Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tex Murphy seems to be back (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30649-tex-murphy-seems-back.html)

fov 03-16-2012 06:36 PM

Do you subscribe to the magazine, Lucien? Or did you get it on the newsstand?

Knowing how it can be hard to keep print stories in sync with online PR plans, I'm wondering if that box was meant to tease (or support) this very announcement...

Lucien21 03-17-2012 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fov (Post 603955)
Do you subscribe to the magazine, Lucien? Or did you get it on the newsstand?

Knowing how it can be hard to keep print stories in sync with online PR plans, I'm wondering if that box was meant to tease (or support) this very announcement...

I bought it at my local Sainsbury's (A supermarket in the UK).

millenia 03-17-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumgas (Post 603932)
after the 3 cards to midnight & deadtime they did a contract game for playfirst, murder island-secret of tantalus, then under big finish games the next game was - escape from thunder island & on 29th feb their latest title which is a sequel .

Thanks, are they any good? I'm not a fan of HoGs but I've enjoyed some hybrid type of games, 3 card games with the word plays were actually quite fun. The most important thing would be the story, I definitely would play all the hidden object scenes in the world for a great story.

Might grab those from next BigFish sale if they're worth it.

plumgas 03-17-2012 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenia (Post 604020)
Thanks, are they any good? I'm not a fan of HoGs but I've enjoyed some hybrid type of games, 3 card games with the word plays were actually quite fun. The most important thing would be the story, I definitely would play all the hidden object scenes in the world for a great story.

Might grab those from next BigFish sale if they're worth it.

you can get thunder island on big fish & the new one is getting there soon.
the murder island I liked the best & it had the lowest budget.

plumgas 03-17-2012 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucien21 (Post 603979)
I bought it at my local Sainsbury's (A supermarket in the UK).

its true I got a friend to buy it in the uk & he has confirmed the article.
We are not mentioning the words in the little box as we don't want to spoil chris jones thunder.

MoP 03-20-2012 07:23 AM

Just to keep your imagination going while we wait with baited breath...
http://www.games.co.il/loadedFiles/t...hy19032012.jpg

zane 03-20-2012 08:12 AM

I await some good news...
If this does turn out to be real, and a kickstarter, i hope they made a really good video for it.

EDIT: Well, it would just be too strange if it was a hoax.... so now im leaning towards it being real.. hopefully we get somthing concrete tonight.

MoP 03-20-2012 02:44 PM

Here we go:

Plan 9 - Finally! An Announcement!

Project Fedora Kickstarter Announcement - YouTube

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Jones
Well, as many of you have suspected (or possibly read in “GamesTM”) we are working on a new Tex Murphy game. (Better late than never, right?... right? )
We made a decision within the past few months that now was the time to complete the Tex Storyline. We could not wait any longer. We agreed that we needed to finish the story, although it had to be a more "modest" game design since Big Finish Games is a small gaming studio.

However, with the recent Kickstarter success stories for other Adventure Games - Double Fine Adventure & Wasteland 2 - we saw an opportunity to create a game of a larger scale. So, with that in mind, we hope to bring the next Tex Murphy game to an a much bigger, dare I say, epic level - More actors, locations, broader stories and yes - even meaningful, varied story paths. With these elements, we have a better chance of expanding the audience and a better chance of commercial success and continuation. All of this would allow us to make a true Adventure game with Immersive 3D world, Full Motion Video, and longer game play.
On May 15, we are going to launch a Kickstarter page to help raise funding for the project. As we prepare to film the Kickstarter video, we’re interested in feedback from you guys about what fundraising incentives you would like to see. Old Games? New Games? Tote Bags? T-Shirts, Posters, Artwork, Autographs, dinner for two? Dinner for three? Carl Kasell’s voice on your home answering machine? Let us know!

We also to get you involved in making the video. We want “Tex Murphy Testimonials” – written or video testimonials about what you loved about the prior games. We will incorporate some of these testimonials into our video and post others on our website or YouTube page.
If you would like to send us feedback or get involved, please fill out the form on Big Finish’s contact page: http://bigfinishgames.com/contact

Thank you for sticking with us! We've really appreciated your patience and loyalty and hope to give you guys an awesome game!

Thanks,
Chris

zane 03-20-2012 02:45 PM

its official!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GodOPoyNIYg

Hmmm, waiting until may 15th to start the kickstarter? i dunno what i think of that, maybe a good move.

Funktion 03-20-2012 03:04 PM

I spent most of that video thinking to myself: can they make a new Tex Murphy game work in this day and age (especially considering their recent titles)?

And then that last 45 seconds made me jump around on my chair... :D

diego 03-20-2012 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 604434)
Hmmm, waiting until may 15th to start the kickstarter? i dunno what i think of that, maybe a good move.

