Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Double Fine Adventure: How Much Did You Donate? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30719-double-fine-adventure-how-much-did-you-donate.html)

Adventure Games Forever 03-21-2012 01:35 PM

Double Fine Adventure: How Much Did You Donate?

The reason for this thread is to find out how much the forum posters of Adventure Gamers donated to the cause, and how this compared to the results as a whole. This will be very useful. No comments are necessary; just simply vote in the poll. For each choice, the + sign should read as “or more”.

Kurufinwe 03-21-2012 01:53 PM

If you want something representative, you might want to have an option for "did not donate".

millenia 03-21-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe (Post 604559)
If you want something representative, you might want to have an option for "did not donate".

That is not needed if the goal is just to compare this to the overall donations. But the option wouldn't hurt and then we'd have a different kind of statistic.

GreyFuss 03-21-2012 03:32 PM

Didn't donate anything as I was not a fan of any of their other games and don't see them making anything I would be interested in now. If after they release a new game and it interests me then I will support them by buying it. I am not holding out any hope though as I would think they would stick to the type of game they have made in the past for those who liked them. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that their other games are bad just not my cup of tea. Am I the only one that thinks this...probably not. Am I in the minority...most likely as all you have to do is look at what they have collected so far.

TimovieMan 03-22-2012 03:49 AM

I didn't donate, because they hadn't presented us with anything yet. All we had was "point-and-click adventure" and "don't know what it's going to be about". I won't support that. I'm a fan, but I don't have money to spare on what is basically little more than a vague concept (without an idea behind it).

Besides, I didn't have to donate. By the time I found out about the Kickstart, they'd already surpassed their needed budget (and that was like, what, 30 minutes after the launch?).

Also, now there's at least one guy still left to actually BUY the damn thing when it finally gets made... :D

dekaneas297 03-22-2012 03:57 AM

Err...nothing.

colpet 03-22-2012 04:30 AM

Like Greyfuss, I didn't donate because I don't like their previous games. I'll wait and judge the new game on it's own merit, but I won't prepay for an unknown.

Toefur 03-22-2012 05:42 AM

I actually didn't donate. I found the whole thing interesting, and I actually loved Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango (though I don't care for Tim Schafers recent games whatsoever), but there wasn't anything particularly compelling at this project that made me want to give some of my own money.

Something like Tex Murphy, on the other hand, I feel definitely requires an as large as possible donation. :)

Arial Type 03-22-2012 06:50 AM

Seems like adventure devs don't need adventure fans to make adventure games after all :D I did donate, since I trust anything Schafer and Gilbert are planning to make, but I don't see the point in sharing this info with others. It's a private matter, and it'll hardly help other developers with kickstarting. There are very few people in the industry this trustworthy.

aimless 03-22-2012 07:24 AM

There are only a couple of classic game makers I would throw my few bucks at to back a project without knowing what I'll be getting. Tim Schafer is one of them. It was Grim Fandango that hooked me on adventure games and very few have ever drawn me back time and again as it has. For that alone, I'd support his project.

The only thing that makes me regret that decision is that I can't join TimovieMan and stand out as one of the two who may actually BUY the damned thing after it's finished. :D

louiedog 03-22-2012 07:44 AM

I grew up playing Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle and I've loved every single Double Fine game that's come out. I had no hesitation donating especially since a bunch of those Double Fine games that I have were redeemed on XBLA/Steam with codes that I was given. At the very least it lets me give back for those.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aimless (Post 604649)
There are only a couple of classic game makers I would throw my few bucks at to back a project without knowing what I'll be getting. Tim Schafer is one of them. It was Grim Fandango that hooked me on adventure games and very few have ever drawn me back time and again as it has. For that alone, I'd support his project.

The only thing that makes me regret that decision is that I can't join TimovieMan and stand out as one of the two who may actually BUY the damned thing after it's finished. :D

You only get the PC/Mac/Linux version for backing. You could still buy a mobile version :)

millenia 03-22-2012 08:44 AM

I have Psychonauts and Costume Quest from Steam and I've tried the first. Seemed very nice actually and will continue it at some point, I mainly just went for the Christmas achievement there :). Will no doubt try the Costume Quest in the future also. Stacking is wishlisted and Brutal Legend isn't completely uninteresting either.

Add Monkey Island, DotT, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango. Oh dear. Who doesn't want to play this?

I backed with measly 18 dollars but that's because I'm broke.

aimless 03-22-2012 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenia (Post 604657)
I backed with measly 18 dollars but that's because I'm broke.

You have lots of company, millenia; 47,945 of us were broke, too. :D

rottford 03-22-2012 12:37 PM

I donated $100. Tim Schafer worked on the games that were a part of my childhood/adolescence, and I wanted to thank him by helping him create another game of a similar style.

I know I have no idea what the game is, but I do know this: He doesn't need a Kickstarter campaign to come out with a typical Double Fine game -- he needs it to come out with the kind of game no publisher would take on today.

And what kind of game is that? A classic point-and-click graphic adventure like those from the Golden Era. Therefore, we have every reason to believe he's going to deliver EXACTLY what we want. Don't you think?

And if there's one developer out there capable of making that kind of game today, it's good ol' Tim:)

thejobloshow 03-22-2012 11:42 PM

I wanted a boxed copy. So that much.

Schneckchen ^.^ 03-23-2012 01:44 AM

I didn't donate cause I wanna buy it when it actually comes out so that TIM gets my money to spend on whatever he wants to... not be forced into putting it into making some documentary :9

Dan_Dan_91_07 03-23-2012 11:17 AM

I was poor-ish so couldn't, otherwise I would have! :frown:

Oh yeah, could somebody post on the Revolution forum suggesting they use Kickstarter to raise money for Broken Sword 5 pretty please? :) I believe Broken Sword is another series that could do extremely well on there, I hear many people who are not 'that' into the genre saying that they hold the first two games extremely high in regard. I would pay so much to help that along! :9

Schneckchen ^.^ 03-23-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan_Dan_91_07 (Post 604754)
Oh yeah, could somebody post on the Revolution forum suggesting they use Kickstarter to raise money for Broken Sword 5 pretty please? :) I believe Broken Sword is another series that could do extremely well on there, I hear many people who are not 'that' into the genre saying that they hold the first two games extremely high in regard. I would pay so much to help that along! :9

Only if it's 2D :P

Dan_Dan_91_07 03-23-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ (Post 604757)
Only if it's 2D :P

hehe Yep, 2D is the way to go.

Gonchi 03-23-2012 03:52 PM

I didn't pledge. Basically TimovieMan's stance as well, I like Schafer's games, but I'm not willing to commit myself to purchase a game I know so little about, especially at $15 for only a digital download. Though if it'd been the Cole's asking for funding to make another QFG, or Jane Jensen for GK4, I'm pretty sure I'd blindly throw some money at them.