Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   New Jane Jensen game and Kickstarter campaign (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30815-new-jane-jensen-game-kickstarter-campaign.html)

Banter 04-04-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 606274)
Isn't it a bit optimistic to expect $300,000 by May 19th when she's gotten $17,383 to start and you'd expect the most diehard of followers to have donated early on.

I'd love to see Gray Matter 2 though!

20 grant for the first few hours is excellent. The first day isn't even over yet and we still have 45 days to go. Lots of people must be on the fence and not everyone has a funded credit card at hand. I am a die-hard fan and I will only be able to pledge next week, for instance.

Jeez, aren't you people jumpy...

UPtimist 04-04-2012 11:42 AM

Jane Jensen brings up a lot of emotions. There's a lot of expectations there, so a bit of jumpiness is understandable (though I hope people can take it easy and rational :) )
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolorabi (Post 606269)
It helps. :) I have one more question: What happens if the funding goal is reached but the adventure game for some reason gets delayed and isn't released this "cycle"? Will the contributors have to settle for the ebook game or will they still get an adventure?

I can't see it happening that they promise a game and then "whoops, overdue - pay up more for the next cycle, maybe then!" The people doing this are fair people (unless Jane has been running the most elaborate and long-running ponzi-scheme of all times! :P). If there's a delay or something, you'll still get what you payed for.

Am I right, fovsie?

Henke 04-04-2012 11:48 AM

So we will get more information about these projects in the beginning of May? Moebius sounds extremely promising IMO and Gray Matter 2 is obviously a close second. Can't wait to hear more about it. :)

Jaesun 04-04-2012 11:49 AM

My only concern is since she has full freedom on the development, that is a full classic adventure game in the vein of the GK series (or similar).

Not the casual crap we get today.

Banter 04-04-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lhurgoyf (Post 606276)
I never played GK1 (only read a novel), and also never played GK2. But I played and absolutely adored GK3. To this day, I consider it the best adventure game ever made with it's intriguing mystery, atmosphere, music, and masterful dialogues.

Bro, you really don't know what you are missing. You should play the first game ASAP, it is the best in the series and guaranteed to be great entertainment, even if you already know the story from the novel adaptation. Hell, it is probably the best "serious" adventure ever made. Everything about it is awesome, not just the story but also design, graphics, gameplay and puzzles. It is a gem.

As for GK 2, at least watch gameplay videos on youtube. It was an awesome game with an awesome story, even if you don't care for the "b-movieness" of FMV games.

Kurufinwe 04-04-2012 11:55 AM

I really love the video. It's great and fun. And the three games look nice. I wouldn't mind a few more details, but I'm sure we'll get those in due time. In those Kickstarter things, you have to keep some cards up your sleeve to keep the interest going over the length of the period; note also that voting for which game to make first will occur before the end of the drive, so I guess people will be able to know exactly what they're pledging for before it ends.

I don't know what some people have against the Anglophile game. Conspiracy theories and stuff can be fun, but I'd love to see Jensen try her hand at something different, and a period drama with some strong characters and social interactions could be fun.

I also wouldn't be too worried about the pledges starting slowly. Bear in mind that it's the middle of the day here in the US and people are at work and don't necessarily have the time to watch the video, read everything and make up their minds. It won't reach the amounts that Double Fine Adventure got, but unless it doesn't even reach 10% of the required amount in 24 hours, there's no reason to get worried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Banter (Post 606277)
I am a die-hard fan and I will only be able to pledge next week, for instance.

Note that no money is taken from your account until the end of the Kickstarter drive (and only if the required amount is reached). So you could pledge now even if you don't have the money; all that matters is that you have it by May 19th.

Banter 04-04-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaesun (Post 606281)
My only concern is since she has full freedom on the development, that is a full classic adventure game in the vein of the GK series (or similar).

Not the casual crap we get today.

Jaesun, you are openly a raving homossexual and you don't care much for Anglophile, right? I know I shouldn't ask this of you, but tell others to man up and vote for Moebius. :lol:

P.S: I know you from the codex. Guess me.

zane 04-04-2012 12:01 PM

really the rate of growth is a little too slow right now... but lets keep up the hope and try to spread word and hope this spark catches :)
Statistically, right now the number of backers is alot more important to an early kickstarter than the dollar amount.

Banter 04-04-2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 606283)
Conspiracy theories and stuff can be fun, but I'd love to see Jensen try her hand at something different, and a period drama with some strong characters and social interactions could be fun.

I think the only Jensen games associated with conspiracy theories in the true sense of the word are GK3 and(to some extent) Gray Matter. I'm thinking her true trademarks associated with all her works are Gothic fiction and horror influences. Her signature game is probably GK1.

I dunno, nothing wrong with trying something completely new and making a 180 degrees turn, but Anglophile is not what many fans of her previous works want. Just look at how many people in this thread alone are turned off and even *scared* of it being the game they would fund.

fov 04-04-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPtimist (Post 606278)
I can't see it happening that they promise a game and then "whoops, overdue - pay up more for the next cycle, maybe then!" The people doing this are fair people (unless Jane has been running the most elaborate and long-running ponzi-scheme of all times! :P). If there's a delay or something, you'll still get what you payed for.

Am I right, fovsie?

