Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Yesterday impressions (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30721-yesterday-impressions.html)

aimless 03-22-2012 10:04 PM

A harsh judgment on a game you haven't played.

Gabe 03-23-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonBird (Post 604700)
A newly developed adventure game without a full voice-acting doesn't deserve my money. We live the year 2012, not 1992!

You're not gonna play Stacking then.

SamandMax 03-23-2012 12:36 AM

I've really liked the little bit of what I've played but there is a bit of a disconnect between the cartoony graphics and the subject matter, I'm finding it's hard to take seriously as a thriller when it looks like a saturday morning cartoon.

MoonBird 03-23-2012 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe (Post 604704)
You're not gonna play Stacking then.

Never even heard of it. And the quick look at the screenshots confirms very quickly that I don't want to know more.

donatelli 03-23-2012 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonBird (Post 604700)
A newly developed adventure game without a full voice-acting doesn't deserve my money. We live the year 2012, not 1992!

The year of production has NOTHING to do with whether or not full-voice acting is possible. This is probably a small team on a small budget. The voice acting that is there is quite good. Get over yourself you snob.

Anyway, I've played about an hour or two; really enjoying it, much more than Runaway/Next Big Thing only because I am much more interested in the subject matter. I can see the argument of taking it seriously due to its visual style, but so far I have been able to discern the serious subject matter and the style without being too picky. Looking forward to dive into it more.

MoonBird 03-23-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donatelli (Post 604711)
This is probably a small team on a small budget.

Pendulo? Small? I would't say so. And their previous adventures have been fully voiced.

donatelli 03-23-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoonBird (Post 604735)
Pendulo? Small? I would't say so. And their previous adventures have been fully voiced.

20-25 people (give or take) isn't small? 25 may be high, considering there are people filling multiple roles. This is straight from the credits. The important, story-bits are voiced, and voiced exceptionally well. Oh well, you'll miss out on an amazing game because you can't be bothered unless there is full voice acting.

Peter254 03-23-2012 04:38 PM

I finished Yesterday in about five hours. A good game, with a story that turned out to be better than I thought; though it did feel like a scaled back version of what it could have been, with an obligatory rushed climax. But strangely enough for how short it is, I don't actually feel cheated or disappointed.

sharkam52 03-23-2012 04:50 PM

I also finished the game
and there were only 3 endings while the announcement of the game said that there were 4 possible endings
anyone know about the fourth ending ?

SamuelGordon 03-23-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharkam52 (Post 604780)
anyone know about the fourth ending ?

Well after finishing it i only got the three(no way you can do the puzzles in another way or get a better "score"). Even checked the newly posted gameboomers walkthrough,also three endings. I guess the perfect ending was never buying it in the first place.

sharkam52 03-24-2012 04:49 AM

Quote:

I guess the perfect ending was never buying it in the first place
hahaha

Adventurere No.1 03-24-2012 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelGordon (Post 604789)
I guess the perfect ending was never buying it in the first place.

Cracking, i cant stop laughing :D :D

HitBattousai 03-24-2012 10:00 AM

Just finished the game myself. Pretty good all-around, though the game is so easy that you pretty much just play through for the story, not the challenge of the puzzles. The story is interesting though, voice acting is ok, and the art style works surprisingly well for a darker game. The three endings are decent, but there isn't much variation between two of them. I will say the game is mega-short, can easily be finished within two hours if you hustled, and three or four on a slow playthrough.

Gabe 03-24-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamuelGordon (Post 604789)
I guess the perfect ending was never buying it in the first place.

Firm but fair review.

SamandMax 03-24-2012 11:19 PM

I love the production values - gorgeous graphics, great soundtrack, a high level of gloss and professionalism that's sometimes sadly lacking in commercial adventure games - but its extreme shortness is definitely a problem, especially when it leads to such a rushed storyline and thin characters. This is a really epic, ambitious plot that's being squeezed into a 3 -4 hour game so it just charges through everything whether or not it makes much sense. It's definitely the start of a series that has potential and I hope they can fully realize it in the inevitable sequels.

terhardp 03-25-2012 11:39 PM

Started playing it yesterday. :) The last few games I've played weren't typical P&C adventures, so it's an interesting and refreshing feeling to play such a game again. Plus, I'm enjoying it so far. It's got a story, characters, locations, atmosphere plus that unmistakeable Pendulo's handrawn charm. What else you could wish for in an adventure game..

jhetfield21 03-26-2012 11:28 AM

one off topic question.....is Yesterday only available in digital download?so far that's the only thing i've found.

Adventurere No.1 03-26-2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhetfield21 (Post 605041)
one off topic question.....is Yesterday only available in digital download?so far that's the only thing i've found.

until now i guess! even at Amazon appears only for digital distribution

Origami 03-26-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelgordon (Post 604789)
i guess the perfect ending was never buying it in the first place.

lol!

CoyoteAG 03-27-2012 02:22 PM

Well I'm glad I came here first or else I would have been REALLY disappointed in this game as I was so looking forward to it. I think I would have been pissed if I hadn't learned how short it was from here and that there are no voices on descriptions.

Knowing all the flaws, I still found myself somewhat disappointed. The story was pretty good but the puzzles were not good and I didn't much like the "look at/interact with" controls. I wasn't bothered by the inventory use as some seemed to be.

Oh well...I hope that Secret Files 3 doesn't disappoint.