You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Computer Chronicles - preview of Journeyman Project 2 and Phantasmagoria

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Default Computer Chronicles - preview of Journeyman Project 2 and Phantasmagoria

I thought you guys might enjoy a blast from the past. Did anyone else watch this PBS show, Computer Chronicles?

I remember watching this specific episode sometime during 1995/1996, when these games came out. The designers of a few games made appearances, including Roberta Williams herself. She seems a bit shy in front of the camera.

What's funny is that the Phantasmagoria segment basically gives away the climax of the game. I wonder if this episode aired before or after release, since maybe Sierra was trying to market the game in a certain way to boost sales.

The CC host keeps interrupting Roberta but she briefly mentions her next project is a 3rd person adventure game in a fully 3D world. Although KQ8 wasn't received too well among the masses (from what I understand), I think it was still a revolutionary step forward. I know the point is moot, but it's too bad that Sierra's adventure focus began to deteriorate around the late 90s.

I also like when Michel Kripaloni previews Buried in Time and says a 33 Mhz 486 PC is required. LOL @ 40-50 hours of gameplay. Many studios used to overestimate the playtime for their games.

Sigh...bittersweet childhood nostalgia.

Hope this isn't too OT for this subforum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q5K1_O4yr4

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown

Last edited by inm8#2; 03-17-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #2

Though I believe that MoE did sell fairly well. In fact, I remember that after the then Tierra first released their KQ1VGA, the MoE shortly became VU's number one seller. I am not necessarily saying that there was any cause and effect, just curious that that there was a spike in sales afterwards.