You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 09:06 PM   #361
Schattenjaeger wannabe

I agree with all of the above too. Quite simply, the Gabriel Knight series is the finest example of storytelling that I've ever seen in a game. It would rank among my favorite movies, and I'm somewhat of a film buff, so I don't say that lightly.

And the games are good enough that I replay them every few years. Not many other adventure games have that kind of replay value.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #362
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Oh yes, it is. Ever heard of spamming?
Starting a new community playthrough of games that have already had a community playthrough, with the sole purpose of promoting a kickstarter campaign, is crossing a line.
Whose line? If you don't like it don't read the thread.

If there's a bunch of people that think it would be fun who are you to say that they shouldn't do it?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #363
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123 View Post
Who's line? If you don't like it don't read the thread.
It's not for me to say what AG's "line" is. Read the FAQ, etc. But I'm sure everybody will agree that the don't-read-the-thread argument does have its limits.

Quote:
If there's a bunch of people that think it would be fun who are you to say that they shouldn't do it?
It's about money. That thread would have an agenda beyond just having fun playing a game together.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #364
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
It's about money. That thread would have an agenda beyond just having fun playing a game together.
Honestly I doubt people would really expect it to raise much money. I think right now a lot of people here are just excited that Jane Jensen is back to wanting to make adventure games, and they'd enjoy replaying one of her old games and sharing in the excitement with each other.

I think it would be fun.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #365
Schattenjäger

easy solution: if you want to do such a thing leave no question about what its for. Call it the "fundraising playthrough" thread. Or use a real time chat. Just use a different format from what the non-fundraising playthroughs use.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #366
Life and times of...

But if there hasn't been a Gray Matter playthrough, and people choose that, isn't this discussion then moot? Because it's not a replay of an old playthrough...

Anyway, I rarely have time to take part in them anyways, so I'm staying out of this

About 30% of the funding now with over 1100 backers. I'd guess that Al Lowe's and Tim Schafer's mentions of this might've had a bit of an impact (not huge, but a bit anyway)?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #367
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
About 30% of the funding now with over 1100 backers. I'd guess that Al Lowe's and Tim Schafer's mentions of this might've had a bit of an impact (not huge, but a bit anyway)?
It stopped this from being a totally horrible day (added 60-ish backers in the first hour after tims tweet).
Old 04-07-2012, 12:06 AM   #368
Schattenjaeger wannabe

You guys think it will get to 600k? I really don't have much doubt that it'll reach 300k, but two games in one cycle would be awesome.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #369
Life and times of...

It's really hard to say at this point. If the donating goes on somewhat on the same level, then it shouldn't be an issue. But right now we're still seeing the initial phase where most of those who were "certain" backers are backing this and so you can't really see any true trends. I think we can really only see in a week or more (depends a lot on how the news spread around the major gaming sites) how the donations are still coming in.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:48 AM   #370

Someone who is contact with Jane should suggest to her that she gets in touch with Rock, Paper, Shotgun about an interview. That´s a site where the project really needs exposure.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM   #371

Both Tim and Al played a real gentlemen - here's Al mentioning JJ's campaign near the end of the video

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:03 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
It's really hard to say at this point. If the donating goes on somewhat on the same level, then it shouldn't be an issue.
The pattern with Kickstarters is usually a huge burst of money at the beginning, during the initial wave of enthusiasm, then the contribution rate drops off as the game leaves the news cycle and continues at a trickle up until the last few days which usually contain a smaller burst of people trying to push it over the line.

We seem to be in the midst of the dropoff now. It is unlikely that donating will continue on at the same level. So we need to keep adding new backers!
Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 AM   #373
Schattenjäger

backer gains:
first 24 hours: 520-ish
2nd 24 hours: 350-ish
3rd 24 hours: 350-ish

(2nd 24 hours feels like more because there was a 10k backer. And we have Schafer to thank for not dropping on day 3.)
edit: In fact, half the money on day 2 came from 2 people, 10k and 5 k. perfect example why looking at $ gains isnt very helpful.* So in a sense, day 3 was sliiiightly better than day 2.
Also funny to think of it as: 1 tim schafer tweet was worth around the same as the bump from the whole press release

*Aaalso, i dont want to sound like im saying the big donators arent important. Theyr very very very important. Its just not useful for predicting if we're going in the right direction

Last edited by zane; 04-07-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #374
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
The pattern with Kickstarters is usually a huge burst of money at the beginning, during the initial wave of enthusiasm, then the contribution rate drops off as the game leaves the news cycle and continues at a trickle up until the last few days which usually contain a smaller burst of people trying to push it over the line.

We seem to be in the midst of the dropoff now. It is unlikely that donating will continue on at the same level. So we need to keep adding new backers!
Yeah, that's what I meant about having to wait and see. Also, the press coverage is also very important in keeping the backers coming. If we still keep getting the press to run news about this, the income will be much more steady than if this doesn't get any more coverage.

So yeah, go ahead and contact the press
Old 04-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #375

Someone with a Twitter account should post the kickstarter link to Markus Persson/Notch (the Minecraft creator). He has a huge amount of followers, and the Takedown kickstarter had a huge boost after he tweeted/re-tweeted about it, if I remember correctly.

http://twitter.com/#!/notch
Old 04-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #376
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachmenev View Post
Someone who is contact with Jane should suggest to her that she gets in touch with Rock, Paper, Shotgun about an interview. That´s a site where the project really needs exposure.
We have been. And agreed, it would be a great site to get additional exposure from. (They did post a link to the campaign the day it went up, at least.)
Old 04-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
We have been. And agreed, it would be a great site to get additional exposure from. (They did post a link to the campaign the day it went up, at least.)
So they just choosed not to write anything, or is something coming later? If the first, then it´s bitching time for us fans, until they cave.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #378
fov
Rattenmonster

On the PR side, we have reached out to a lot of sites personally (including RPS) - some have coverage in the works, some we're still talking to, and some we haven't heard back from yet (but that doesn't mean we won't). I look at this as an ongoing process - and since the campaign has 40+ days to go, it's really okay with me if coverage rolls out over time.

Of course, you guys can send tips to any sites you want (and it's awesome that people want to do that!). But please don't go "bitching" at anyone. Sometimes sites choose not to cover certain things for certain reasons, and coming across like you're making demands won't necessarily end well.

Just my $0.02, as someone who as worked on both sides of the fence.

EDIT: There have been a bunch more great articles since I posted that list on Thursday. I can post more links later if people are interested.

EDIT2: Oh, and people are welcome to PM me if you want to talk more about this. I'd rather not derail this thread with PR specifics.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #379
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

I'd be interested in the links to the new articles! Post em when you get time.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:33 AM   #380
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Keep the testimonials coming guys if you have them. You don't have to spend as much time as I did putting one together. I'm just interested in hearing why you're supporting the campaign.