You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Your ALL time favorite AG heroes?! .. (an optional Poll)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #21
lost in rubacava

So the anonymous hero (AFGNCAAP, The Stranger) doesn't count? Tsk. I'm not exactly sure what 'well crafted' means but here goes:

Manny Calavera (Grim Fandango)
Sherlock Holmes (from The Awakened on)
Dr. John Watson (Nemesis, SH vs Jack the Ripper)
Van Helsing (Dracula: Origin)
George Stobbart (Broken Sword I & II)
Fenton Paddock (Lost Horizon)

NPCs would be more fun. I was itching to name Lady Piermont.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #22

What is it with you and your polls?
Why do we have to follow and discuss arbitrary rules to get a highly debatable best x of all time?
Why can't we have just a discussion about adventure heroes and maybe NPCs like ADan and others suggested? So far there is nothing really "optional" about this poll you are going on about and I just don't see the point of it.

Personally I agree that there is some kind of (funny) adventure-hero-archetype.
The slightly socially awkward "teenager" (even if he is actually older) who gets constantly into trouble, even if he means well. (But in the end will save the day nonetheless.) He might be depressed by his constant problems at times but more often than not he shows a borderline narcissistic self esteem. As a bonus he might also grin at the camera from time to time and share an in-joke with the player.
Simon the sorcerer is another example of this kind.

As for my favorites: (The usual suspects.)

Guybrush Threepwood (as one of the fathers of the hero-type described above. At least in adventure games. In books and movies we have met him many times before and be it just as the awkward sidekick. )
Gabriel Knight
Manny Calavera
Rincewind (though of course he is a book character in the first place. Also I have to say that he lacks personality if you compare him to Vimes for example.)
George Stobbart
With Indy it's hard to say because he also is no "original" adventure character.
I like him in the games but I already liked him before even starting the game.

Some newer ones:
Sissel from Ghost Trick is surely one of the more interesting characters.
(And be it just by the mystery around him and the way his character is slowly built up. At the same time he qualifies as a kind of anonymous hero.)

Wilbur Weathervane has some traits of the "adventure-dork" but also features a heart-warming naivety and takes us on a exemplary journey from the little to the big.

Last edited by Shnubble; 03-08-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #23
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shnubble View Post
i will accept that as a pure Q,
i see poll are the most thing that can show our unity or difference with appreciating adventures games in generall adn its FUN!!.

So if i wanted to know which are the most favorite AG heroes for most of the people here, if i wanted to know that manny calavera and his game are overrated by the reviewers (just for ex.) , if i wanted to know that i am wrong or lets say mistaken about my opinion in Rincewind and Phoenix Wright (which i dont really find them that interesting) i guess this is the best way , A Poll.

and if i went on and chose 15 heroes of ALL adventure out of myself ,members would not appreciate... so i did this thread to gather 15 Names to put them in a poll.

cheers Shnubble

Old 03-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #24

So if 100 people here told you Phoenix Wright is in fact the best character of all times you would change your opinion?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #25
Advie.1

Quote:
So if 100 people here told you Phoenix Wright is in fact the best character of all times you would change your opinion?
honestly i will replay it, and maybe then i would change mine ...yeah

remember Riven and how people (of new generation )always say that this game is not great as all players say... but i know i couple of persons who committed them selves upon these opinions to play it and guess what!, they knew later on what kind of gem they have missed. you know... its never too late as they always say.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Why do we have to follow and discuss arbitrary rules to get a highly debatable best x of all time?
Why can't we have just a discussion about adventure heroes and maybe NPCs like ADan and others suggested? So far there is nothing really "optional" about this poll you are going on about and I just don't see the point of it.
I totally agree
Old 03-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #27
Failed Birthday Elf

Off the top of my head I'll go for:

Gabriel Knight (GK1&3 - teh controverseas!)
George Stobbart (Broken Sword generally)
Brent Halligan (Mystery of the Druids)
Prick Peckard (Barn Runner series)
Ben Jordan (Ben Jordan Series)

and NPC's:

Moseley (GK)
Baron Von Glower (GK2)
That shopkeeper who says "Goooooood Daaaaay Prince Alexander" (KQVI)

May return to add more.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #28
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventurere No.1 View Post
i will accept that as a pure Q,
i see poll are the most thing that can show our unity or difference with appreciating adventures games in generall adn its FUN!!.
But the problem is that they end up as a popularity contest. Instead of ending up with the "best", you just get the "most popular" which is likely going to be Manny Calavera or Guybrush anyway, simply because most people have actually *played* those games...
Quote:
All will be added to a poll in the end so doesnt matter how many times they have mentioned here as long as i can choose 15 afterall
Yeah, but it'll be the same people voting in the poll as well, so results will be very similar to the times the characters were mentioned in the thread...

