Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tex Murphy seems to be back (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30649-tex-murphy-seems-back.html)

zane 05-16-2012 06:56 PM

Planning it in advance sure does distort the numbers in the beginning. Tex's first 24 hours were around 4x better than jane's. His 2nd day? Not quite as good as jane's 2nd day.

Owskie 05-16-2012 07:26 PM

I really hope it succeeds. :(

Collector 05-17-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogacuda (Post 612023)
This is simply not true. Regardless of ideal intent, DRM is not expected to PREVENT piracy, but rather to delay it. Most people buy games in the first couple months they're out. If you can come up with a protection scheme that fends off pirates for that long (which many have, in fact) then you've accomplished your goal.

Often many cracks have been put on the internet within hours of the target's release. It takes very little time to put something on a torrent. Any delay due to DRM is next to nonexistent. DRM hurts legitimate customers much more than it is any deterrent to piracy.

mart 05-17-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogacuda (Post 612023)
This is simply not true. Regardless of ideal intent, DRM is not expected to PREVENT piracy, but rather to delay it. Most people buy games in the first couple months they're out. If you can come up with a protection scheme that fends off pirates for that long (which many have, in fact) then you've accomplished your goal.

But it is, in fact, a true statement. If one watches what is going at those (pirate/hacking) sites, you will know that it is a sport in the scene to upload a pirated version as soon as possible. It's a game to be the first. Though it isn't common, sometimes copies are made available even before a game has gone gold.

Oops sorry Collector, missed your post.:pan:

Kolorabi 05-17-2012 02:38 AM

Day 2 was terrible. I can't think of any big Kickstarter that had such a huge drop in pledges, even SpaceVenture had a much better day 2 than this. I am so upset with the anti DRM crowd right now, because of the stink they created. The last time Tex was killed by publishers, this time the internet activists may have been the ones to get him.

VoodooFX 05-17-2012 03:44 AM

Darn, I wasn't expecting an explosion of backers like in the case of DFA, but I was certainly expecting a better start for Tex Murphy game.

And I really doubt DRM uncertainty and DLC controversy are entirely at fault here.

Throughtout the years there was a constant number of people pleading for a new Tex game and I believe they'd buy it even if DRM came in form of game releasing on 5.25" floppy disks.

I'm guessing that group made their pledge already - I just I expected it to be a bigger bunch.

At launch of campaign I hoped they'd double the goal, now I just hope they reach the original goal at all.

Dienerstrasse 05-17-2012 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kolorabi (Post 612052)
Day 2 was terrible. I can't think of any big Kickstarter that had such a huge drop in pledges, even SpaceVenture had a much better day 2 than this. I am so upset with the anti DRM crowd right now, because of the stink they created. The last time Tex was killed by publishers, this time the internet activists may have been the ones to get him.

Yeah. You wish the people who were complaining the loudest about DRM yesterday will also be the loudest ones in spreading the word now that it's been cleared up, so that everyone they managed to convince negatively will see that they've changed their minds. But the cynic in me doubts that's going to happen.

I wish people would just wait for an announcement instead of jumping the gun and get hysterical in the forums before they even know what's true and false. When it comes down to it, we all want this thing to happen, don't we? :(

mart 05-17-2012 03:54 AM

Quote:

Well, it is a legitimate concern imho, in spite of your eloquent wording. Wouldn't prevented me to support them. But the issue, error or not, has been cleared now (see Talkshow's posting and their update #2), and there are still 29 days to go. I think the "Kickstarter fatigue" (see other thread) is a much bigger problem, which sadly also had its impact on Jane Jensen's project (for otherwise the funding might have been much higher, but it is just a wild guess).

millenia 05-17-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dienerstrasse (Post 612060)
Yeah. You wish the people who were bitching the loudest about DRM yesterday will also be the loudest ones in spreading the word now that it's been cleared up, so that everyone they managed to convince negatively will see that they've changed their minds. But the cynic in me doubts that's going to happen.

I wish people would just wait for an announcement instead of jumping the gun and get hysterical in the forums before they even know what's true and false. When it comes down to it, we all want this thing to happen, don't we? :(

I agree with this.

I don't understand the whole issue in either DLC or DRM, they weren't that big of deals. At least I got the impression that the game was DRM free but if it's available on Steam it has to have the Steam DRM there, right? It's not the first game that's available in GoG and Steam for example. And there are people screaming and shouting and canceling pledges and pretty much exploding because they haven't been answered clearly enough in 30 minutes.

I don't like DRM either, nothing against some light DLC content unless there is actually reason to believe that without DLC the game would be unifinished (I don't know one game that would be so). But you can be upset and wait clarification before your pledges, of course. Just don't sabotage the kickstarter project with this kicking and screaming panic.

VoodooFX 05-17-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mart (Post 612063)
I think the "Kickstarter fatigue" (see other thread) is a much bigger problem, which sadly also had its impact on Jane Jensen's project (for otherwise the funding might have been much higher, but it is just a wild guess).

Agree, the fatigue is really starting to show. And I really "hate" these teams for their lack of patience.
At least Chris and Aaron gave us a fix launch date a month in advance, so I could prepare and not spend money elswhere. Yet 2guys from andomeda decided to launch their project few days earlier. Sure, there was info about them considering this venue, but I've never seen a fix launch date.

