Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tex Murphy seems to be back (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30649-tex-murphy-seems-back.html)

Erwin_Br 05-17-2012 03:14 PM

Kicktraq is a great way to follow Kickstarter projects. Here's the link to the Tex Murphy project: http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/251...roject-fedora/

You can see the huge drop, but the stats still estimate they will go well beyond 100% funding.

inm8#2 05-17-2012 05:20 PM

^ Beware kicktraq predictions. All they do is take the average daily pledge total and multiply it by the number of days left. The average is inflated by the opening day.

Fien 05-18-2012 08:04 AM

From the 4th update: And now that our product is DRM, DLC and DDT-free, it is safe for the whole family.

:D:D:D

JuntMonkey 05-18-2012 10:31 AM

The big drop offs are pretty standard after the first couple of days. Remember that there will also be a surge in the last few days. And Jane's was in the doldrums until something clicked and it suddenly picked up steam.

talkshow 05-18-2012 01:07 PM

I'm going to hit up major gaming websites to see if they'll do a story on the new Tex Kickstarter. I encourage others interested to do the same. Here's a list of the current top 15 gaming websites:

http://www.ebizmba.com/articles/video-game-websites

Kolorabi 05-18-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuntMonkey (Post 612218)
The big drop offs are pretty standard after the first couple of days. Remember that there will also be a surge in the last few days. And Jane's was in the doldrums until something clicked and it suddenly picked up steam.

Yeah, it looked very bad. But first she got a few very helpful mentions from the Leisure Suit Larry guys (in their video updates too), and then it was confirmed that she had secured funding for a second game. So pretty much everyone jumped to the $50 level to get both. I believe that was the thing that really sealed the deal.

I felt a bit pessimistic about Tex yesterday, due to the whole DRM-mess. Today I think things look better. Despite the large drop off in pledges (which is much more prominent than in most Kickstarters I've seen) there's been a pretty significant amount of money pledged so far and the halfway point is not _that_ far away. I'm also betting there will be some press coverage soon, with interviews et.c. on many of the larger sites. I mean, even Adventuregamers hasn't mentioned the Kickstarter yet, and it's very unlikely that they don't have anything planned.

I would probably advise against spamming the larger sites with mails about the Kickstarter. They most likely know about it. If you're going to mail anyone, at least do it in a polite way. The worst thing anyone can do is send mails in the style of "it's really disappointing that you haven't covered x yet" et.c. Be positive, not negative.

Fien 05-18-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuntMonkey (Post 612218)

Jane was steady all along. With the exception of just 4 or 5 days she consistently got the funding she needed per day, which was about 4500 at first and later 4000.

Siddhi 05-18-2012 07:43 PM

One of the reasons the average per backer is so high is simply because the video and reward tiers are well designed.

Even leaving aside the first day, the campaign is still getting a steady 20,000 every day so far. The required rate is 9000 per day, so its still doing double of what is required.

I'm sure there will be another drop off around the 1 week mark, and thats when the PR and press will have to kick in to attract new backers who may not have heard of Tex or played any of the older games. By then the campaign should be about 50% to the goal which is quite good.

fov 05-18-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 612147)
^ Jane did have some great exposure. You might want to ask fov about that as she has helped Jane with some of the marketing. I don't know how much of it was websites contacting Jane and how much of it was Jane contacting them.

Mostly the latter. Some interview requests came in on their own but almost all of the "big" coverage took work (sometimes over several weeks) to get. The DFA may have set an unreasonable expectation about what the press will cover -- plus it was "first" -- but in general gaming sites need to be given a good reason to cover a Kickstarter project. (And the more similar projects there are clustered together, the harder the sell.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that raising $200k in just a few days, without significant press coverage, is pretty damn amazing. But it's not going to be self-sustaining, so some press coverage could probably help them maintain momentum.

plumgas 05-18-2012 10:15 PM

new video update episode 1 of 3