You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure All Adventurers in all the Adventures, are Cons & Thieves!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 04:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
It's a joke...not serious...
@inm8#2 I didn't see your post as anything OTHER than a joke -- and quite a hilarious one, at that
Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #22
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71 View Post
I think it would be interesting to see an adventure game produced with this in mind.
There would still be all the items you could take/steal in order to solve the current puzzle, but there would also be some other way of solving it without having to resort to dishonest means,
I don't know - does that sound crazy? I'm sure it wouldn't be difficult to implement

Please feel free to correct me if this has already been done
i think it beautiful idea that will also add a new theme/feature to adventures, it just need to be crafted well and some developer features it in a game and i am sure all games will contain it later on and it will be followed

Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #23
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhunter71 View Post
I think it would be interesting to see an adventure game produced with this in mind.
There would still be all the items you could take/steal in order to solve the current puzzle, but there would also be some other way of solving it without having to resort to dishonest means,, such as ruining someone's work on a mayan artifact just because you needed to use the machine she was working with
So, you would have to look around and think very carefully to solve the puzzle in an honest way, and if you could not, or couldn't be bothered to do that, then there would be rammifications which could possibly affect the ending?
That sounds so amazing; you should do it!

I've always felt slightly uncomfortable with all of the stealing and lying that goes on in adventure games. I didn't really notice it until "The Longest Journey", where April comments on being bad.

And like in a scene in "The Lost Crown" where you have to steal something, I kept finding myself wanting to buy it, or any other way besides stealing.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #24
She Wants Revenge

I like to pretend I am Karma. When the aim is some dickhead character I like nothing more than doing some mischief, but I honestly feel bad when you have to cheat or steal from nice guys. I always try to return the stuff I take, it was actually one of the good things in Lost Horizon how you could return the loaned item and you this good deed even got acknowledged in the game (it was achievement, or extra or something).
Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM   #25

I toyed with this a bit when wrote a game. The main character constantly cons and tricks people, but this is played as a sign that he's mentally unstable.

He lives to solve problems and pursue his agenda. When he starts to feel misgivings it's character development.

I doubt that most designers are too reflective about this. Some play it for laughs, and others treat it as standard genre convention. There are a few adventures that implement a karma meter, with less socially maladjusted solutions getting a little bit of an incentive, but most don't.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #26

In a Nancy Drew game, she is rewarded with an Easter Egg if she attempts to return an envelope to its' puzzle box.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #27
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
That sounds so amazing; you should do it!
Hahaha
If programming was my thing then I would - I'm sure it cant be too hard to implement, but unfortunately, my skills lie elsewhere
Old 03-18-2012, 05:04 AM   #28
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchOfDoubt View Post

I doubt that most designers are too reflective about this. Some play it for laughs, and others treat it as standard genre convention. There are a few adventures that implement a karma meter, with less socially maladjusted solutions getting a little bit of an incentive, but most don't.
Thats such a shame though - why is that I wonder?
It's done a lot in RPGs, why not in adventures?
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 AM   #29
Space Cadet

A recent game I played ( think it was Dracula ) the main character
would quote " This looks useful, I'm taking it" mercenary all the way whether
looting church, private house or even the odd crypt

Maybe a bit of pilfering does not count when you do battle with the undead..

PS I could not resist that pun

Last edited by Harleyhog; 03-18-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #30

As a kid, I never realized how much of a jerk Guybrush Threepwood actually is -- especially in the first and second MI games. But when I was in college, I roomed with a fellow MI fan who really opened my eyes. A few horrible things Guybrush does:

He saws off an amputee's peg leg, digs up and disturbs the dead, steals a monacle from a visually impaired child, fixes a spitting contest, poisons dogs, sinks a ship with his crew on it (albeit by accident), kills a perfectly harmless ghost (Bob), gets Stan's clock cleaned by LeChuck, breaks into the governor's mansion to steal the Idol of Many Hands, intoxicates a ghost rat, and breaks into a shopkeeper's safe to steal credit notes.

That's pretty damn rude.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
As a kid, I never realized how much of a jerk Guybrush Threepwood actually is -- especially in the first and second MI games. But when I was in college, I roomed with a fellow MI fan who really opened my eyes. A few horrible things Guybrush does:

He saws off an amputee's peg leg, digs up and disturbs the dead, steals a monacle from a visually impaired child, fixes a spitting contest, poisons dogs, sinks a ship with his crew on it (albeit by accident), kills a perfectly harmless ghost (Bob), gets Stan's clock cleaned by LeChuck, breaks into the governor's mansion to steal the Idol of Many Hands, intoxicates a ghost rat, and breaks into a shopkeeper's safe to steal credit notes.

That's pretty damn rude.
I think it's (mostly) a matter of setting, sub-genre and overall nature of the character.

I just recently re-read Karlsson-on-the-Roof by Astrid Lindgren. On the surface, Karlsson is the most terrible person imaginable. But in his bizarre, uncompromising anarchy, he is ultimately very appealing and likeable -- especially for (but not limited to) kids. He has a good heart.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #32
Space Cadet

Guybrush Threepwood, So you wouldn't go for a beer with him?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:53 AM   #33
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr View Post
I
I just recently re-read Karlsson-on-the-Roof by Astrid Lindgren. On the surface, Karlsson is the most terrible person imaginable. But in his bizarre, uncompromising anarchy, he is ultimately very appealing and likeable -- especially for (but not limited to) kids. He has a good heart.
'Karlsson på taket' was one of my favourite Astrid Lindgren books when I grew up. Ah, the memories and the horrors of what he would do and say!
Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
poisons dogs
They were not dead, just sleeping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gantefoehr View Post
In the Russian translation and cartoon adaptation he is even better, a very funny character loved by generations:

Last edited by Arial Type; 03-18-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #35
It's a secret.

Trickster figures fulfill that hidden fantasy of being above the rules, sly, cunning, the cleverest person in the room. Anyone who's ever peeked behind an Employees Only door ought to understand why these anti-heroes hold such enduring appeal.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:12 AM   #36

Yes, that's true. Adventure gaming in real life would get yourself arrested. And yes some adventure game characters are downright cruel in their methods to solve a puzzle lol. It's not something I usually think about too much, but I probably will now.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #37
Psychonaut

SO whats the most despicable thing you have done in the name of adventure games.

I remember sticking a hamster in a microwave, duct-taping a mobile phone to a cat (I imagine one bald patched cat once the tape is ripped off which I could then use to make a fake ID *Nudge nudge*) and even had to cut off my own finger.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #38
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
SO whats the most despicable thing you have done in the name of adventure games.

and even had to cut off my own finger.
you reminded me of Midnight Nowhere when the hero had to cut a dead body's finger off to use it for a fingerprint scanner lock... which also made me think that we shouldnt mix Adventurer desperate actions with the unreasonable cruel ones ...

Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #39

Quote:

I remember [...] duct-taping a mobile phone to a cat (I imagine one bald patched cat once the tape is ripped off which I could then use to make a fake ID *Nudge nudge*) [...]
Talking about Secret Files: I think the lemon incident is the best example for psychopathic behavior of an adventure game protagonist right there!
I only played the demo, so I also remember the cat puzzle, but what you have to do for this lemon...it boggled my mind when I read about it. Don't remember details, though.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #40
Advie.1

Quote:
even had to cut off my own finger.
so you meant that that did actually happen on one Game, i thought you were just giving an example .....of how sick!
Damn ! what game was that anyway?!