You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All Adventurers in all the Adventures, are Cons & Thieves!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
Advie.1

Default All Adventurers in all the Adventures, are Cons & Thieves!!

ok it sounds like a joke, and yes it is !! but the irony is that you are always supposed to be the good guy, but as the same time you can do whatever you want with all NPCs you encounter .

you can trick a policeman for making him leave his post and steal his motorcycle ,go scooping around ,taking anything you want as long as it optional and it doesn't matter if its on someone else's Desk, in a Room or even into a secured safe.
put some kind of tranquilizers in a cup of coffee that belongs to someone(while he not aware) just to get past him, lie about your identity or snatch an ID-card from someone's pocket's....
because end justify the meaning , .. ... or maybe you are on a mission to save the world !! soo what the heck!? ....

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-17-2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:23 PM   #2

edit - redacted to avoid confusion

I can't think of any adventure game hero who doesn't con his/her way to get something or commit theft at some point during a game. But, it's done for a larger purpose and not for the sake of doing something bad, so we condone.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown

Last edited by inm8#2; 03-17-2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

@inm8#2: Do you always accuse people of trolling before using your brain? A troll wouldn't raise some valid points, now would he? I'm sick and tired of such baseless accusations that are raised just because certain opinions are considered to be out of whack.

@Adventurere No.1: Kleptomania is a trait certainly shared by a many adventure game protagonist. As a gamer it's always a wise tactic to take everything with you that isn't nailed down (and even sometimes then!), no matter to whom the item in question might belong to. Often the design encourages to trick NPCs into not noticing that you're stealing something from them.
Just like Nathan Drake is a mass murderer and still remains a good guy, pretty much all adventure protagonists are dirty thiefs.

Last edited by ozzie; 03-16-2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Lazy Bee

Having recently finished Syberia I must say I felt bad about...

Spoiler:
not being able to turn the dam back into it's original state before leaving.

Silly, I know!
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #5
cookie monster

As u said Adventurere No.1 - "The End Justifies The Means"
Also, ozzie already pointed out what i wanted to say - most heroes in action games are unstoppable killers.
Well, maybe its good then that we can let our inner demons out in games.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #6

I always liked how the inventory was handled in Gabriel Knight 1. All the things Gabe acquired were just the right size to fit into a coat's pocket, and he never actually stole anything from anyone... except for a priest's robe and collar))
Old 03-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Advie.1

i am really sick off it, if some admin here doesnt like my threads or posts ...Pleaaaase block me or report them.
and inm8#2 if you see it that way i myself see it as a not common post or more like a view for adventures that some havent the guts to bring it up ... because they think its not worth mentioning.... and then ....well what the heck i tell you if that was a troll then it was an excellent ...one.

and ozzie thanks for support
and jelena too, it is not silly at all, i think it is brave to express your feelings toward the tiniest thing that most people wouldnt feel or dare to .

Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
lost in rubacava

Well, you've got my support to, Advie.1. I'd never really thought about how many ...er, questionable things heroes in adventure games do in pursuit of whatever they're pursuing. Interesting thought. Now I'm trying to think of one who is pure as the driven snow.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Now I'm trying to think of one who is pure as the driven snow.
i thought about that too and came close to think about peter wright i remember that whenever he wanted to pick something up that didn't belong to him ,he always said "i will need to talk to (however owner) first" and he also traded that photo and the alien doll fairly with tommy,

but i am not totally sure he was pure all through the game as the driven snow like you mentioned,and that only for taking that Wire of that crazy Guru tent .

(but i guess that shouldn't be counted as stealing or something ?!! as the guy was already, totally wasted)

Old 03-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
@inm8#2: Do you always accuse people of trolling before using your brain? A troll wouldn't raise some valid points, now would he? I'm sick and tired of such baseless accusations that are raised just because certain opinions are considered to be out of whack.
It's a joke...not serious...

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #11
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
It's a joke...not serious...
That's good to know. You could have fooled me.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #12

Hahaha, how I laughed...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
Homo Ludens

Game designers are often aware of that irony. This reminds me of a scene in the first Discworld game: Rincewind is talking to a couple of city watchmen, who mention matter-of-factly that they are investigating a perplexing rash of small object disappearances all over the city.

That was the first time that it occurred to me that a) there is something unethical and certainly illegal in what most typical adventure game protagonists do as a matter of course; and b) that is something I would never do in real life Certainly affected my suspension of disbelief for good...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
lost in rubacava

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
That was the first time that it occurred to me that a) there is something unethical and certainly illegal in what most typical adventure game protagonists do as a matter of course; and b) that is something I would never do in real life Certainly affected my suspension of disbelief for good...
Not me. I'm so damned good in real life I love being at least a little bad in an adventure game.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #15
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

I think it would be interesting to see an adventure game produced with this in mind.
There would still be all the items you could take/steal in order to solve the current puzzle, but there would also be some other way of solving it without having to resort to dishonest means,, such as ruining someone's work on a mayan artifact just because you needed to use the machine she was working with
So, you would have to look around and think very carefully to solve the puzzle in an honest way, and if you could not, or couldn't be bothered to do that, then there would be rammifications which could possibly affect the ending?

I don't know - does that sound crazy? I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to implement

Please feel free to correct me if this has already been done
Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Senior Automaton

Well in Quest for Glory by definition if you're a Paladin you can't steal, since you're supposed to be true and honorable an all that. But I think you only lose a few honor points so it's not a problem. No different from any RPG really.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
Schättenjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
All Adventurers in all the Adventures, are Cons & Thieves!!
Yes adventurers are petit criminals.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:35 AM   #18
Psychonaut

It keeps my real life kleptomania under control.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #19
Schättenjager

I wonder it helps developing cleptomania on addicted players at early ages. (below 16)
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 AM   #20

Adventure games should be ashamed of themselves. Maybe they shoud be penalised