Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30815-new-jane-jensen-game-kickstarter-campaign.html)

zane 04-08-2012 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lobotomy42 (Post 606928)

Also: do you really think that many people are truly set on a certain pitch? My impression is that most people are responding to the Jane Jensen and Gabriel Knight name brand. The pitches aren't even fleshed out at this point, so it's a bit early for someone to be disappointed that their favorite one got "canceled!"

Im not saying itl be a big amount, but it could be enough to be annoying. People can back out for whatever reason they want. Some people back out because they dont understand how kickstarter works, and they think their money gets wasted if the KS doesnt reach its goal (yes, iv seen a BUNCH of people spread this misinformation on other forums, it is alarming). And then theres this to think about: kickstarters seem to have around 5-10% of their amount disappear from people who put in bad credit card info. On the DFA forum they reported that $200k+ dollars vanished from people whose cards didnt clear, and they never fixed it.

flamedrake 04-08-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banter (Post 606914)
I don't get the suits, these people CREATED these series in the first place... why ask them to prove they can ship a product if you are sitting on their work to begin with?

It's not that they don't think Lowe can make a game; that would be silly. It's whether they can make a game that would sell enough copies to be worth the investment. If they published a proper LSL game themselves, it probably wouldn't, because they have no interest in giving it any marketing.

I'm just glad to see Box Office Bust might not have irreversibly damaged the franchise after all. What a disaster of a game.

Jensen's in a similar situation, since Gray Matter sales were pretty bad (because the marketing budget was in the double digits and, at least in the US, it was in stores for maybe a week and shoved onto one digital distribution service and forgotten about).

Banter 04-08-2012 03:33 PM

Gray Matter flopped? Oh, I actually though it did well in the european market. I mean, DTP is an european publisher after all, right? I wasn't surprised that they screwed up distribution in north america.

aimless 04-08-2012 03:45 PM

So, the flop can't have anything to do with the game itself?

Just asking.

Banter 04-08-2012 03:56 PM

I don't think it was that. Anyone would be hard pressed to point more than 4 or 5 better adventure games made in the last decade or so, and even that would depend on opinion.

Sure, after a decade the expectations on a new Jane Jensen were stellar and some people were set to be disappointed with anything outside of GK level of quality... but these disappointed people still bought the game. Disconsidering filthy pirates off course.

aimless 04-08-2012 04:55 PM

"Anyone would be hard pressed to point more than 4 or 5 better adventure games made in the last decade or so, and even that would depend on opinion."

Which, pardon me for pointing it out, is an opinion.

"Sure, after a decade the expectations on a new Jane Jensen were stellar and some people were set to be disappointed with anything outside of GK level of quality... but these disappointed people still bought the game."

Well, no. Not all of them.

flamedrake 04-08-2012 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 606953)
So, the flop can't have anything to do with the game itself?

Just asking.

Given that nobody I know had ever heard about it except from me, and they're almost all huge gamers, I would absolutely blame the lack of marketing. This isn't a game that failed on its own merits, it didn't sell (at least in NA) because nobody knew about it and weren't able to form their own opinions on it. More people have heard about this Kickstarter than had any idea GM existed on its release date.

And on a side note, it's not perfect but I think people painting it as this unspeakable disaster are laying it on a bit thick.

Yachmenev 04-08-2012 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamedrake (Post 606964)
And on a side note, it's not perfect but I think people painting it as this unspeakable disaster are laying it on a bit thick.

I wouldn´t take anyone who does that seriously.

aimless 04-09-2012 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamedrake (Post 606964)
Given that nobody I know had ever heard about it except from me, and they're almost all huge gamers...

Evidently they're not huge Adventure gamers. Info on Grey Matter was all over the adventure game forums.

Quote:

A game can fail to sell without being the worst thing that ever came down the pike.

