Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30815-new-jane-jensen-game-kickstarter-campaign.html)

Martin Gantefoehr 04-05-2012 03:25 AM

Quote:

Official press is still to come, so there's no exposure on ANY site yet, spare for AGs and Gamespot. Not even on majority of adventure gaming sites, i've seen it only on German ones.
Many major German gaming publications are running the news as well.

UPtimist 04-05-2012 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diego (Post 606395)
Official press is still to come, so there's no exposure on ANY site yet, spare for AGs and Gamespot. Not even on majority of adventure gaming sites, i've seen it only on German ones. And one thing to remember is that gaming blogs like Kotaku, Joystiq and Destructoid are extremely important in spreading the word.

Oh, I thought they had already done the official press release. My bad then :P

KatieHal 04-05-2012 05:51 AM

Well, she just got a 10K donor this morning! Damn! She's already in one day gone past what it took us 44 days to raise for Cognition. Go Jane go!

And yes! Let's all spread the word so this thing can get to its goal by May 19th!

TimovieMan 04-05-2012 07:20 AM

Whew, this thread is moving like a freight train - seems that Jane Jensen has some serious pull in this forum...

While I haven't played any of the Gabriel Knight games yet (I've only played Gray Matter which I liked well enough), I'm still convinced this is a project that should succeed. Jensen is a big household name and has made some of the most beloved adventure games of all time (I don't need to have played them to recognise this).
While I can understand that a lot of you want a fourth Gabriel Knight game, that's just not going to happen in the immediate future because of the Licensing Hell.
With this in mind, why isn't there more love for Moebius (which sounds as close to a Gabriel Knight game as is humanly possible), Gray Matter 2 (a sequel to a game that held a lot of potential) or Anglophile (which sounds innovative in nature)?
In the adventure genre, ANY new game by a known developer with a good reputation should be applauded. Especially since this Kickstarter shows more of the games that are going to be made than Double Fine ever did. Jensen KNOWS what games she wants to make. Imo, that deserves a lot more funds than the vague concept coined by Schafer.

I've been pretty vocal about not funding DFA before, and I *probably* won't fund this one either - still prefer buying the game when it's out - but if there's ONE Kickstarter campaign that has piqued my interest, then it's this one.
I love the prospect of getting three entirely different games from a well loved developer.

I'll follow this Kickstarter closely. If it looks like they're going to hit a million dollars, then I'm not funding, but if they're struggling to reach 300K+, THIS will be the project I'd back.

TimovieMan 04-05-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieHal (Post 606410)
Well, she just got a 10K donor this morning! Damn! She's already in one day gone past what it took us 44 days to raise for Cognition. Go Jane go!

Maybe you should have "exploited" Jensen's name a bit more for Cognition? You know, use the big name to attract the masses...

millenia 04-05-2012 07:35 AM

There definitely should have been more info on the Cognition project, I totally missed it and would have easily paid the ~15$. But great thing that the game is coming out at all :)

And I agree with TimovieMan with all the game concepts, I am excited about them.

Kurufinwe 04-05-2012 07:43 AM

Looks like the page has been updated with more info about Gray Matter 2
Quote:

Story: Renegade Oxford Neurobiologist Dr. David Styles and his assistant, American street magician, Samantha Everett, continue on David's quest to research powers of the mind. In this game, they visit the home of a dead student who had the power to unleash a fiery force when her emotions were charged. What is the nature of her genetic lineage? Was her devastating gift a fluke? Or do the xenophobic residents of her small island home harbor secrets they’d rather the world not know?

Art Style & Mechanic: Like Gray Matter, this game will have a pre-rendered 3D art style (aka "2.5 D"). It will be a 3rd person adventure game with a point-and-click mechanic like Gray Matter and an improved magic interface -- and more time playing Dr. Styles!
and Moebius
Quote:

Story: Malachi Rector is an antiquities dealer who hunts down artifacts all over the world. After losing everything in a fire, he's hired by a Manhattan millionaire to investigate a series of events and document them in his meticulous way. But Rector soon realizes that the events hold a bizarre significance, as does his own existence. This is a metaphysical thriller ala Dante’s Equation and Gabriel Knight.

Art Style & Mechanic: 2D, graphic novel look and feel (like an updated GK1). It will be a 3rd person adventure game with a point-and-click mechanic and lots of sophisticated puzzles.
And more info on the difficulty:
Quote:

What kinds of adventure games will they be? Hard? Casual?

Our plan is to have a "casual" and a "true adventure" option at the start of the game. This will allow us to provide an easier path through for those who are not hard-core players -- while allowing our 'true adventure' path to be uncompromised (and by uncompromised we mean classic Sierra-style puzzles). We're looking forward to beta-testing with our CSG members and tuning the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzosports (Post 606363)
I've spent much of today thinking about this and obsessing with the low rates of signups.

I really think
1. Using the tagline "A Year of Adventure with Jane Jensen," would be so much better than the current title which sounds like an address.

And it looks like someone followed your advice: the title of the page is now: Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road: "A Year of Adventure". You should ask for royalties. :P

ozzie 04-05-2012 10:27 AM

i agree that the children book thing isn't helping. there was a lot of misunderstanding about it, also on a German forum. Somehow people think it's part of the deal. I guess they don't pay attention, but the reason doesn't matter I guess. It shouldn't have been mentioned on the Kickstarter page AT ALL.
For many the concept seems to be diffuse, not very clear. Oh well...at least i know what it's about, I hope enough other people will do too.
Maybe the message wasn't delivered in the most exciting and clear way possible, apart from the kickstarter video, which I think was great! But maybe not everyone watched it...
I think the main reason why things are going much slowly is because there aren't as many prominent names attached to it. Double Fine Adventure had Tim Schafer, Double Fine Entertainment & Ron Gilbert. And everyone knew what those names were standing for.

