You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy seems to be back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM   #181
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshow View Post
I'm sure that would be addressed down the road, if that ever happened. Don't you want Chris Jones & Aaron Conners protected from piracy as much as possible? It helps EVERYONE then. As far as the "best" method... that's what they are looking into. All this bitching about DRM really has been quite surprising to me.
It would be addressed if the rights owners are still in business and invested in their IP. And, of course, I am against piracy - that goes without saying. But no DRM scheme has managed to deter pirates one iota. What it manages to do is to make DRM-protected games unplayable down the road - just take The Moment of Silence as an example. Due to the Starforce protection it came with, legitimate owners can no longer install the game if they use a more recent OS. So the only functional copy one can get out there is the pirate one!

So "all this bitching about DRM" is due to the fact that many people believe that DRM is not just useless, but harmful.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #182

Don't like DRM? Up your pledge to a boxed copy, you bums. hahaha.

Steam does suck though. When Gaben steps down, I bet you they'll enforce monthly fees like Playstation Plus.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
DRM is garbage and there's no need to saddle a crowd-funded game like this with it.
Quite right. It's just naive marketing, and it won't stop at all piracy (no-cd, cracks, serials etc.). It a sign of distrust, that also scares away people that simply buy the games they like (just see the various AG forums over the years). Being addicted, I buy every new adventure game, but I have never bought a game with DRM. (internet) Activation keys are also a sign of distrust, for it makes an external check possible, and in stead one can include such a key in the game box, as some games did. That's a sign of trust, for it shows it is expected that the key isn't handed over to third parties.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #184
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Don't like DRM? Up your pledge to a boxed copy, you bums. hahaha.
Why would that eliminate the DRM?
Old 05-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #185
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
Why would that eliminate the DRM?
It wouldn't.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #186
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terabin View Post
It wouldn't.
Exactly!
Old 05-16-2012, 02:52 PM   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
One thing becomes more and more clear: schafers kickstarter really was a "perfect storm," a magical exception to the laws of physics. If double fine had their shoes reversed with one of these other adventure kickstarters they too would face a barrage of looming doubts and questions. "But WHAT is it?? You wont even give us a title name? or a general theme? Or any kindv screenshots? The beta has drm?? nooooooo."
I conclude that schafer is a devious sorceror.
Honestly, I don't think so. Schafer has been much more prevalent in the public eye with Psychonauts, Costume Quest, Stacking, etc. that if he announced his return to point and click right now it still would be huge. Maybe not $3.3 million huge at this point, but at least $2 million huge. Of course one can argue that without DFA blowing kickstarter wide open the other projects would either not happen or not be funded as well.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-16-2012, 02:55 PM   #188
Schattenjäger

if theres two hornet-nest issues in gaming its: DLC and DRM.
Why oh why did they have to provoke both.

Honestly, i think all this PM nonsense is because they havnt completely decided on the release format details, theres nothing wrong with that. Whats wrong is they took it to private messages with unclear conflicting statements, whacking that hornets nest several time.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #189
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Honestly, I don't think so. Schafer has been much more prevalent in the public eye with Psychonauts, Costume Quest, Stacking, etc. that if he announced his return to point and click right now it still would be huge. Maybe not $3.3 million huge at this point, but at least $2 million huge. Of course one can argue that without DFA blowing kickstarter wide open the other projects would either not happen or not be funded as well.
like i said, perfect storm: combination of his fame in different genres, in different time periods, the support from notch, but also because it hadnt been done before, giving it a magical exception to the rule. And i guarentee you DFA wouldv been scrutinized like crazy if it wasnt "the breakthrough project." My proof? its still going to be scrutinized like crazy, except only after the game comes out.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #190

DRM aside, I hope that Chris and Aaron will take the time to take part in the Kickstarter forum during their campaign. If you look at Jane, she's put in effort to maintain an active dialogue with her fans, which makes her (IMO) really likeable. I _want_ her to succeed, because she's a great designer, of course, but also a lot because she's nice and approachable. These guys are more elusive so far (which has only been one day, granted!), and therefore also come across as more aloof (even if that's not the case at all). If they make an effort to mingle directly with their backers a bit - if only to toss in a short message now and then to show that they're around and interested - I suspect their popularity will grow.