Btw, I edited my previous post (and added a few names in the process)...
Old 03-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #29
Advie.1

ok GUYS!,
I just dont understand if you dont like this Poll thread idea and want to have a discussion about adventure heroes and NPCs instead or aside from this jsut bald one ... why not go for it and make that thread for what suits your concepts, i guess there are no rules here that forbid you from doing such a thing.
and you can let this thread with the way it is and the members who already have posted their list continue this process and eventually make this Poll i am (at least) looking forward!

Old 03-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #30
lost in rubacava

Just curious, TimovieMan, isn't it possible they're the most popular because they generally are the best thought out?

Most people have played Grim Fandango and Monkey Island? Sure about that?
Old 03-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #31
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Why can't we have just a discussion about adventure heroes and maybe NPCs like ADan and others suggested?
Nothing is stopping you. Start a thread!
Quote:
So far there is nothing really "optional" about this poll you are going on about and I just don't see the point of it.
No one is forcing you to read or participate.

Sorry for the rant, I just get really annoyed with people who are discontent with this thread. If it's not exactly how you'd like it, just leave it be. Jeez!

EDIT: I see now you've said about the same as I just did Adventurere.

Last edited by Jelena; 03-08-2012 at 09:59 AM. Reason: adding content
Old 03-08-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimless View Post
Just curious, TimovieMan, isn't it possible they're the most popular because they generally are the best thought out?
Well, they're popular because they ARE good characters, but the point was that lesser known games can have equally well thought out characters, but those won't get listed just because the games they're in aren't as popular...

Quote:
Most people have played Grim Fandango and Monkey Island? Sure about that?
Out of all the adventure games one can play, I reckon GF and MI will be the ones that the highest number of people on this particular forum have actually played, yes.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #33

April Ryan(from Dreamfall, not the one from TLJ) : Because that's what a real hero should be like. Battlescarred and disillusioned.
David McNamara(Overclocked): Not really a hero but what a great character!
The Critter(Book of Unwritten Tales): Characterwise not very interesting but c'mon you gotta love the little guy and his ingenious way of expressing himself.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #34
Advie.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
But the problem is that they end up as a popularity contest. Instead of ending up with the "best", you just get the "most popular"
Btw, I edited my previous post (and added a few names in the process)...
its fact man,i agree and yes sometimes popular are not the best, but isnt that the way in everything in the whole world ,music,movies even politician .
metalica are more popular than dream theater, but we know who is the best, a movie like twilight is taking credits much much more than it should be, and who Chosen Obama to be president of US, is he the best?!!.
anyway back to adventuring ,BoUT of ex. why was it praised that much, i guess simply because its publisher just played it right from German release until the English one, they only kept people waiting and waiting until they squeezed the market of adventure games and at the end it was already on every player's tongue

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-08-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:49 AM   #35
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADan View Post
-The Little Robot (Machinarium (Does he even have a name?)).
According to the Wikipedia, his name is Josef...
Old 03-08-2012, 11:02 AM   #36

Well, no surprises here, although I can't list characters simply by "series", because even with

Gabriel Knight (I didn't like Erickson's performance, so 1 and 3 for me)
Guybrush Threepwood (Monkey Island 1 and 2 versions only)
Manny Calavera (Grim Fandango)
Ben (Full Throttle)
*All Schafer's works are actually prime examples of character-driven games, although DoTT is not my cup of tea*
Tex Murphy (Tex Murphy 3D trilogy)
George Stobbart (just the first Broken Sword)
Klaymen (The Neverhood and Scullmonkeys)
Robin Hood (Conquests of the Longbow)
Woodruff (Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth)
King Graham (all three King's Quests, even with almost no character he is an ultimate example of adventurer for me)
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #37
Advie.1

just to not lose track ; until now there are 9 heroes only, (of all those mentioned) were repeated more than once

Manny Calavera x6
Ben x2
Clayman x2
Zoë Castillo x2
Gabriel Knight x3
Guybrush Threepwood x7 (wooaw) finally someone beating manny
Rincewind x3
Lewton x2
George Stobbart x4
April Ryan x3

Edit:Mistake in counting with Guybrush Threepwood ..i will be glad if somebody would revise this with me,to avoid any mistakes

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-08-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 AM   #38

Quote:
Nothing is stopping you. Start a thread!
I doubt a second thread with a very similar topic would make much sense.

Quote:
just leave it be. Jeez!
Trust me, more often than not I "leave it be."
But those kind of polls are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, especially when they turn up in seemingly decreasing intervals.

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a quarrelsome mood today.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:16 AM   #39
Advie.1

Quote:

Yeah, I'm in a bit of a quarrelsome mood today.
you are not alone man
just Cheer up

Last edited by Adventurere No.1; 03-08-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #40

Quote:
just to not lose track ; until now there are 9 heroes only, (of all those mentioned) were repeated more than once
And there should be at least two Klaymens by now