Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tex Murphy seems to be back (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30649-tex-murphy-seems-back.html)

inm8#2 03-20-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 604472)
I'm not trying to cheer up Jones or anything, I seriously think he looks good as new :) At least in this short video. He must be between 50 and 60 now, right?

And as for a wide appeal of Tex, I'm sure they'll use this time wisely and come up with some sort of campaign by the 15th of May. They might advertise it on GOG, or release Tex Murphy games for free, or make some short movies with Chris and his Hollywood friends. And outside adventure community Access was also famous for the Links Golf series - they might remind about it as well.

I feel ya about how Jones looks. I guess I meant to say he looks great but with some natural aging. Great to see Tex just like we remember him.

I agree about the campaign idea. I'd love to see this game distributed on GOG. In fact, I'd like to see some of the other Kickstarters use GOG or similar distribution services that are truly DRM-free (which Steam is not, as you need to run Steam to run Steam games).

tsampikos 03-20-2012 10:55 PM

There is no comparison between GOG and Steam. GOG offers DRM free games, and the most important is that they are yours. you pay you keep it. On the contrary Steam games are not DRM free (which definetly increases piracy) and the most important you pay for something that it's not yours. A GOG and a retail version of the new Tex Murphy game could bring tons of money to big finish games.

Ark7 03-20-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 604434)
its official!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodOPoyNIYg

Hmmm, waiting until may 15th to start the kickstarter? i dunno what i think of that, maybe a good move.

I am not convinced such a delay is good. I hope I am wrong though and the campaign will be successful.

orient 03-21-2012 01:00 AM

Holding off on the campaign will only build anticipation. Waiting won't deter the people that want to give money, though it may frustrate hardcore Tex fans who just want to give their money now :P

Great news, by the way, even though I haven't played the Tex Murphy games I bought from GOG yet :frusty:

diego 03-21-2012 03:09 AM

I'm happy because of two things - of course i'm happy to see Tex Murphy series back, but since i've played only slices of Martian Memorandum and Overseer i'm not what you could call the fan (yet). But the other thing - it also means the big comeback of FMVs, with one of its most popular franchises. Who knows, maybe it's the second FMV glory age. :D

Kolorabi 03-21-2012 04:11 AM

This'll be the first time I treat a Kickstarter-donation as anything more than a pre-order. I really, really want this.

Ark7 03-21-2012 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orient (Post 604490)
Holding off on the campaign will only build anticipation. Waiting won't deter the people that want to give money, though it may frustrate hardcore Tex fans who just want to give their money now :P

I think the hardcore fans will donate regardless of the date of the campaign. But now when Kickstarter is talked about on lots of gaming websites is best time to start the campaign in my opinion. It could grab attention of people who are not hardcore fans or don't even know Tex Murphy. Later maybe only the fans will remain. But as I said - I may be wrong and hope so.

DustyShinigami 03-21-2012 05:24 AM

This is excellent news! I can't wait for the campaign to start. I also hope it gets a decent amount of exposure/coverage in the mainstream press, like Tim Schafer's did.

Adventure Games Forever 04-05-2012 09:02 PM

Day One Let’s Play Preview

I posted a Day One Let’s Play Preview of Under a Killing Moon. This serves as a demo of the first (of six) chapters in Under a Killing Moon. If you ever wanted a preview of what it’s like to play a Tex game, this video is a great place to start! This video shows the highlights of the first chapter without giving any spoilers for the rest of the game. The case that Tex solves for Day One is kind of like a large “introduction” case to Tex Murphy and his world, and does not have anything to do with the game’s main case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6VwW2MZIQI

VampireNaomi 04-06-2012 09:42 AM

I'd love to give my money to this more than to any of the other Kickstarter projects, but from the looks of it, I can't since I have no credit card for Amazon payments and don't live in the US.

Tex Murphy is probably my favourite game series ever. It's nearly perfect, and I'd be here forever if I listed everything that I love about it. I really hope that something good comes out of this project.

millenia 04-06-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VampireNaomi (Post 606617)
I'd love to give my money to this more than to any of the other Kickstarter projects, but from the looks of it, I can't since I have no credit card for Amazon payments and don't live in the US.