So it now boils down to this, I really want both, I can only support one. Tex is my choice, so I'm left without the other.

Someone in KS Fatigue thread, or was it here, don't remember, said it best.
As an adventurefan I want them all, I want the big boxes for my evergrowing collection, but just can't finance them all at once. And it feels like I'm missing out on something, and in all fairnes I am - AND it's driving me crazy.

MoP 05-17-2012 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooFX (Post 612071)
Someone in KS Fatigue thread, or was it here, don't remember, said it best.
As an adventurefan I want them all, I want the big boxes for my evergrowing collection, but just can't finance them all at once. And it feels like I'm missing out on something, and in all fairnes I am - AND it's driving me crazy.

High five! (I think ;))
I agree about the Two Guys, they really could've at least waited until Tex gets past the goal...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dienerstrasse (Post 612005)
DRM aside, I hope that Chris and Aaron will take the time to take part in the Kickstarter forum during their campaign. If you look at Jane, she's put in effort to maintain an active dialogue with her fans, which makes her (IMO) really likeable. I _want_ her to succeed, because she's a great designer, of course, but also a lot because she's nice and approachable. These guys are more elusive so far (which has only been one day, granted!), and therefore also come across as more aloof (even if that's not the case at all). If they make an effort to mingle directly with their backers a bit - if only to toss in a short message now and then to show that they're around and interested - I suspect their popularity will grow.

On the other hand, Jane is struggling to reach $400k despite all her video updates and forum posts, so what do I know... :P

I'm backing this notion (how much for a Collectors Edition?)

I think this is seriously needed asap, to get the positive excitement and momentum back. I wonder who is handling the communication right now, because for this whole DRM debacle, I'm afraid he/she deserves a bit of :pan:

Frogacuda 05-17-2012 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zane (Post 612004)
like i said, perfect storm: combination of his fame in different genres, in different time periods, the support from notch, but also because it hadnt been done before, giving it a magical exception to the rule. And i guarentee you DFA wouldv been scrutinized like crazy if it wasnt "the breakthrough project." My proof? its still going to be scrutinized like crazy, except only after the game comes out.

Schafer is also a media darling with access to virtually unlimited free advertising. That's a big part of what allowed it to get as far as it did.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooFX (Post 612071)
So it now boils down to this, I really want both, I can only support one. Tex ismy choice, so I'm left without the other.

I split my pledge between both. If SpaceVenture fails, I'll double down on Tex.

I think a lot of people might do the same. SpaceVenture ends 3 or 4 days ahead of Tex and if it continues to stall, people might just move their pledges over to Tex, especially if it hasn't hit goal yet.

Frogacuda 05-17-2012 05:57 AM

Quote:

Man, the average pledge on Day 1 was like $120. It wasn't the DRM backlash, it was just that Tex's fanbase is small but very passionate, and they gave immediately and generously. That momentum was never sustainable. This will be a long, difficult campaign, like we all knew it would, and we're going to have to work our asses off to promote and get the word out to people.

We need $10,000 a day from now until the end of the campaign. That's doable, it's doing way more than that right now.

Dienerstrasse 05-17-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoP (Post 612080)
High five! (I think ;))
I agree about the Two Guys, they really could've at least waited until Tex gets past the goal...

I'm backing this notion (how much for a Collectors Edition?)

I think this is seriously needed asap, to get the positive excitement and momentum back. I wonder who is handling the communication right now, because for this whole DRM debacle, I'm afraid he/she deserves a bit of :pan:

I just sent them a PM about taking a more active role on the forums on Kickstarter. I figure it can't hurt to actually suggest it to them personally instead of speculating somewhere they likely won't ever see it. :)

DustyShinigami 05-17-2012 07:57 AM

This campaign is in need of media coverage. FACT.

I sent a tweet to Tim Schafer about this project, for him to spread the word/mention it (like he did for Jane), but whether he takes notice of it is another story; he doesn't seem to take any notice of my tweets. :frown:

Frogacuda 05-17-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyShinigami (Post 612103)
This campaign is in need of media coverage. FACT.

Aye. Alas, selling interviews with CJ and AC is harder than selling interviews with Tim Schaefer, or even Al Lowe. They're going to have to work hard to turn heads on this one. The pitch video was a good start, but a successful Kickstarter takes followthrough.

Owskie 05-17-2012 12:24 PM

First 24 hours: $127,804
Second 24 hours: $30,132
3rd day so far: $16, 917

zane 05-17-2012 12:45 PM

Hopefully this is turning into a jane scenario, where theyll get a thin stream of high paying backers over a long period of time. If thats the case they need about 3500-4000 more backers to make it, and so far that looks pretty likely.

Phod 05-17-2012 01:31 PM

This hasn't gotten any press anywhere that I have seen. Jane's got mentioned on every gaming news site I go to but this hasn't gotten a single one.

We need to help spread the word. I didn't think this had a chance of failing at the beginning but now I'm concerned.

inm8#2 05-17-2012 02:33 PM

^ Jane did have some great exposure. You might want to ask fov about that as she has helped Jane with some of the marketing. I don't know how much of it was websites contacting Jane and how much of it was Jane contacting them.

Many of the articles about Jane's project came out early in the kickstarter. I think it might help Chris and Aaron to pace themselves so that there's a more consistent stream of backers and pledges.