This one has Jane Jensen, but I doubt that in the public consciousness it's quite as well known a name. She never did anything else than adventures and casual games, after all. Tim Schafer reached into other genres and is therefore more well known. Maybe something like "From the designer of Gabriel Knight" should have been trumpeted even more loudly. ;)

Just my thoughts. I don't think it's going bad at all. Sure, it's much more slowly than Double Fine Adventure, but I think that one was just an astounding exception anyway.

KatieHal 04-05-2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimovieMan (Post 606415)
Maybe you should have "exploited" Jensen's name a bit more for Cognition? You know, use the big name to attract the masses...

Possibly, but I honestly think we publicized that game as much as we reasonably could have. And I'm entirely convinced that if we ran it right now, in the "post-Tim Schafer" world, it would raise more than it did back then. I mean, at the time, the highest amount raised for a video game KS was a little over 100K. Our campaign, which ended at just over $34K, was No. 8 in the most funded list for a while. Now? We're number 16, and we'll be dropping quickly as more campaigns complete their run.

I'm still quite proud of how much we raised--it wasn't 3 million, but it got us started and we'd be in a big fix without that. We may someday kickstart another project, who knows--a lot depends on how well Cognition does when we release it. :)

And hey, if you missed donating then, just keep an eye out for when pre-orders open up! :)

(Or donate to Jane. I'll just say her campaign succeeding would also be good for us!)

Gabe 04-05-2012 10:41 AM

I think Jensen deserves every penny she gets from funding but Schafer abandoned agaming for 15 years now asking money from fans to return the nerve!

kuze 04-05-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 606438)
I think Jensen deserves every penny she gets from funding but Schafer abandoned agaming for 15 years now asking money from fans to return the nerve!

Yeah, what a douche, having been making great games for the last decade that don't fit your definition of "adventure". The nerve!

millenia 04-05-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatieHal (Post 606436)
Possibly, but I honestly think we publicized that game as much as we reasonably could have. And I'm entirely convinced that if we ran it right now, in the "post-Tim Schafer" world, it would raise more than it did back then. I mean, at the time, the highest amount raised for a video game KS was a little over 100K. Our campaign, which ended at just over $34K, was No. 8 in the most funded list for a while. Now? We're number 16, and we'll be dropping quickly as more campaigns complete their run.

I'm still quite proud of how much we raised--it wasn't 3 million, but it got us started and we'd be in a big fix without that. We may someday kickstart another project, who knows--a lot depends on how well Cognition does when we release it. :)

And hey, if you missed donating then, just keep an eye out for when pre-orders open up! :)

(Or donate to Jane. I'll just say her campaign succeeding would also be good for us!)

Yes the biggest change is of course the DFA that raised the awareness of consumers. I think you did well and I'm glad the game is coming out, I will be buying it.

And Jane Jensen indeed deserves every penny, more than Schafer, not that I'd think badly of him.

ozzie 04-05-2012 10:51 AM

Yet the reason why Tim Schafer raised so much money is because he continued to develop big-budget games, even though they weren't adventures. Without Psychonauts, Brütal Legend and other titles by Double Fine I doubt the money raised would be nearly as much...

Lhurgoyf 04-05-2012 11:12 AM

Yeah it's understandable that Schafer is a bigger name and had a bigger exposure than Pinkerton Road project, but what I can't understand, that Leisure Suit Larry remake has already 4500 backers, and Jane Jensen only 650. (Granted, that LSL has a 2-day head start.) Where are all the GK fans for gods sake?

Gabe 04-05-2012 11:31 AM

Schafer declared not believing agaming anymore now
asking how much you can give me for it and gets 3 m.$,that's
too much credit for a non believer.I wonder if he' been asked
without calling "an adventure" just for making another action-platform kinect motion etc.game how much would have been get?

Majsan 04-05-2012 11:31 AM

I agree with Lhurgoyf...

After all this is Jane Jensen! The 'Master of Storytelling'!! :P
I´m gonna jump on this train because I really think the games she has in mind to release sounds very intresting!

Terabin 04-05-2012 11:44 AM

So I still don't see news of Pinkerton Road and Janes kickstarter on a lot of what I would consider major sites: kotaku and ign in particular among sites I frequent. Why is this? Also I googled "kickstarter Pc games" and had to wade through the first six pages of results to find an article about Jane. I think word still needs to spread further about Janes new endeavors.

zane 04-05-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhurgoyf (Post 606445)
but what I can't understand, that Leisure Suit Larry remake has already 4500 backers, and Jane Jensen only 650.

Because "sex sells" :r

Its the only explanation for why a remake of a remake of a short game is doing that much better.

Stheo 04-05-2012 11:45 AM

So, uh, what happened to that press release? No wonder the Larry and Shadowrun kickstarters are doing way better, they have been all over the major international gaming sites and blogs. This project however seems to be mentioned solely on Gamespot and Adventuregamers so far.

If the press release didn't go out yet i'm not worried, things are gonna pick up once the news reaches more people. If it did however... that would mean the sites just aren't interested, and that would spell disaster as i don't think this is gonna make it on word of mouth alone.

I sure hope it's the former, I'd love to see this happen as I consider the GK games to be some of the best examples of interactive storytelling ever. Can't wait to see what Jane Jensen comes up with this time around!

Lhurgoyf 04-05-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stheo (Post 606457)
So, uh, what happened to that press release?

Jane said on her Facebook page 20 hours ago, that "Gamespot has a 24 hour exclusive. We'll be issuing a general press release tomorrow." I didn't know that someone can have an exclusive on a press release :shifty: