You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 AM   #301

The problem is two-fold, plain and simple:

Firstly:
Most people will pledge for the lowest level teer (16 bucks). It's completely unclear what you can expect with this level. What we know is that you'll get one game from this season. But you don't know which one, because we don't know how many games can/will be made.....at least that is the impression you get from the proposition. So maybe I'm interested in Moebius, but if the pledge level remains to an extend only one game can be made, I might end up with GM 2 (if it gets more votes). So I'm effectively paying for a game I don't want.
She has to make clear if you can save up your "pledge amount" and use it when the game get's released that you actually want, even beyond one season. Then I think more people will get interested.

Secondly, unfortunately a no-brainer:
If she would have branded the whole thing much more closely with gabriel Knight, than it would have gotten a lot more attention, as already mentioned earlier. Larry Laffer and King's Quest might be "bigger" names, but Gabriel Knight is the most "solid" name from the Sierra catalogue, meaning that each person who has fond memories from those games will most lilkely jump on the KS train.
I can't help thinking that if she would have proposed a certain amount to secure the rights of Gabriel Knight for a sequel (even if she needs 2 million or so), we would already be at 1 million by now......
Old 04-06-2012, 12:50 AM   #302

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbi View Post
The problem is two-fold, plain and simple:

Secondly, unfortunately a no-brainer:

I can't help thinking that if she would have proposed a certain amount to secure the rights of Gabriel Knight for a sequel (even if she needs 2 million or so), we would already be at 1 million by now......
For that, she would have had to have a guarantee that she would be able to get the rights, and that it´s by no means a simple task.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:27 AM   #303

Hello to all!

I Am new to this forum. Just wanted to drop by and let anyone who might have missed this, know that there is a wonderful new option on the kick-starter for pledge of 200$

Could not resist that one

Crossing fingers and hoping with all my heart that this one will succeed
Old 04-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #304

Of all the Kickstarter projects, this interests me the most. Even more than Double Fine game, which is also very interesting, but for personal taste this sounds even better.

Moebius is my favorite concept, but to be honest i think all would be very interesting.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #305

So what is the status report? We're at our third Kickstarter day. Altough the pledges are not going lightning fast, I'm happy to say that they're VERY steady. Every day, approximately 325 new backers put another 25k into the pot. If this steady tempo continues, the project will be funded in two weeks. I don't think it will reach 600k (it's pity that there will be no two games in one year from JJ), but I now firmly believe that 300k will be no problem to reach in the remaining 42 days.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 AM   #306
Filmfreak

@ Terabin: that's beautifully spoken!!! And I haven't even played any of the Gabriel Knight games yet...

Emphasis on the "yet" - I do plan on playing them!
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #307
Schattenjäger

first 24 hours: 520ish backers
2nd 24 hours 350ish backers

we'l see if we get steady
Old 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #308
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports
I wish there was a "Raleigh Holmes' phone number" tier.

That's a joke!
Is it? Raleigh's attractive. You could dangle the prospect of obtaining her phone number to all those Al Lowe / Larry backers and get them all to come over to the Jensen-kickstarter...

Yes, I'm aware that sentence said "get them all to come". Pun intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subby
She has to make clear if you can save up your "pledge amount" and use it when the game get's released that you actually want, even beyond one season. Then I think more people will get interested.
^ This.
Clears up confusion, gives you the game you want (if you only want one).
Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #309

If you haven't done so, please vote this thread up on reddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/commen...announces_new/

Reddit has a large gaming community, we might be able to reach some more people that way.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #310
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

You definitely should!

No other testimonials out there?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #311

I´m still at loss as to why other developers can´t help this project on twitter. Doesn´t Jane have any friends in the industry at all?
Old 04-06-2012, 09:04 AM   #312
Schattenjäger

Heres a thought iv been playing with since this launched..... what if we could get somebody known (a popular blogger?) to do a livestream play-a-thon of one of janes games? It could have some kindv light-hearted encouragement to donate, either the stream would be given to backers... or maybe people could pledge to donate based on milestones reached in the playthrough without any breaks
Old 04-06-2012, 09:24 AM   #313
never stops believin'

It seems to have picked up a bit while I slept and today.

