Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Games closest to Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Monkey Island (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30749-games-closest-day-tentacle-sam-max-monkey-island.html)

samd1988 03-25-2012 01:52 AM

Games closest to Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max and Monkey Island

I love adventure games but when I look back there is a trilogy of game series that I still love playing.

Even after nearly 20 years I 'm still waiting and hoping and begging for a Maniac Mansion 3/Day of the Tentacle 2. Is it me or does it feel like Maniac Mansion could have been one of longer running series like Monkey Island if given the chance? I heard that Dave Grossman and Tim Schafer pitched a sequel for a 3rd game but it got turned down. Which really annoys me. Sorry little annoyed, I'll lay off the whining.

Anyway my question is are there any games like these 3 series? Similar humour/atmosphere/feel etc. I know these series are very unique but be cool to find something like them.

zobraks 03-25-2012 02:18 AM

Try U.F.O.s and Duckman by all means.

Peter254 03-25-2012 04:04 AM

As far as very recent games go, I think Metal Dead is the closest in atmosphere and pacing to Maniac Mansion. It's also just really good. Another recent game would be Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy, which is free and doesn't pretend to not be inspired by Monkey Island.

samd1988 03-25-2012 09:49 AM

thanks for the recommendations, I'll definitely see how they seem a little like sam and max and day of the tentacle in style.

samd1988 03-25-2012 04:07 PM

anything else? :D

TerminusEst 03-25-2012 07:01 PM

I am assuming that you have played all four LucasArts Monkey Island games, as well as Telltale's episodic Monkey Island games and Sam & Max games (there are three seasons of the latter).

Beyond those, I enjoyed Jolly Rover reasonably well. You can also look in the "Top 100" that was published on this site a little while ago - some of the entries come with recommendations for similar titles. For example, the editors recommend the Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island and A Vampyre Story as similar to the Curse of Monkey Island (both of them were developed by Bill Tiller - a former LA employee), and Edna & Harvey and Strong Bad as similar to Sam & Max.

Edit: I should probably add that Ben There, Dan That! and Time Gentlemen, Please! might also appeal to you.

DustyShinigami 03-26-2012 05:35 AM

What about Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2 and the Discworld series? The former is similar to the latter and both series are humorous. Plus, the graphic style to Simon 1, 2 and Discworld 1 are similar to the early LucasArts games.

MoonBird 03-26-2012 05:56 AM

DOTT is so unique, that it's really hard to think anything like it.

tsampikos 03-26-2012 06:07 AM

Jack Keane is also a nice funny game! Prefered especially by Monkey Island fans. But in general a very good one!

Arial Type 03-27-2012 01:36 AM

By all means, play Psychonauts if you haven't yet! It's a platform game alright, but it has all the style, humour and wackiness of Day of the Tentacle, and it is very heavy on adventure elements. The closest thing you can get, well, from Tim Schafer.

thejobloshow 03-27-2012 02:03 AM

Putt Putt Goes to the Moon! Ron Gilbert worked on that game.

maladroid 03-27-2012 05:55 PM

I second Discworld 2 (haven't played the first one) and I would also add Toonstruck. It's difficult to get a hold of it these days and possibly a bitch to get it running on today's hardware/OS but totally worth it.

I also have a very soft spot for Edna & Harvey: The Breakout and I think the simplistic art style and whacky situations will be appealing to you. Be advised, though, that compared to most of these games, Edna & Harvey is a bit on the "wordy" side and as a result its humour is a mixed bag. Most of the time I thought the jokes worked but sometimes it just tries too hard with the dialogue and comments and the constant blathering wears the whole experience down a bit.

I guess it's quite obvious but have you tried Grim Fandango (also by Tim Schaffer)? It's more "intellectual" and less slapstick than those games but so incredibly witty, charming and uncanny that you will fall in love with it right away, if you don't mind the keyboard-driven controls.

zobraks 03-28-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maladroid (Post 605192)
I second Discworld 2 (haven't played the first one) and I would also add Toonstruck. It's difficult to get a hold of it these days and possibly a bitch to get it running on today's hardware/OS but totally worth it.

Both games work flawlessly with ScummVM. Tried and proved.

maladroid 03-28-2012 06:04 AM

Really? That's excellent news. I've played Discworld 2 but never tried running Toonstruck through ScummVM. I have to give it a whirl, it's been some time now.

zobraks 03-28-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maladroid (Post 605244)
Really? That's excellent news.

Sure. Toonstruck is supported from ScummVM 1.3.0 on. :)
I played it last June.
It was one of the hardest games to start on any system, let alone XP and newer OSs.