On the other hand, Jane is struggling to reach $400k despite all her video updates and forum posts, so what do I know...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #191
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienerstrasse View Post
DRM aside, I hope that Chris and Aaron will take the time to take part in the Kickstarter forum during their campaign. If you look at Jane, she's put in effort to maintain an active dialogue with her fans, which makes her (IMO) really likeable. I _want_ her to succeed, because she's a great designer, of course, but also a lot because she's nice and approachable. These guys are more elusive so far (which has only been one day, granted!), and therefore also come across as more aloof (even if that's not the case at all). If they make an effort to mingle directly with their backers a bit - if only to toss in a short message now and then to show that they're around and interested - I suspect their popularity will grow.

On the other hand, Jane is struggling to reach $400k despite all her video updates and forum posts, so what do I know...
I agree. Jane had a great PR strategy. She made herself available for interviews, live chats, Q&A's, a reddit AMA, what have you. That was probably partly engendered by Pinkerton's fundraising trend, however. I expect that if Tex's slows down appreciably in the near future, CJ & AC will probably follow Jane's example.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #192
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dienerstrasse View Post
DRM aside, I hope that Chris and Aaron will take the time to take part in the Kickstarter forum during their campaign. If you look at Jane, she's put in effort to maintain an active dialogue with her fans, which makes her (IMO) really likeable.
thats a good point. They might not be ready for an update, but instead of taking it to PM's they should be talking about this in the comments section.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #193

Exactly. I don't think the silent approach is doing them any favours. Better to just jump in with a quick "Hey guys - we know you're concerned and are trying to work something out!" in the forum. Who knows, it might make the grumpy ones less grumpy.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #194

They just made an official post so everyone can relax:

Hello Backers!

We just want to make one thing very clear. We are indeed planning to have the new Tex Murphy game "Project Fedora" DRM free. We don't know where the communication errors began, but you may quote us on the fact that we are DRM - Free.

Thank you guys for the support!

Official word from Aaron Conners and Chris Jones.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #195
Under pressure.

I'm not a big anti-DRM person, but as a backer I do wish they'd spend my money on something that contributes to the game instead of wasting it on DRM. Not because I don't want them to protect their IP, but because it's futile. It's like spending money to make the game box fire resistant. It's not going to work and it's not benefitting the player. So I hope that if they insist on using DRM they go with Steam, and not spend money on a custom system.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #196
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshow View Post
They just made an official post so everyone can relax:

Hello Backers!

We just want to make one thing very clear. We are indeed planning to have the new Tex Murphy game "Project Fedora" DRM free. We don't know where the communication errors began, but you may quote us on the fact that we are DRM - Free.

Thank you guys for the support!

Official word from Aaron Conners and Chris Jones.
Wow, great news. I hope these communication difficulties (this is the second one already) will not cost them too many (potential) backers.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Wow, great news. I hope these communication difficulties (this is the second one already) will not cost them too many (potential) backers.
Yeah, a little bump on the road. Forgotten by tomorrow I'd say.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerminusEst View Post
But no DRM scheme has managed to deter pirates one iota.
This is simply not true. Regardless of ideal intent, DRM is not expected to PREVENT piracy, but rather to delay it. Most people buy games in the first couple months they're out. If you can come up with a protection scheme that fends off pirates for that long (which many have, in fact) then you've accomplished your goal.

That said, this new Tex game isn't planned to have DRM and I have no idea why anyone would assume it would. They've issued a statement clarifying the matter, but frankly, having people pay for a game before it exists is the best DRM ever invented, so I don't think we really need to worry about any of these games having DRM besides maybe Steam.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #199
More slaw!!!

Wow, cant believe how upset people are. I just want the game.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #200

New update, in case you've missed it.

Game is DRM free. Relax Chicken Little!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/251414413/tex-murphy-project-fedora/posts/228532