I was thinking maybe my whole "no such thing as Kickstarter fatigue" isn't true - well, more accurately, I think that we may have reached Kickstarter Adventure Game Fatigue. Thinking that TIm tapped into a vein of consumer frustrated by the lack of old school games and now the supply has VERY QUICKLY begun to outstrip what was, at one time, a very frustrated demand.

It really goes up while I sleep, which means:

1) Like the kid in Lathe of Heaven, I change the world while dreaming.

2) A ton of support is coming from the last bastion of adventure gaming: Europe.

But I'm F5ing it now, and it seems to keep jumping up. Unlike last night, where I sat transfixed for hours without it moving.

As an aside, the $100 tier is awesome. I'm truly at my KS budget limit, though - and can't without living in a cardboard box. I'll see what i can do in 42 days.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:38 AM   #314
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I think that we may have reached Kickstarter Adventure Game Fatigue.
one major adventure game is funded and we've reached "adventure fatigue" ?
nooo, im afraid we may have to face the music that tim schafer is a special case. Hes one of the most loved names in all of videogames. And his reach goes well beyond the adventure genre, to the point where people who'd never played a point-and-click were donating just to see what would happen. Id say we're not seeing any fatigue, rather we're seeing what makes people "jump" to set off the dominoes, and what doesnt.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #315

I just upped my pledge now. Finally covered some concerns I had. Good luck with this project! So looking forward to this!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yachmenev View Post
I´m still at loss as to why other developers can´t help this project on twitter. Doesn´t Jane have any friends in the industry at all?
Most of her Sierra colleagues are now retired from the public eye. The LucasArts guys - Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman - are still active but I doubt that they ever really knew her. (Honestly, I don't even know if any of them have played the Gabriel Knight games.) And her more recent colleagues from Oberon, Zynga, etc, just don't have the same reach.

But if you want to try to get them to lend support, here are there twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/#!/grumpygamer
https://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
It seems to have picked up a bit while I slept
It was 64,4k over 7 hours ago, now its 71,9k. Not bad.

Fingers crossed.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #318

One thing that can slow things a little bit is the Easter holiday syndrome. At least in Northern Europe it is very common to take this week free from work(and go on either skiing trips or sunbathing in warmer climate countries. At least in Norway there is almost no activity in national press from Thursday - Monday

I know I am grasping at straws here, but still optimistic

I think I am going to watch the you tube clip of GK 3 play-through to ease
the pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtUH-...eature=related

The excitement is getting to me
Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #319

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobotomy42 View Post
Most of her Sierra colleagues are now retired from the public eye. The LucasArts guys - Tim Schafer, Ron Gilbert, Dave Grossman - are still active but I doubt that they ever really knew her. (Honestly, I don't even know if any of them have played the Gabriel Knight games.) And her more recent colleagues from Oberon, Zynga, etc, just don't have the same reach.

But if you want to try to get them to lend support, here are there twitter accounts:

https://twitter.com/#!/grumpygamer
https://twitter.com/#!/TimOfLegend
I follow them, and have tried to get their attention, as well as with other kickstarters - Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, etc. No response at all.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #320

My last post seems to have been deleted (or delayed) because of a silly you tube link of a GK3 play through movie. It said something about Northern Europe and Easter holiday that could slow things down a bit.

The thing about contacting Tim, Ron and all the others is: They already know about this kickstarter. At least Tim is pretty active following both the industry and kick starter especially, so if they want to back this they will. I have a feeling that begging them is only annoying them. I am sure Tim will say something in a couple of days. Remember this has only been on for 2 days out of 44 and if he sees that help is needed he will probably step up like the gentleman (I still hope) he is. Hope my $100 to him was not waisted