I'm a happy man - just so i can play all of TM games until then. :D

Arial Type 03-20-2012 03:41 PM

Wow, Chris Jones hasn't aged at all! And I'm glad they are gonna make it 3D and FMV, wouldn't want to see a step back to 2.5D. Great news.

Toefur 03-20-2012 03:49 PM

Woooooohoo. Can't wait. Though May 15 is ages away!!!

Gonzosports 03-20-2012 03:50 PM

Keep in mind - for this to happen, fans of the series must be willing to fund it. They need to reach their funding goal (did they mention what it will be?).

I have only played one Tex Murphy game (a really old one which left me confuseled) but I will support this in the $100 range just to keep old school adventure games coming, to continue supporting great games without interference from meddling publishers, and to reward the passion and support of the adventure community.

But - beyond me, does Tex Murphy have enough fans to get the support needed? Tex Murphy doesn't have the name power of Interplay (Brian Fargo) and certainly not Tim Schafer (Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle...not to mention Psychonauts and Brutal Legend).

Are old school gamers and adventure game fans ENOUGH to make this happen? Are there enough Tex Murphy fans out there?

I certainly hope so, but I'm worried. (I also worry when we'll reach KS fatigue, but I hope it's not for a long, long, long, long time.)

I truly believe Kickstarter is the greatest website Q@$(%* ever.

Gonzosports 03-20-2012 03:53 PM

While I'm here, I hope everyone is also supporting Wasteland 2 (not a computer game but definitely donating is a swift kick in the knees to poohead publishers) and The Banner Saga (again, not a "classic adventure" (whatever that means) because the success of those games could mean bringing back not JUST sequesl and further adventures in adventure series we love...

...but providing support to the talented developers we love.

Seriously - I hope Jane Jensen is paying attention. The whole debacle of "Grey Matter's" 948 years of development could have been avoided.

inm8#2 03-20-2012 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arial Type (Post 604441)
Wow, Chris Jones hasn't aged at all! And I'm glad they are gonna make it 3D and FMV, wouldn't want to see a step back to 2.5D. Great news.

With all due respect it's clear he has aged. It's been 14 years since Overseer.

Aging is natural. Nothing to be ashamed of. He looks to be in good health but that doesn't mean he hasn't aged. There's some wrinkling in there.

I wonder how Tex's aging and/or a time jump will factor into the plot, as the ending of Overseer was somewhat of a cliffhanger.

thejobloshow 03-20-2012 07:16 PM

Good god, I did NOT see this coming... I recently bought a big box copy of Under a Killing Moon in January and played it for the first time. I guess I have an incentive to finish it now...

Kickstarter is just spoiling me so much at this point that it's making me misty eyed. If crowdsourcing had become popular in the late 90s I don't think adventure games would have ever stagnated. This is remarkable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonzosports (Post 604444)
Seriously - I hope Jane Jensen is paying attention. The whole debacle of "Grey Matter's" 948 years of development could have been avoided.

Hell, someone get Scott Murphy on the phone and tell him it's time to bring Roger back.

Toefur 03-20-2012 07:48 PM

Gonzosports, I too am a little concerned about Tex's wide appeal and don't know if it has a large enough fan base to support it via a Kickstarter project. Either way, I will be supporting it with as much $$ as I can (which isn't much unfortunately).

Arial Type 03-20-2012 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 604445)
With all due respect it's clear he has aged. It's been 14 years since Overseer.

Aging is natural. Nothing to be ashamed of. He looks to be in good health but that doesn't mean he hasn't aged. There's some wrinkling in there.

I'm not trying to cheer up Jones or anything, I seriously think he looks good as new :) At least in this short video. He must be between 50 and 60 now, right?

And as for a wide appeal of Tex, I'm sure they'll use this time wisely and come up with some sort of campaign by the 15th of May. They might advertise it on GOG, or release Tex Murphy games for free, or make some short movies with Chris and his Hollywood friends. And outside adventure community Access was also famous for the Links Golf series - they might remind about it as well.

Kurufinwe 03-20-2012 09:19 PM

I'm really happy that this is happening though, being my usual self, the first things that come to mind are all the ways it could go wrong. I hope they don't set unrealistic goals, and that they try to get new players on board instead of just pandering to old-timers and risking to antagonize everyone else (although doing just that doesn't seem to have hurt the Wasteland 2 kickstarter, so what do I know...).

I do think that Chris Jones looks a bit older, and I wonder how they'll deal with that. I think I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Chance and/or Polarity were supposed to have some time travel elements, so maybe they can work everybody's ageing into the game's story in a clever way.

Anyway, it's weird to think about Tex possibly being back after so long, and I can definitely see myself pledging a lot of money to see that happen — if they can come up with an exciting perspective for the new game.