You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
Bon
The Tentacle

Default iOS vs. Android

I'm thinking of buying a mobile phone to play adventure games on it. Which system would you recommend?
Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #2
Failed Birthday Elf

I think that there are more (some?!) adventure titles for sale on IOS, such as Broken Sword.

However, if you are in to the Indie scene, there is a version of the AGS engine under development for Android which you can find here at the AGS forums.

It is still a work in progress and sometimes will crash, but if you like AGS games it is a must. I presently have the Blackwell Series, the Ben Jordan Series, the Trilby Series and other miscellaneous games on my Galaxy S and for me it's the best thing since sliced bread being able to play them on the train etc!

As I said it is still in development and is not yet perfect, some MIDI tracks won't play (although most music and speech work fine) and you do get the odd crash here or there, but it is being regularly updated and strengthened.

Also you have to have some small knowledge of the phone to get it up and running (i.e. know how to download games from AGS and save them in a specific folder/location on your phone) but generally the app is improving and getting more user friendly as time goes on.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #3

Even though I'm an Android guy with no iOS devices I was going to come in here to recommend an iPhone if you wanted Adventure games. There's Sword & Sworcery (or is that iPad only?), Hector, Puzzle Agent, Broken Sword 1&2, other Telltale games, and more.

I had no idea that AGS was coming to Android. That's amazing and I'm going to check it out right now. Thanks for pointing it out.

edit: Rats, my Steam copy of Blackwell doesn't play nicely. I get an error relating to Steam Achievements. Ben There, Dan That, however, does work from Steam. Well, it launches and the first 5 minutes work at least.

Last edited by louiedog; 03-27-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
fov
Rattenmonster

Check out AG's Eye on iPhone features for an idea of some of the adventures you can find on iOS:

Vol. 1
Vol. 2
Vol. 3
Vol. 4
Vol. 5

The games covered in those articles are mostly ports from other platforms. There are also iOS specific releases like Scarlett and the Spark of Life and The Jim & Frank Mysteries. There's a running list of iOS adventure games on the forum here.

Unfortunately there isn't nearly as much available for Android. If your deciding factor in buying the phone is that you want to play adventure games on it, I would go with an iPhone.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #5

If you want to play older games, you need to jailbrake an iPhone to install DOSBox on it. There is more than one version of DOSBox for the Android. There is also a ScummVM port for the Android.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
Also you have to have some small knowledge of the phone to get it up and running (i.e. know how to download games from AGS
Where is the best place to do this? Any sites in particular you can give us to download games?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Where is the best place to do this? Any sites in particular you can give us to download games?
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php
Old 03-28-2012, 01:26 AM   #8
Failed Birthday Elf

^ this.

I should also say that there is another app in development called AGS Stream which will download the AGS engine and games easily for you. It can be found here.

However, this is still VERY MUCH a work in progress as all it will do at the moment is install the engine and one game! However, it is still useful to install the engine if you're unsure what you are doing(!) and will doubtless be updated before too long to include other games.

This one (AGS Stream) is available through the android marketplace. The main engine one (in my above post) is not on the marketplace so you will need to have enabled the installation of non-market applications on your phone. (Tick box under settings/applications on my Galaxy S)
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
Bon
The Tentacle

Tnx alot, you've been most helpful!