You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure true adventures dont use controllers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default true adventures dont use controllers?

i read this somewhere on the Facebook,yeah which made me think that:

Most of us if i can say (us) plays Adventures on PC, or at least the adventure games meant for PC.
usually with the Mouse(point&Click) and Rarely with Keyboard(direct Control) but it seems that publishers now found a new big market on PS , Wii and Xbox so that questions are:
1 how many people uses platforms other than PC for Playing Adventures here?
2 should we expect later on that ALL NEW PC Adventures will have a late or the latest release after all those mentioned platform's ?

i am thinking to buy a PS3 seriously, i just need to know if it became actually essentially for Adventure Gamers!

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-20-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:14 AM   #2

I have completed Monkey Island 1 & 2 on my Xbox 360 and the option to control Guybrush with the controller or cursors is a good addition to the game. Plus earning achievement/trophies gives you satisfaction when you collect them all so you can get more play out of your games rather than just completing them. To be fair I've been playing Point and Click games on many consoles over the years.

I've played broken sword 1 and 2 on PlayStation 1, gameboy advance and iPhone. Discworld 1 and 2 on PlayStation 1, Blazing Dragons on Sega Saturn and countless others. It's a genre suited to most consoles and it's a very adaptable one so I believe it doesn't matter what console you're using. My new favourite way to play point and click games is on my iPhone. It feels right and you instantly just know what to do without fiddling and learning new controls.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #3
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendLongy View Post
To be fair I've been playing Point and Click games on many consoles over the years.
to be honest man i never played an adventure on any other console better than my Laptop.. because simply i never had else ..
now dont cry for me .. i just hate all those (I) technologies and 2nd i only play Adventures and that makes always satisfied .

Old 03-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
to be honest man i never played an adventure on any other console better than my Laptop.. because simply i never had else ..
now dont cry for me .. i just hate all those (I) technologies and 2nd i only play Adventures and that makes always satisfied .
To be fair to you there is nothing wrong with playing games on PC. Most PCs these days are the most powerful consoles to play video games, the only downfall is them damn modders grrr *waves walkingstick*.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
i am thinking to buy a PS3 seriously, i just need to know if it became actually essentially for Adventure Gamers!
If you're getting a PS3 just for adventure games, I wouldn't do it. I own a PS3 and I love it but I don't play any adventure games on it (besides Heavy Rain if you want to consider that and Adventure game.)
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneckchen ^.^ View Post
besides Heavy Rain if you want to consider that and Adventure game.
I was tempted to buy a PS3 purely for this game. It's from the makers of Fahrenheit is it not?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #7

It's not worth it buying the PS3 just for heavy Rain, a game which consists of 90% watching and 10% gaming. After all the XBOX360 is a better console than the PS3 and of course heavy rain is not an Adventure game. In my opinion it is better to control the main character in an adventure game with gamepad and not with keyboard. The gamepad is more similar to mouse, which is the original peripheral for adventure gaming. The only exception here are the text adventures which can be controlled only with the keyboard since typing is requied.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:31 PM   #8
Psychonaut

I don't believe that control method is essential to adventure games.

I've had a lot of fun with adventure games on the PS3, Xbox360, iPad and DS. (BTW IMO the Xbox360 is not the better console and Heavy Rain is most definatly an adventure game)

Gamepads are a valid method of control. In fact I recently played Grim Fandango and i'm currently replaying Dreamfall with a gamepad.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #9

When I played adventure games like Discworld on my PSOne, I used a Playstation mouse. However I thought Still Life worked fine on my XBox using the XBox controller. And I needed both controller and mouse to play Dreamfall on my PC -- controller for most things, but mouse for the lock sequences. So I think it depends on the game and the control scheme created for it.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
I was tempted to buy a PS3 purely for this game. It's from the makers of Fahrenheit is it not?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsampikos View Post
After all the XBOX360 is a better console than the PS3
No.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #11

The title of this thread reminds me of - (true) plumbers don't wear ties :

I remember what a relief was to have a joystick when i was playing X-Wing & Tie Fighter on PC, instead of constant "doggy" movement up-down with my hand. But, i don't see how controller can reinvent the wheel if it's point & click, actually i think some puzzles in Monkey Island SE had problems with the controller, like the one with mugs of grog.

So controller can ease the things only if there's some action required, or if the gameplay is so "light", like in Fahreinheit-esque or interactive movie games that you can sit on your sofa and wait for a quick time event.

The Biggest Adventure of the Past, Present and Future!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Sweet Jesus... it's turned into a Xbox 360 vs PS3 thread!! Well I hope your happy Adventurere No.1 ha ha! Both consoles are the same except one has blu-ray. Now that little problem is out of the way people can continue with the discussion in hand. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
Advie.1

Quote:
Sweet Jesus... it's turned into a Xbox 360 vs PS3 thread!! Well I hope your happy Adventurere No.1 ha ha! Both consoles are the same except one has blu-ray. Now that little problem is out of the way people can continue with the discussion in hand. Thank you.
Hehe

well .. if i look at the bright side LegendlongyStan i guess that is fairly enough to answer my questions

Old 03-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #14

I played Grim Fandango with gamepad and had no problem at all. In fact you can get used to it as easy as if you were using a mouse. The keyboard was never a logigal controls options. The keys of the keyboard are there for programming and for typing in the office suite.

PS: In most game comparisons the XBOX360 games are higher rated than the ones of PS3.Latest example Mass Effect 3. XBOX is capable also of much better organic graphics. The only advantage of the PS3 Blu Ray is the possiblity to watch Blu Ray movies, although this may likely not last for long due to the rediculusly bad Blu Ray reader head Technology of Sony.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #15

I play all of my adventure games on a Nintendo Dsi XL. The Xbox360 and PS3, while good machines didn't have enough adventure games on them for me to purchase.

And I also prefer playing adventure games using a touch screen interface.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #16
She Wants Revenge

Yeah DS with stylus and D-pad works well. Point&click games with xbox or PS controller is not my idea of fun though. But I'm completely okay with it in stuff like Fahrenheit or Dreamfall, or any other game where the movement scheme is not made solely for mouse.

I played the first Broken Sword with PS and the basic controller and not going to do that shit again.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:47 AM   #17

I've got a PS3 but as I only have 1 game for it Heavy Rain I use it mostly to watch DVDs or play CDs.

I know some of the older p & c games made for PS1 could be played using a mouse. Similarly I've used a gamepad to play a couple of games on PC including Dreamfall as I found it easier than using the keyboard.