You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Games closest to Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Monkey Island

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 AM   #1

Default Games closest to Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Monkey Island

I love adventure games but when I look back there is a trilogy of game series that I still love playing.

Even after nearly 20 years I 'm still waiting and hoping and begging for a Maniac Mansion 3/Day of the Tentacle 2. Is it me or does it feel like Maniac Mansion could have been one of longer running series like Monkey Island if given the chance? I heard that Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer pitched a sequel for a 3rd game but it got turned down. Which really annoys me. Sorry little annoyed, I'll lay off the whining.

Anyway my question is are there any games like these 3 series? Similar humour/atmosphere/feel etc. I know these series are very unique but be cool to find something like them.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #2
Senior Passer-by

Try U.F.O.s and Duckman by all means.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:04 AM   #3

As far as very recent games go, I think Metal Dead is the closest in atmosphere and pacing to Maniac Mansion. It's also just really good. Another recent game would be Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy, which is free and doesn't pretend to not be inspired by Monkey Island.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely see how they seem a little like sam and max and day of the tentacle in style.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:07 PM   #5

anything else?
Old 03-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #6
Homo Ludens

I am assuming that you have played all four LucasArts Monkey Island games, as well as Telltale's episodic Monkey Island games and Sam & Max games (there are three seasons of the latter).

Beyond those, I enjoyed Jolly Rover reasonably well. You can also look in the "Top 100" that was published on this site a little while ago - some of the entries come with recommendations for similar titles. For example, the editors recommend the Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island and A Vampyre Story as similar to the Curse of Monkey Island (both of them were developed by Bill Tiller - a former LA employee), and Edna & Harvey and Strong Bad as similar to Sam & Max.

Edit: I should probably add that Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! might also appeal to you.

Last edited by TerminusEst; 03-25-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #7
The Quiet One

What about Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 and the Discworld series? The former is similar to the latter and both series are humorous. Plus, the graphic style to Simon 1, 2 and Discworld 1 are similar to the early LucasArts games.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
3rd person fanatic :)

DOTT is so unique, that it's really hard to think anything like it.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #9

Jack Keane is also a nice funny game! Prefered especially by Monkey Island fans. But in general a very good one!
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #10

By all means, play Psychonauts if you haven't yet! It's a platform game alright, but it has all the style, humour and wackiness of Day of the Tentacle, and it is very heavy on adventure elements. The closest thing you can get, well, from Tim Schafer.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:03 AM   #11

Putt Putt Goes to the Moon! Ron Gilbert worked on that game.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I second Discworld 2 (haven't played the first one) and I would also add Toonstruck. It's difficult to get a hold of it these days and possibly a bitch to get it running on today's hardware/OS but totally worth it.

I also have a very soft spot for Edna & Harvey: The Breakout and I think the simplistic art style and whacky situations will be appealing to you. Be advised, though, that compared to most of these games, Edna & Harvey is a bit on the "wordy" side and as a result its humour is a mixed bag. Most of the time I thought the jokes worked but sometimes it just tries too hard with the dialogue and comments and the constant blathering wears the whole experience down a bit.

I guess it's quite obvious but have you tried Grim Fandango (also by Tim Schaffer)? It's more "intellectual" and less slapstick than those games but so incredibly witty, charming and uncanny that you will fall in love with it right away, if you don't mind the keyboard-driven controls.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 03-28-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladroid View Post
I second Discworld 2 (haven't played the first one) and I would also add Toonstruck. It's difficult to get a hold of it these days and possibly a bitch to get it running on today's hardware/OS but totally worth it.
Both games work flawlessly with ScummVM. Tried and proved.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #14
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Really? That's excellent news. I've played Discworld 2 but never tried running Toonstruck through ScummVM. I have to give it a whirl, it's been some time now.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 03-28-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladroid View Post
Really? That's excellent news.
Sure. Toonstruck is supported from ScummVM 1.3.0 on.
I played it last June.
It was one of the hardest games to start on any system, let alone XP and newer OSs.