You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Delaware St. John - Please show your support!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #1

Default Delaware St. John - Please show your support!

Hello Adventure Gamers!

I'm very excited to announce that the 4th Delaware St. John game, Asylum of The Lost now has a solid release date for June, 2013...if you want it.

We are working with Kickstarter.com to raise the money to do something we've never had the chance to do before: create a game with an actual budget!

Please visit http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...um-of-the-lost to find out how YOU can speak up and show your support for our ongoing series by pledging a donation. All donations over $15 get you a free copy of the game!

This is a dream project for me and my team and I can assure you, if we can raise the budget for this project, you're going to be amazed at just how great this series can be.

I am grateful we've been fortunate to make three games so far on very little but we're capable of so much more and we're asking for the opportunity to show you!

The fund-raising drive is only going on for 45 days so please donate today and please share this information with as many people as you can! We have a short time to raise a considerable budget!

To all the current fans, I thank you for your years of support and encouragement. To all non-current fans; consider a donation and let us make a game that will turn you into one!

Now, let's see where this goes!

-Bryan
Old 04-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #2

Since making the fund raising drive announcement, I've been asked a few specific questions which made me realize I've not fully explained our goal.

So I'd like to take this opportunity to elaborate.

First, we're asked "if you made games before on little budgets, why not keep doing that?"

In the past we worked on all Delaware games as part-time projects in a tight timeframe, usually around 6 months. While I'm proud of the work we did with such limited time and resources, the reality is the quality suffered. We had to cut features, story elements and puzzles due to our limitations and time constraints. The plan for Delaware 4 is have 12 months of development time with a full-time staff dedicated only to this project. We feel the quality will be amazing and really help us take our series from "That's pretty good for an indie game" to "That's a really good game."

The boost in quality paired with a wider launch (available for PC, Mac and tablets) will increase our chances of reaching a wider market and help us profit enough to secure the future development of the rest of the games in the series.

There are no big salaries in this budget. The money has been earmarked to get us the best quality possible but no one is getting a "payday" from it. We're about making a great game, not making tons of money.

Another question I've gotten is "Why is there no physical version of the game?"

With the release of each previous Delaware game on CD, within days of sending out copies of the game, I found pirated copies being sold online for half the price we were asking. I went round and round with eBay and other marketplaces to get those copies removed. It's very time consuming. But each time I got some removed, new ones would pop up and it was clear people were purchasing these illegal copies. They'd also email me for tech support as well. I tried to make it clear to everyone if you do not buy the game from us directly, we don't see any profits and we're not benefitting to be able to fund new developments.

Needless to say the problem only worsened with people eventually selling "digital" copies of our games illegally for $5.

While piracy may be irritating to big-release games, it cripples independent games like ours. It wasn't my first choice to go with a digital-only distribution but in the end it's the only way we can securly sell our product without risking piracy.

In light of this decision, I have given additional thought to collectors. I'll pose this question to the forum and see what the reply is. What if we did manufacture a boxed "collector's edition" of the game as a free bonus to people who pledge? This would be a real, sealed box with a printed CD inside, however, the CD would be blank. This would only be for the sake of collectors who like a boxed game to have on their shelf. Would that be considered a fair trade-off?

Thank you for taking the time to read this. As I said before, it would mean a great deal to me if this project got funded. But I also realize asking people for money in advance for a project is tough, especially in this economy. That's why I'm especially grateful for each and every pledge we get. We know the value of money and we're committed to ensuring your money will create a fantastic adventure you won't forget!

If you have any specific questions or concerns keeping you from pledging, please bring them up for me to address. We don't have much time to raise the money so each donation and day counts! I would appreciate everyone helping to spread the word. This would be a dream opportunity for us and I know you will love the results of our efforts.

-Bryan
Old 04-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #3

The topic of digital vs physical copy of the game has come up many times. While I've explained why we need to release the game digitally to avoid piracy, at the end of the day it's about making the customer happy.

In consideration of this, I've updated our rewards system to include a free digital copy of the game, a free digital copy of the soundtrack and a free limited collector's edition boxed copy of the game as well with a pledge of $50 or more.

-Bryan
Old 04-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWiegele View Post
In light of this decision, I have given additional thought to collectors. I'll pose this question to the forum and see what the reply is. What if we did manufacture a boxed "collector's edition" of the game as a free bonus to people who pledge? This would be a real, sealed box with a printed CD inside, however, the CD would be blank.
I certainly hope this is an April Fool's Day joke and that you wouldn't honestly consider including a blank CD with no game in a Collector's Edition.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #5

Two thoughts... First, I hope there won't be any mazes this time around ( ). Second, the rewards aren't really that tempting in my opinion. The collector's edition is nice, but I'd definitely move stuff like the remastered editions of the older games down a few notches if I were you. They're the kind of bonus that might get the more casual fans pledging another ten or fifteen dollars, not $500. Just an idea.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #6

Kolorabi, thank you for the feedback.

As a response, I've now changed the rewards structure for a $50 pledge to include digital remastered copies of all three previous games in addition to the boxed collector's edition of the fourth. I appreciate the suggestion.

-Bryan
Old 04-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #7

Hey Brian,

I will be happy to pledge my support, but one thing I noticed and that I think is the best advice anyone can give you is this: The intended budget of U$ 280.000 is way too high.

Not too high in the sense that you wouldn't make an awesome game with it(I played your "no budget" games and enjoyed them, so I know you will), or too high in the sense that it is wrong to be ambitious with your project(it is not). It is just that I doubt you will get the "pull" needed to reach this goal, and I would hate to see the kickstarter fail because of that. Cognition had the backing of Jane Jensen's name and a whole lot more attention than you will probably get... and in the end got much less than that(about 35.000 bucks). You see my point?

If you lower the kickstarter goal you will increase your chances of succeeding, increase confidence of others in it succeeding, and you will also still make a good game in the end. After all, you made 3 good games with no budget at all...

Cheers and hope it all works out. You can count on 15 of my hard earned bucks for it.

P.S: I just wondered now, I assume if the goal isn't reached the project is cancelled. Or can the person responsible for the kickstarter settle with less than the intended goal? Will you move on with the project if the goal isn't reached?