There is a tendency among most adventure gamers to forgive Jane Jensen almost anything based on the GK series and the quality of those, IMO, was uneven, the first being the best in my opinion. They forgave her taking forever to finish Grey Matter but perhaps they didn't like the format or perhaps they weren't interested in a new story but were hoping (rather foolishly) that it would be a continuation of GK. I seriously doubt anyone paints GM as an "unspeakable disaster". It may simply not have appealed to them.

michael1123 04-09-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 607016)
There is a tendency among most adventure gamers to forgive Jane Jensen almost anything based on the GK series and the quality of those, IMO, was uneven, the first being the best in my opinion.

I honestly believe that all 3 GK games are the best 3 adventure games I've ever played. I wouldn't be near as big of an adventure game fan if it wasn't for Jane Jensen. But that's just me.

zane 04-09-2012 09:45 AM

day 5 continued the slide to 130 backers gained.
However its looking like the decline is going to keep slowing and we'l probably get around 130 today too. (or at least not lower than 100 yet)

Phod 04-09-2012 09:59 AM

I think there should be a nice spike when they finalize which game will be worked on first, cause hopefully that will generate another round of press releases and such.

zane 04-09-2012 10:07 AM

^we'l see some sortv boost im sure... but we already know the announcement is going to be "x wins but we're working on y too even with 300k!!!" (x and y being some combination of moebius and GM2 :P)

michael1123 04-09-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 607038)
^we'l see some sortv boost im sure... but we already know the announcement is going to be "x wins but we're working on y too even with 300k!!!" (x and y being some combination of moebius and GM2 :P)

Spoilers! :P

That would be a nice announcement to get an added boost later on, if they're struggling to reach the 300k mark. Could lead to a lot of the $16 people upping their pledge to $50 too.

grayscavenger 04-09-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael1123 (Post 607022)
I honestly believe that all 3 GK games are the best 3 adventure games I've ever played. I wouldn't be near as big of an adventure game fan if it wasn't for Jane Jensen. But that's just me.

Well it isn't just you. I think all 3 GK games are the best 3 adventure games as well!

I hope this kickstarter does well. I love all games by Jane Jensen. Even Gray Matter was one of my favorites.

michael1123 04-09-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayscavenger (Post 607054)
Well it isn't just you. I think all 3 GK games are the best 3 adventure games as well!

I hope this kickstarter does well. I love all games by Jane Jensen. Even Gray Matter was one of my favorites.

*high fives my new friend that has good taste* :D

michael1123 04-09-2012 01:20 PM

So what's the final verdict on the community playthrough idea? I'd love to do it with any of the GKs or Gray Matter.

Never been involved with a playthrough. I tried reading along with the one for GK1 while replaying it, but it wasn't the same as being able to share your thoughts on everything.

inm8#2 04-09-2012 05:59 PM

Just got a $5000 supporter.

$117k now.

Banter 04-10-2012 01:41 AM

Gray Matter was a really good game. I guess what mostly hucked people was the fact that Sam and Dr. Styles compare very unfavorably to Gabe and Grace. They just don't have the same charisma. That and the fact that people had unrealistic expectations about it... 13 years without a Jane Jensen adventure hurts. Plus all the development setbacks it had.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grayscavenger (Post 607054)

2 and 3 are personal favorites, but I would make a case for GK1 being the best adventure game ever. That game was incredible on all levels. There is nothing else as original and well written in the adventure genre.

teme 04-10-2012 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banter (Post 607107)
Gray Matter was a really good game. I guess what mostly hucked people was the fact that Sam and Dr. Styles compare very unfavorably to Gabe and Grace. They just don't have the same charisma. That and the fact that people had unrealistic expectations about it... 13 years without a Jane Jensen adventure hurts. Plus all the development setbacks it had.

2 and 3 are personal favorites, but I would make a case for GK1 being the best adventure game ever. That game was incredible on all levels. There is nothing else as original and well written in the adventure genre.

You're right about the characters - they didn't have the magic that Gabe & Grace had. GK games also had very popular themes - historical mysteries, werewolves, voodoo etc. For me one of the biggest drawbacks in GM was that neurobiology just wasn't that interesting as a theme, and even the well written story couldn't change that.

GK2 is my favorite game ever, but I think the whole trilogy is a masterpiece in adventure gaming.