a continuation of the GM-story. Seems suitably dark too.

Moebius seems okay. The main character seems a bit boring though. Too perfect. Not really seeing the similarities with Gabriel Knight, but then I don't know that much about the actual game so I guess I'll have to trust Jane Jensen. Especially since it looks like this is the winner.

Anglophile... bleh. I can see how it would appeal to a certain audience, but honestly I think I'd lower my pledge if that one won. Because while I'd like to support JJ, it's not something I'm remotely interested in "pre-ordering".
Old 04-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalC2 View Post
Not necessarily - that's a misconception I see going around. The only way all three would be made eventually is if this entire thing (studio, company etc..) works for Jane, and for it work we need her to raise at least 300k, and that's for just one game! Jane said she *might* ('might' means it's possible, but in no way guaranteed) do the game anyway even if she doesn't reach the goal, but not reaching the 300k goal would be a serious blow to the whole initiative, greatly jeopardizing the chances of seeing even two games, much less all three! Not to speak of the future of her company/studio.

Why is it so hard for people to get this? Even worse, I see the misconception spreading that all three games will be made if we get to 300k. Yeah, right.
Because I seriously doubt that she'll fail. The Larry guys need to raise the same amount of money in much less time than Jane - she'll be fine. I understand what you're saying though.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #543
Schattenjäger

yay!!! the skipped question weirdness got fixed finally.

I voted for GM2. Before this kickstarter craze, i had given up all hope on seeing a sequel. And while GM was not a perfect game, i loved the atmosphere and music and would definitely like to see if the plot gets better with a new game. Judging from responses all over the net, it wasnt surprising that moebius took the lead.... but this much of a lead!!!! Im surprised. Im sure it will be a fun game.
I hope they communicate more of whats on the backer pdf to the public on monday. Not only were those descriptions much better than the KS ones, but they made it exactly clear what casual mode vs non-casual meant.

EDIT: also, i still think 300k is not going to be a "shoe-in". But, i do think that theyve come so far with pinkerton road that they will get the extra funding if needed to get 1 game made for this "cycle".

Last edited by zane; 04-14-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #544

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
EDIT: also, i still think 300k is not going to be a "shoe-in". But, i do think that theyve come so far with pinkerton road that they will get the extra funding if needed to get 1 game made for this "cycle".
I agree, but things are looking at lot better today than they did on Monday.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #545
Schattenjäger

^yep it was looking like this week was going to be alot worse, but then we stabilized. So im almost feeling optimistic... except today is looking like it may be the worst day yet
Old 04-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #546

Yeah, I also wish the campaign would speed up, but it will probably get a boost come monday and a new press release about the chosen game. Also, we have 34 more days to go. We'll get to 300 000. And then the game will be a success and Jane will release lots and lots of games!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #547

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
^yep it was looking like this week was going to be alot worse, but then we stabilized. So im almost feeling optimistic... except today is looking like it may be the worst day yet
Which is no wonder, because the poll is going on. Why would you pledge now instead of waiting? (Well, except if you want to vote yourself, of course...)
Old 04-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #548
Schattenjäger

^anyone whos paying so much attention as to be waiting would already know its going to be moebius

Where we ought to get a boost is if the announcement on monday also gives good concept art and a description that convinces more backers to sign on.

EDIT: this is probably asking too much...but.... what i really wish we had for monday is a little teaser clip for the winner.. somthing simple like some artwork set to some music....

Last edited by zane; 04-14-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 PM   #549
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolorabi View Post
Moebius seems okay. The main character seems a bit boring though.
I was a bit surprised about that, actually. Considering Jane's talent for creating characters who feel realistic, why make (or at least describe him in the concept as) a super cool, deadly good-looking, highly intelligent, all-around talented, not-at-all flawed type of guy? I'm sure it'll be better in the game, but I was hoping for a character with a bit more character

Not that I'm complaining, I have faith in Jane's quality as a writer
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #550

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Considering Jane's talent for creating characters who feel realistic, why make (or at least describe him in the concept as) a super cool, deadly good-looking, highly intelligent, all-around talented, not-at-all flawed type of guy?
Exactly. I went into the poll expecting that Moebius would steal my vote, but the way the guy was presented as basically the "dream guy" put me off a bit. I hope he'll pick up some (non-cliché) flaws along the way. Gabriel Knight was a flawed character after all, and that's part of what made him so interesting.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #551

I don't get the political/tactical voting going on here. Shouldn't we pick what we want? In the end it might turn out that many of the people who picked Moebius because it's the "popular choice" prefer another concept. If Moebius is truly so popular, then we don't have to vote politically. The truly most popular concept will rise to the top. Anyway, I picked Gray Matter 2. I'm just playing the first one and I rather like it (despite the countless corners cut...).
Moebius seems to lead rather significantly, though. I won't complain, it sounds very good, too!
Old 04-15-2012, 01:42 AM   #552
She Wants Revenge

You had to put them in order and not vote "best idea ever" for every game (which is what I wanted to do ) so actually my order was:
1. Anglophile Adventure (Finally something new and I am currently reading Austen's Emma and loving it. Evangeline seems very much like her.)
2. Gray Matter 2 (The first GM was the best game in few years and the atmosphere and characters were great, really want to see the continuation)
3. Moebius (Seems like very interesting supernatural detective thing with a hot protagonist.)