Yes. The campaign is raising money to fund specific games, and backers are guaranteed to get those games. She's not going to take the money and run. :devil:

Also, to the point about people not wanting to help fund a game you don't know anything about - that's totally understandable. I found it interesting when Double Fine's Kickstarter went up that Tim said *nothing* about the game he planned to make, other than that it would be a "traditional adventure" -- clearly a lot of people didn't have a problem with that, but it was a gutsy move to ask for money for

In the same vein, there are some people (myself included) who love Jane's work so much it doesn't really matter what the game's about... a traditional "Jane Jensen adventure game" is enough. For others, more details about the games themselves are needed... and that's totally fine (and part of the beauty of Kickstarter, really -- you can follow your gut feeling on the projects that "speak" to you).

Luckily, more details about these games will be revealed before the campaign ends, which will hopefully help people who are on the fence decide if it's really for them or not.

Banter 04-04-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Note that no money is taken from your account until the end of the Kickstarter drive (and only if the required amount is reached). So you could pledge now even if you don't have the money; all that matters is that you have it by May 19th.

Thanks for the heads up. Pledge given.

This goes to all that like me still haven't received their credit card bills and used up their limit: the money is only charged after the kickstarter is successful so you can pledge now without problem. Your only concern is to have the funds by may 19th.

Jannik 04-04-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 606285)
really the rate of growth is a little too slow right now... but lets keep up the hope and try to spread word and hope this spark catches :)
Statistically, right now the number of backers is alot more important to an early kickstarter than the dollar amount.

I doubt the press release has gone out to the big non-adventure game sites yet (or only just very recently). Either that or they for some weird reason refuse to write about it. A search on 'jane jensen' and 'gabriel knight' on gamenewshq.com, which collects game related news, returns nothing except for two posts on reddit.com.

Lhurgoyf 04-04-2012 12:15 PM

Let's be completely realistic: The Anglophile Adventure will get abysmal votes in comparison to the other two games. And I can be almost 100% sure that the Moebius will be the grand winner, because Jane herself described it as the closest game to GK. And really, there are more GK fans than GM fans out there.

skaata 04-04-2012 12:29 PM

Lets be even more realistic;
If Janes surprise would be "Hey, I need 500 K so I could make GK4",
the sum she has recieved would be 5 times bigger than it is right now. Sure, its nice that
we probably will get a few new games from one of the best game developers ever but I cant help but think that you will pay more for something that you already know and been waiting for, for serveral years than something that is something similar (read Moebius) to a game that has thousands and thousans of hardcore fans.

And I liked Gray Matter, it was a pretty good adventure game, but in comparasion to the GK series... well, I really hope this kickstarter thingie will be rewarding since I want Janes new company to succed but I truly in my heart dont believe it.
And oh, I gave 50 bux.

Jaesun 04-04-2012 12:37 PM

Gaining the rights to Gabriel Knight from Activision is a complex (and possibly costly) matter.

I'm still behind the Mobeus game. Sounds exactly what I would want from her.

TheLongestJourney 04-04-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

I don't know what some people have against the Anglophile game. Conspiracy theories and stuff can be fun, but I'd love to see Jensen try her hand at something different, and a period drama with some strong characters and social interactions could be fun.

Yes I'm not alone!

People here are so hung up on Gabriel Knight 4. I don't understand it. I have played and enjoyed the first two games and they are great no doubt about that. But why do we always need sequels upon sequels? This is exactly what is wrong with the mainstream gaming industry. This is why I was so excited to fund Doublefine's adventure because I know the game will be good no matter what the subject matter. For the same reason I would have supported this game if all she told us was that the gameplay was going to be a traditional point and click adventure because I have faith in her ability to write a good plot with great characters.

I really think there needs to be more developed romantic relationships in video games so having a game where that is the sole focus of the plot really appeals to me.

fov 04-04-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannik (Post 606289)
I doubt the press release has gone out to the big non-adventure game sites yet (or only just very recently). Either that or they for some weird reason refuse to write about it. A search on 'jane jensen' and 'gabriel knight' on gamenewshq.com, which collects game related news, returns nothing except for two posts on reddit.com.

A press release will be going out first thing tomorrow morning. :)

skaata 04-04-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

People here are so hung up on Gabriel Knight 4. I don't understand it. I have played and enjoyed the first two games and they are great no doubt about that. But why do we always need sequels upon sequels?
Because after all these years I still feel that the story isnt finished. The end of GK3 leaves too much unsaid. Too much loose ends in the relationship between Grace and Gabriel. I, for one, feel no need for a second GM, for example. That story felt finished the way I see it. This goes for several other great games but no way Ms Jensen was finished with her GK story, I wont believe that.

TheLongestJourney 04-04-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skaata (Post 606298)
Err, and Im sorry, missed the quotation marks from the post I relplied to:)

I figured it out. True. I will be playing Gabriel Knight 3 this summer and will get Gray Matter when it goes on sale in preparation for these games so I will reserve judgement until then on the ending of GK3.

However, I really loved Grace in the Beast Within and the dialogue between Grace and the customer in the bookstore about "Figi" was priceless. One of my favorite moments in video games I played last year. I hope Jane brings us more gossipy moments like that about relationships in her next game!

inm8#2 04-04-2012 01:40 PM

I hope this kickstarter is a big stepping stone toward Jane acquiring the GK rights.

I'm not well versed in the legality of publishing rights or whatever rights they are called, but Activision confuses me. They own the rights to a certain franchise which hasn't been tapped in 13 years. They have no plans to do anything with it. So, why hold on? Why not sell off the rights to someone who will take care of the franchise while you stick to making your Call of Duty games?

Just doesn't make sense other than holding onto a lottery ticket you never plan on cashing.