Tex Murphy is probably my favourite game series ever. It's nearly perfect, and I'd be here forever if I listed everything that I love about it. I really hope that something good comes out of this project.

I have been paying kickstarter donations just fine with my Visa Electron. And also ordered stuff from Amazon. I'm sure you can get one of those :).

VampireNaomi 04-06-2012 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenia (Post 606619)
I have been paying kickstarter donations just fine with my Visa Electron. And also ordered stuff from Amazon. I'm sure you can get one of those :).

Really? I've used my Visa Electron for the British and German versions of Amazon, but somehow I was always under the impression that it wouldn't work for the American one, so I assumed Kickstarter would be a no-no for me. But great news! Thanks, I'll be off to take care of the technicalities so that I'm ready to throw money away in May.

Edit: I think it would be great to get e-books of the novelizations of the earlier games if you pledge a certain amount of money. I have The Pandora Directive novelization on my shelf, but the prices people ask for Under a Killing Moon are so ridiculous that I doubt I'll ever have the heart to buy a used copy of it.

Banter 04-06-2012 02:00 PM

I think the delay is good. It is certainly not reasonable to pile up on kickstarters. By then many currently ongoing adventure kickstarters will be over and "adventure gamer funds" will be freed for this and whatever else is going on. Many developers jumped on this quickly for fear the kickstarter craze would fast die off, but I doubt it will. I think it is here to stay and holding back just a little bit like Jones did is a smart move.

I will be pledging to this and I am quite sure it will be a hit. Granted, Tex doesn't have the pull of Gabriel Knight, Leisure Suit Larry and the Schaffer/Gilbert duo... HOWEVER(and it is a great "however") it is the only adventure kickstarter so far which is actually bringing back one of the old series we love and not just offering remakes or a new series by a classic developer. They are actually bringing back a classic, and that will make people much more passionate about this.

Toefur 04-06-2012 10:12 PM

I wonder how much money they're looking to raise for this...

Anyway, if anyone is concerned that they won't be able to throw their hard earned money at a new Tex Murphy game via Kickstarter for whatever reason - I strongly suggest heading over to the Big Finish Games website and mentioning that they may wish to add another payment option for those that can't pay via kickstarter.

Not sure how much of a good and/or bad idea is, but I know one of the current kickstarter projects advertised that they also were taking donations via Paypal.

Lhurgoyf 04-06-2012 10:55 PM

Paypal donations can be implemented only AFTER a successful funding on Kickstarter. If the funding is unsuccessful, it would be difficult (or too much hassle) to return the money to donators.

Kurufinwe 04-06-2012 11:05 PM

I know this is not helping, but I have to say that I'll never understand why there are still some countries where Visa cards are not standard. This feels so pointlessly limiting, especially in these days of Internet purchases. (And this has nothing to do with debit/credit. I've only ever had debit cards, both in France and in the US, and they've always been Visa cards.)

Anyway, sorry for this gratuitous off-topic post. :P

Toefur 04-17-2012 06:29 AM

Ahem. Figured this post needed a bit of bumping... :)

Just under a month to wait now, so I wanted to share a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uELOLJefoSo

This is one of the Tex Murphy testimonals, but at about 6:30 the guy has done a version of the opening for Under a Killing Moon, a bit fancier than 1994 standards. The whole video is worth a watch though.

Sooooo excited.:9

Just watched this one as well that someone has put together: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2ee...eature=related

JackVanian 04-27-2012 01:35 PM

We (Adventure-Treff) have just posted my new interview. This time I had the pleasure to ask Chris Jones lots of questions about the new Tex Murphy game, Kickstarter, but also the history of Access and Tex Murphy in general.
Hope you'll enjoy it! :)
Here's the link:
http://www.adventure-treff.de/artike...id=90&lang=eng

Toefur 05-10-2012 06:05 PM

Well... only a few days left to wait now.

Are you getting excited???? I know I am.

I have to leave for a conference on the 15th, so I am hoping there will be an opportunity to get online and be one of the first backers...

I hope you've all been saving your pennies!

Adventure Games Forever 05-10-2012 08:19 PM

I’m very excited! I will be donating TONS of money the second it goes live!