I voted for GM2 over Anglophile though because I don't want to wait for the sequel. Moebius I can wait a bit for since I already have 3 Gabriel Knights.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:50 AM   #553

I think it wasn't very wise for Jane to compare Moebius to GK. If and when Moebius will come out people will probably bash it for not being GK.

GK was so damn good that put an eternal curse to Jane. Christopher Lee struggled throughout his career to be known for something more than Dracula, Jane will probably struggle to be known for something more than GK. It is unfair but then again, GK is GK and it's the time where adventures reached their peak. People almost have the right to be sentimental and not logically thinking around this issue.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:41 AM   #554

Quote:
I was a bit surprised about that, actually. Considering Jane's talent for creating characters who feel realistic, why make (or at least describe him in the concept as) a super cool, deadly good-looking, highly intelligent, all-around talented, not-at-all flawed type of guy? I'm sure it'll be better in the game, but I was hoping for a character with a bit more character
Yeah, I thought so too. To the other poster above that hasn't played GK: Gabriel was an uneducated bumbling loser and an adept womanizer at the first game and remains that way for the sequels in most ways, even after becoming rich and acquiring a title of nobility. Sure, he was a handsome and charismatic guy, but he would often get in trouble for being somewhat of a foolish dick. He certainly had many character flaws and that really added to the character and made him so likeable.

I trust Jane's writing skills, but I hope the idealization of characters won't become a trend from now on in her works. Dr. Styles, for instance, was pretty much like that. Save for his emotional and physical scars, he is an extremely idealized übermensch(rich, genius, good looking even with a half-mask, uncorruptible and good-hearted, devoted to his wife even beyond death). I miss the flawed and down to earth characters of Gabe, Grace, Mosely and others.

Malachi would probably be better as an ordinary antiquary that gets thrown headfirst into a situation bigger than himself. The James Bond like persona seems boring. But anyway, we won't know until the game is out and we all know Jane is a master at characterization .Optimism is our friend.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:44 AM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by azadragon View Post
I think it wasn't very wise for Jane to compare Moebius to GK. If and when Moebius will come out people will probably bash it for not being GK.
I think she compared the two in terms of genre, as both are metaphysical/supernatural thrillers. Nothing wrong with that. People expect GK quality and style on a different package.

After Jane made it clear that GK4 will come later if everything works out, people will put those expectations in that possibility.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banter View Post
I trust Jane's writing skills, but I hope the idealization of characters won't become a trend from now on in her works. Dr. Styles, for instance, was pretty much like that. Save for his emotional and physical scars, he is an extremely idealized übermensch(rich, genius, good looking even with a half-mask, uncorruptible and good-hearted, devoted to his wife even beyond death). I miss the flawed and down to earth characters of Gabe, Grace, Mosely and others.
Uh...he was also a reclusive creep who obsessed over his dead wife and had become ostracized from the department where he worked at Oxford. And his personality (at least towards Sam) could best be described as "brusque." So flawless is not exactly how I would describe him.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #557
Schattenjäger

about the moebius main character: seriously lets not expect jane to immediately reveal every aspect of his personality and potential flaws. Im very glad hes not a struggling author/bookstore owner in new orleans. Hes somthing different, and his flaws will probably be different too.

Bad news: Yesterday was our worst day and first time going under 100 backers.
Good news: we could hang around 80 backers a day and still squeak in at 300k possibly.... Hopefully monday puts us up above 100 solidly and it carries for some days.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #558
Life and times of...

I'd guess the under 100 was because most started waiting for the results. At this rate things should be fine, and I'm sure things'll pick up tomorrow, or whenever the results come in.

The trend chart still "predicts" well over 600k, though I'm sure it's not the best indicator to go by... I'd be quite surprised if we didn't reach at least 400k.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #559
Schattenjäger

Quote:
The trend chart still "predicts" well over 600k
kicktraq? I wouldnt call that a "trend chart"... more of a "we took the current $ per day and multiplied it by the days left"
Also notice that just a couple days ago kicktraq had this project at around 780k.
100% unreliable.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #560
Life and times of...

Well, it shows the current trend

But yeah, I know it's just that. That's why I used the "" and said that it's not a very good indicator... Still, it shows the trend so far, and I don't see why it wouldn't somewhat be followed (I'm talking about the chart, of course, not the "prediction". I was making my own assumptions of 400k from that chart)